Hacking Choosing Flash Cart

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So I want a flash cart for a ds lite that can run DS games. Since I know that DSTwo is impossible to get, and as I also want to play gba games, I'll need to get a EZFlash 3in1, I think...
My question is: What is a good Flash Cart for the DS Lite that is compatible with the EZflash 3in1, and, if any portuguese answer this thread, what websites can I use to purchase these items? :D

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The 3 in 1 can be used by any DS slot flash cart with a DLDI patch (so basically all of them) if you use a program like http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-gba-exploader-0-58b-f3680.html
If it is for a DS lite and you just want games and a DLDI patch you have many more options than if you wanted it for the 3ds or DSi, though the 3ds has a few more options these days ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-use-blocked-ds-flashcards-on-3ds-probably-n3ds-too.376719/ ). If you are not going to go DStwo then most would suggest a R4 that is compatible with Wood (the third party loader that draws from the same code base as AKAIO).

On the GBA side of things I should also note the EZ4 is back in production ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/new-ez4-sdhc-in-house-at-gbatemp.381182/ ) and using microSD so you might consider that.

Not sure what sites there are in Portugal these days, there were a few at one point though. Hopefully someone else will know.

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What R4 would you recommend? A cheap and decent one :P Even tho I heard all R4 are the same. Would a R4 Dual Core SDHC work?
So... what good websites that ship worldwide would you recommend?

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3in1 and use the following card with it as it runs Wood which has 3in1 functionality. Rumble function you set per game (low/middle/high). The expansion part works automatically eg. when you run something that uses it like quake 2, it finds the extra memory. I use GBA Exploader to run GBA stuff, as you don't need to patch the games for saving apart from the odd one (Rayman Advance needs patching).

http://www.3dsgamerworld.com/r4i-gold-3ds-rts-for-3ds-3ds-xl-2ds-dsi-dsi-xl-p-2.html

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
R4 was originally just a flash cart for the DS, kind of tied to the M3 team. For whatever reason it became the most popular DS flash cart (my guess is it was really easy to use) and it became a byword for flash cart (similar to how some people use terms like jailbreak for every single instance of hacking). They actually stopped doing much of anything quite long ago but the word stuck. After that every other flash cart maker, including some of the big ones, made something with R4 in the name somewhere. They were not all made equal and some were clones/OEM versions of radically different carts.

When the R4 stopped the updates also stopped so it became a byword for unsupported junk, however the people behind Wood managed to figure out how it all worked and ported some of the code that underpinned AKAIO to it. Not everything with R4 in the name is compatible with wood and that is not great as not all the basic loaders that came with them. DSi/3ds compatible flash carts are actually quite different to the original R4 and other similar flash carts but wood was made to work with some of them as well. Granted the majority of DSi/3ds compatible R4s will probably be able to do serious damage to the DS library. However as you have already seen the DS flash cart market is sort of drying up, I doubt it will reach the levels that the GBA one got to a couple of years ago/before the EZTeam came back but you might as well get it sorted now when it easier to do.

I am not sure what the current hotness is, I dare say it is the R4i gold but I have not really had to keep up with that world.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
If you aren't opposed to only having 2GB of space (non-SDHC), then I would honestly suggest just picking up a 1:1 Original R4. They cost very little, and a few sites have flat out given them away in the past. They run Wood R4 as it's meant to be run, as Wood was made for this cart, and the 3in1 functions without any extra applications since functionality is worked into the firmware. It only works on DSlite and DS Phat, but since you want 3in1 functionality, that should be a relatively non-issue.

I mean, look at this, less than $2. To me, that's worth working with only 2GB which has always been more than enough for me.

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If you aren't opposed to only having 2GB of space (non-SDHC), then I would honestly suggest just picking up a 1:1 Original R4. They cost very little, and a few sites have flat out given them away in the past. They run Wood R4 as it's meant to be run, as Wood was made for this cart, and the 3in1 functions without any extra applications since functionality is worked into the firmware. It only works on DSlite and DS Phat, but since you want 3in1 functionality, that should be a relatively non-issue.

I mean, look at this, less than $2. To me, that's worth working with only 2GB which has always been more than enough for me.
Does that flash card do everything I want it to do? It runs Wood R4 so its compatible with the 3in1, correct? But, can it only have 2GB, right? How many games can it hold, since I dont know crap about sd cards.
Also, what does SDHC mean?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anything that has DLDI can deal with the 3 in 1, as DLDI was the standard method for allowing different flash carts to have homebrew access their SD cards then basically everything has it.

SD = old style of memory card, limited mainly to 2 gigs.
SDHC = newer style of memory card that rose up during the DS lifetime. Not sure what the max size is (there is some confusion between flash carts and the later spec SDXC) but 32 gigabytes is SDHC and goes pretty cheap these days (not the best deal I have seen but http://www.fnac.pt/Samsung-Evo-Micr...S-1-Cartao-de-Memoria-Cartao-Micro-SD/a830810 is not bad for a class 10).

Most flash cart companies released a new model when SDHC became a thing that people wanted, they claimed updates would not do it and it could go either way really. The fact remains that the R4 is not going to support SDHC.

DS games
http://www.advanscene.com/ lists sizes for various games, usually in Mbit (divide it by 8 so 256Mbit = 32 megabytes). You can figure out if that is enough space for you. The largest games I think were 4096 Mbit aka 512 megabytes (mainly Japanese games and all the various region dupes of Pokemons black 2 and white 2). The vast majority of games are 256, 512 or 1024 Mbit (32, 64 and 128 megabytes). The desire to have a massive library of games is fine but many find they do not play anything when they have that much choice.

Oh and GBA games top out at 32 megabytes but most are 16 or less.

Reactions: cvskid

Beat_

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So would you recommend me getting the original R4 and a ezflash 3in1? Would that work well?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tend not to mind dropping some cash on modding devices for whatever I am using. That said if you can deal with the lack of space then an original R4 that is Wood compatible will allow you to go through the DS library on a DS lite and use a 3 in 1 to go through basically all of the GBA one as well.

If you can get a wood compatible R4i something then you can have all that and SDHC support.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The name of that particular clone/thing with R4 in the name rings a bell and not for being bad. Looking around it is not a Wood compatible one (just a loader based upon it) but the site ( http://www.r4isdhc.com/r4-product/ ) does seem to still be around so I guess you could do worse.

Other than Wood I tended not to pay attention to anything with R4 in the name though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse