Chromium Beta for Raspberry Pi RELEASED!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by LightyKD, Jul 20, 2012.

Jul 20, 2012
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    [​IMG]
    Hey peeps,​
    A Chrome OS beta has been released for the infamous Raspberry Pi. You can grab your copy at the link below :D

2. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The Pi can do so much better than Chromium though... why, why would you put a glorified "browser OS" on it in the first place? :P

3 people like this.
  3. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    I'm a fanboy of Google as much as Apple fanboys are to...that company named after a fruit :P With that said I was actually one of the few people asking around for a project like this in the early days of the Pi forums. This is just plain awesome. The only things keeping me from going 100% Chrome OS is the lack of a proper art application (Mostly Gimp), lack of OnLive gaming and a flash editor :( C'mon Google, help a bruh out!

4. AceWarhead

Member AceWarhead "Must Construct Additional Pylons"

United States
    It's for simpletons, maybe?

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    So...I'm guessing http://pixlr.com/ won't solve your problem?

6. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    Raspberry Pi... Reminds you of something? The pot calling the kettle black. :P
    Chrome OS is a fad, it should die a horrible death. An OS, as the name states, is supposed to be an operating system, not a browser on-top of a system kernel. Web Apps are not native programs, they never fully utilize the specs and they're always crap compated to their "native" equivalents.
    It really isn't. Install proper Linux + Chrome the browser and you'll receive the same end effect plus native applications. :P
    You mean "lack of applications in general" due to the forementioned reason.
    Ain't gonna happen, again, due to the forementioned reason. The editor would have to be browser-based and Adobe isn't stupid enough to do something so laughable - Flash is already quite resource-monging.

Chrome/Chromium is an "OS" for netbooks - computers made solely for browsing the Web. There is no reason to put it on a test board like this or a PC - that's not its purpose.

EDIT: I haz been corrected! :O

7. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    OnLive does not belong to EA. Get your facts straight and OnLive already has browser based gaming since E3 I just don't think it works properly in Linux and Chrome OS yet. You are probably right about installing a Linux distro with Chrome browser but I want to stay within the Google ecosystem. As for the Apple fanboy statement, I was being silly.

8. Foxi4

pip
    Poland
    I read "Origin", my bad. I'll edit my post, thanks for pointing that out. :)

It's 2 A.M here and I'm only alive thanks to energy drinks, take my posts with a pinch of salt. :P

9. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    i really want to get a Raspberry Pi so bad to use as a HTPC in my bedroom, but lack of 10bit mkv playback is all that's stopping me, though i'm probably getting one eventually anyway.
    I honestly rather have that than Chromium.

10. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Uh... folks? You might want to read the article before posting it. This is a Chromium browser binary for Raspbian which is an OS for the board. Not a Chromium OS release.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Soooo... Does this mean Chrome is getting real plug-ins instead of web apps or just Chromium?

12. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    I found this concept pretty cool, actually.

http://php.net/manual/en/book.ming.php

I've only used it a few times for the "holy shit this actually works" factor so I don't know if it supports flash past 7 (the last time an open SDK was released, which is why most third-party players/editors stop at version 7), but if Adobe wanted to make their own library it shouldn't be difficult to make some sort of ajax-y thing that runs a server-script for the final output file on request.

13. ThePowerOutage

Member ThePowerOutage The Lord of the Flyes

United Kingdom
    The OP is wrong. The linked article is for Chromium browser for Raspbian (Debian hardfp)
    ChromeOS was release weeks ago, but bugs in the videocard drivers make it unusable.

14. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    Sorry about the mistake above. The official Raspberry Pi Facebook page made it seem as if link was to Chromium OS for Pi. My bad! Either way We know it's out and about and is still being worked on. Also someone ported Android 4.1 (Jellybean) to ARMv6 and a few guys are trying to bring that over to Pi. If anyone is interested in the link to that project, please say so and I'll post it here.