Hardware Choosing Thermal paste

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
thermal paste, since my AIO includes it's own, it's something i didn't searched about, i want to replace it with a "good one" (people in the internet seem to replace the dried paste and get better thermals, which i do think it's a good investment to get a really good one)
so, what is the most recommended\best brand for thermal paste and what should i know about it?
what's the most used premium branded one?

i already made the mistake of trying to apply an entire tube of paste into a cpu (noob error lol) so i alraedy know it just needs a little pinch of paste..

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For general purpose, both Arctic Silver 5 and IC Diamond are great pastes and very highly recommended.

Reactions: nero99

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Thermal Grizzly Kyronaut.

http://www.eteknix.com/thermal-grizzly-thermal-paste-vs-6-major-brands-review/3/

http://overclocking.guide/thermal-p...d-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

There's not really much between any of the decent pastes (couple of C), but Kyronaut is the best non-conductive paste. Liquid metal stuff is better, but annoying to apply and will mess stuff up if it goes where it shouldn't.
never heard of it... but i will search on it, thanks

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
still if you apply it correctly (a tiny drop, and not the entire tube) it should be pretty safe...

It's the shear thought of it.
I admit, I used to use it, until better thermal pastes came along and weren't conductive.
Any console/pc repair I do will be met with a high grade non-conductive paste.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It's the shear thought of it.
I admit, I used to use it, until better thermal pastes came along and weren't conductive.
Any console/pc repair I do will be met with a high grade non-conductive paste.
did ya try any liquid metal one? lol i am not even sure how you apply liquid metal... i am thinking you need to make a shield or something so the liquid doesn't spill over the mobo

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silver particles suspended in the paste, no ty.
I've gotten as5 all over my CPU before and it was all fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

did ya try any liquid metal one? lol i am not even sure how you apply liquid metal... i am thinking you need to make a shield or something so the liquid doesn't spill over the mobo
It's actually not that hard. Only use a tiny drop. Also only use if you are deluding your CPU.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There's just no reason to buy it anyway. If you have already got it, fair enough. If you haven't, what's the point? It generally performs worse than competing pastes. Sells on name only.

Most generally only use it on the die when delidding anyway.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

I'll just stick to pastes.
I'm no overclocker but do strife for low temps.
Especially when it comes to RROD/YLOD prevention.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
wh
There's just no reason to buy it anyway. If you have already got it, fair enough. If you haven't, what's the point? It generally performs worse than competing pastes. Sells on name only.

Most generally only use it on the die when delidding anyway.

woa... didn't knew you could actually do this and take this extreme lol..

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Since Devil's Canyon there's less need to delid CPUs since they use better thermal compounds now. Personally I used a Zalman thermal paste because it comes with a brush applicator. A steady hand and you can get a perfect application "with the consistency of nail polish". They come in really tiny bottles however so they only last a dozen systems or so.

For people with less steady hands, the standard pea-sized blob in the middle technique works.

Reactions: migles

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
:huh: Kabylake has shocking thermal paste. Difference between delidded and decent tim vs stock is 20C or so.

It that's good, I'd hate to see what it was when it was bad.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what does that mean? it is good? bad?

It means the thermal paste intel use between the die and ihs is still meh.

http://www.eteknix.com/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-delidding-analysis-make-difference/4/

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/02/intel_kaby_lake_i57600k_cpu_delid_relid_temp_results/

Whether it's the paste, or too much sealent Intel use to attach the ihs is still up for debate, but delidding generally still makes a big difference.

It's not worth worrying about anyway. Either you delid (and void the warranty) or you live with the junk Intel use. At stock, the stuff Intel use doesn't really make a difference, you'll still run well within thermal limits.

Last edited by Armadillo,
Reactions: migles

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: @Xdqwerty, Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! is the Japanese version of the game, different... +1