Homebrew Check memory leaks and debuging in 3ds development

antoniorand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello, I'm developing a graphic engine for my college thesis, a library for the 3ds so everyone can build 3d games.

But I'm starting coding and I have to make sure first of these:

- How to check if there's a memory leak while running the application.

- If there's a memory leak, how can I debug it.

It would be really helpful since I don't want to brick my console or something.

Thanks in advance

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm developing a graphic engine for my college thesis, a library for the 3ds so everyone can build 3d games.

But I'm starting coding and I have to make sure first of these:

- How to check if there's a memory leak while running the application.

- If there's a memory leak, how can I debug it.

It would be really helpful since I don't want to brick my console or something.

Thanks in advance
luma3ds has a debugging option but I don't know if it also works on old 3ds's, my new 2ds xl has the option so depends on what hardware you are targeting.

antoniorand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
luma3ds has a debugging option but I don't know if it also works on old 3ds's, my new 2ds xl has the option so depends on what hardware you are targeting.
Must say my target machine is a New 2ds xl so that will be really helpful too.

laramie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must say my target machine is a New 2ds xl so that will be really helpful too.
yeah if you'd like to do both you can but you'd need to make two functions to determine different console types then just sort memory features accordingly. Hope that helps :P

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
You can detect memory leaks by overriding malloc() and free() via the linker options "-Wl,--wrap=malloc,--wrap=free". Then make the functions "__wrap_malloc()" and "__wrap_free()". You can then hook every memory allocation/deallocation with these 2 functions and track if everything is getting free'd on exit.

Oh and the real malloc() and free() functions can be accessed by calling "__real_malloc()" and "__real_free()".

antoniorand

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You can detect memory leaks by overriding malloc() and free() via the linker options "-Wl,--wrap=malloc,--wrap=free". Then make the functions "__wrap_malloc()" and "__wrap_free()". You can then hook every memory allocation/deallocation with these 2 functions and track if everything is getting free'd on exit.

Oh and the real malloc() and free() functions can be accessed by calling "__real_malloc()" and "__real_free()".
woah that's actually REAAAALLY helpful, now I'm not actually not scared of breaking anything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, gta v is down since november 2021