Chavo Chastises: The Xbox Reputation

Xbox_One_logo.png
In the Year 2013, Microsoft announced a successor to the largely successful gaming system, Xbox 360. Their announcement consisted of a funnily named console, a focus on non-gaming related material, and some policy’s that rocked the sweaty, meaty heads of gamers across the world.

That conference has since become the infamy of the now nearly 2 year old console, the Xbox One. A console that faces the ridicule of being egregiously overshadowed by its competitor, the Playstation 4, and mocked by anyone else that has never had a hands on experience with it.

Today, I wanted to take a look at this reputation Xbox has garnered for itself. A simple look into the overall drama that Xbox seemed to generate for itself years ago, and apply it to the reasoning people seem to hold against it today.

Today, I want to talk about the mindset that we, as gamers, seem to keep and hold against companies for their mistakes, and our ability to let things overshadow our way of thinking, and our overall mindset towards Microsoft’s gaming platform.

So first, let's get started with where it all began.

icons_1.gif

In 2013, Microsoft unveiled the Xbox One, the, “All in One home media entertainment system.” The Xbox One was designed to make everything easily accessible in all forms of media, from Gaming, to music, to movies, and television.

However, we also received a lot of information that made our hair stand up on the back of our necks, caused our bowels to boil, and made our sweaty hands clench together as if to strangle Don Mattrick by the neck.

We were told we would have to check in to the internet once every 24 hours to ensure DRM policies. Ouch. We were told the Kinect, (or spybox as so many endearing internet users would have you believe,) would be bundled with every system, and we would never have a console without one. We were told used games would no longer function on our consoles. We had media and other forms of entertainment shoved in our faces as if we were supposed to be more excited over these aspects, than the gaming itself!

And of course, we all can agree. The thing looks like a VCR. Haha, how funny, that’s great, because all our other consoles looked like fine and dandy futuristic pieces of technological future boxes, but I digress.

18ofnvqs4us72jpg.jpg

These announcements didn’t sit well with gamers across the nation, and for good, justified reason too. Microsoft had their head in the wrong place, and attempted to change the industry in so many ways, people were shocked. They were appalled, they were frightened and refused to acknowledge the ways of gaming would ever be forced to transition to methods like these.

And you would think Microsoft would maybe learn from this initial unveiling, and attempt to do some damage control right? Well…

At E3 2013, the hole only dug itself into a meteor sized crater. Policies weren’t changing, media was focused on even more than gaming, and the price point was scary. $500 was the entry level for the Xbox One, versus the $400 price point of the Playstation 4. Not to mention, Sony managed to get in some good punches with the snarky, (yet ultimately hilarious,) videos of lending games to your friends, taking shots at the used games policies.

What we were left with after E3, was worldwide ridicule over the Xbox One’s horrific marketing, shoddy policies, and overall negative treatment to the dedicated gamers that had interest in it. Gifs sprouted everywhere of Mattrick screaming TV in people’s faces, or of Sony and Nintendo beating the console into the dirt. The Xbox One had officially become, the joke of the internet.

You really can’t blame people for it either. The policies sucked, there was little, to no defense for them, and people realized that. The thing people didn’t seem to realize however, is Xbox inevitably realized it too.
bOGdIFW.gif
After plenty of hazing, plenty of ridicule, Xbox announced that it was reversing most of its’ initial policies. The internet check in was abolished, the used game lockout system was dropped, and the company attempted severe damage control… a little while after the fact.

Was it enough to sway people? Well, the system did manage to sell 1 million units in the first 24 hours of release, much like its competition, the Playstation 4. The going was slow, the uptake was shaky, but people still bought the system.

Now we reach 2014. The system was doing okay… while simultaneously being obliterated by its competition. People still continued to mock the Xbox for all its mistakes, its price point, and the continued forced nature of the Kinect and focus on media. And it didn’t seem like Microsoft was going to budge on these propositions either. People continued to bash the system, and the joke legacy seemed like it would never fade.

At E3 2014, things started to change a little more. While the Call of Duty’s and Halo’s were still present, there was a 900% increase in focus on games. TV went unmentioned, there were no scary, ominous remarks on future policies, and they finally announced a kinectless system for the world.

xbox399.png

The reaction? Lackluster at best. While people didn’t have as much to joke about, they instead used the show as fodder to talk about how this is as it should have been in the first place. And once again… they have a point. And yet, there’s something people tend to neglect to pay attention to.

It’s the fact that Microsoft responded to feedback. They changed their heavy handed policies, in response to the passionate, dedicated ravings of the internet. No company has to do that. No company is forced to listen to the ravings of an angry keyboard pounder at any point in time. And you can argue that they did it to save their skin, and continue to make money, and obviously that point is going to be true. But it doesn’t change the fact that they responded, and have now opened themselves up to all forms of feedback in a much more accepting manner.

Let’s take a look at what happened after the initial reveal again, but on the company’s side some more. Microsoft created the Xbox Preview program to allow users to try out certain updates and give expansive feedback in order to garner user experience, and further tweak the system and service to better serve the users.

Xbox continued to listen and adjust to feedback in policy, user experience, and in their overall business outlook. Soon the Xbox One would see a price cut, multiple user centered updates, and a larger focus on games over the initial media claims.

While most of it when generally unnoticed by the average internet user, the Xbox continued to attempt to improve and re-establish ground as a competent gaming platform.

Fast forward to present day, and that remains true. Microsoft has promised more user enhanced experience through a new dashboard, connectivity between the Xbox live and Windows 10 platform, backwards compatibility, new IP, new games, user generated mods on consoles, introduction of Hololens, and a better Xbox experience.

2884825-2639320673-CHjkw.png

In less than a year and half, Microsoft has continued to listen and improve what was initially, a relatively poor concept for a gaming platform. The internet doesn’t forget, but the internet should also learn to open up to change and dedication. Microsoft did not have to conform to fan feedback, and could have stuck to their guns, angering and alienating gamers everywhere. Instead, they chose to step back, improve, and listen to what people want.

The platform may not have what you want to play, and there isn’t anything wrong with that. You have the choice to play on something that has the games you want to play. And you have the right to judge any book by its cover. But you can at least pay attention to the edits the author makes, and acknowledge where they attempt to improve. You may not like it based on fan favoritism, and that’s nothing to sneeze at either.

Obviously, people may dislike the console for a variety of other reasons. An excess of shooters, a bro-gaming stereotyped community, and a focus on sports games. It seems to almost alienate the fans of JRPG's, and other genre's in general. It isn't the platform for everyone, yet also takes flak for appealing to a target demographic.

Xbox’s reputation has been rocky ever since that infamous reveal of 2013. Is it right for people to continue to judge it based on mistakes it has remedied, and continues to try to remedy, today? And is it right to judge the entire platform based on the fact that it creates content for people that enjoy, said content?

Once again fellow gamers. That choice, is up to you.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't think it's a joke Platform. Well I did at the beginning of it's lifecycle with the "Game devs have the power to stop you from reselling physical games" and "You always need to be online to do anything" and "you are forced to buy Kinect" and the extreme focus on TV which luckily got sorted out.
However there isn't much game variety. The only game that was interesting for me for a long time was Halo master chief collection and Halo 5. Only recently did Microsoft announced rare replay and Sea of Thieves which looked good.
Backwards compatibility is also nice since it lets me visit 360 exclusives that I might've missed since I didn't had a 360.
But whats also kinda a bummer for me is that I don't know anybody who owns a Xbox One and those who did own a 360 don't like the One.
I subscribed to the Xbox YouTube Channel to get a better idea of Xbox's Functions and one Video showcased the Cortana functionality which looked extremly cool. Something like "Cortana, is Chavosaur online?" and she would tell you if he is without stopping the game, very nice.
There are also little Japanese games, since in Japan Xbox sells even less than PS Vita TV, and I really like those games.
I kinda wish that Xbox live Gold would have a little more value to it. PS+ gives you 6 games and XLG only 4. With Windows 10 they could make it so that you get 2 PC games too. This way PC was more interesting for Console Gamers and vice versa.
But yeah overall I'm more keen on purchasing a XBO than ever.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice read. Thoughts while reading this:

1. lol it does look like a VCR
2. The backwards compat thing has me so jelly you could spread my on bread. But actually the more I think about it, the angrier I get. Why would you need BC on an XBone? The biggest and best games are already HD ports on the One, or available elsewhere. The exclusive games list for the one isnt big enough to merit BC. Give that to someone like PS4 owners so we dont need to have a PS4 and PS3 to gather up free titles each month.
3. Its too bad the Kinect was fear mongered out of the picture. I thought it was a neat idea, spying or not. What do I care? How else am I going to get to play sweet arcade titles like Child of Eden? :c

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Ofcourse it's a joke.
It's the Xboner.
Can't wait to get me hands on one and turn it pink with Hello kitty etc.

In all honesty, come on, you know me.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
I absolutely love the controller. Great D-Pad and its so comfortable in my hands, second only to the GC controller. I have a thing for the analog sticks too, so much so that I put a pair on my PS4 controller.

As for the console, I consider it more of a Joke than the Wii U. I own the Wii U and play on it, because there are games i'd actually play. As for the Xbox One, there isn't a single game on the system that I want to play that I can't get on the PS4, there are next to no good exclusives. I think they're starting to drag themselves out of the dirt a bit now, but I think it's too little, too late.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I absolutely love the controller. Great D-Pad and its so comfortable in my hands, second only to the GC controller.
Serious?

GameCube's controller never had the left shoulder button and the damn D-PAD was tiny to make some actual proper use of it. Great controller for games that don't make too much use of these two items.

Reactions: Azel

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Serious?

GameCube's controller never had the left shoulder button and the damn D-PAD was tiny to make some actual proper use of it. Great controller for games that don't make too much use of these two items.

I was talking more about how comfortable it was. It did mess up by only having a single shoulder on the left, more people would've used it for more PC games and more Wii games if it had two buttons on each shoulder like most modern controllers. But the GC pad is incredibly comfortable to someone like me who has pretty stubby fingers but a massive palm. I like that about the Xbone controller too.

I also think it's easier to make a joke about a console whose name can be construed as a penis; Xbox One - XBone - XBoner. That's part of the Wii's Problem. It has a horrible name. Neither names say "respect me as a gaming platform".

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
The name 'Xbox One' to me is still a joke. Why they would call the third generation of Xbox the 'One' is beyond me. Plus it shortens to 'Xbone' which is pretty funny as well.

It's not about the name though, it's about what it does. Look at the 'Wii'. Retarded-ass name, but did really well for itself.

I recently got an Xbox One over a PS4, for a few reasons: My entire Rock Band song collection was on Xbox 360, the new Kinect games are awesome (Don't tell me they aren't!), and I hate Sony with a bloody passion.

After only a couple weeks of owning it, I must say I'm very happy with it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I definitely don't think the Xbox One is a joke platform, I think it'll earn its respectable 2nd place this generation or even catch up to the PS4 in time. Although it had a bumpy start, ever since the change of the guard in the Xbox division the team has been making one good decision after the other, possibly thanks to Phil Spencer's influence and his planned new direction for the system. There's a lot to like about the Xbox One, it definitely has more robust multimedia functionality than the PS4, for instance. I also like how it has an HDMI In, not just an HDMI Out, I think it contributes to it being a really great media center for the whole household. The upcoming streaming to Windows 10 devices is also something worth noting, not to mention the planned cross-compatibility of assets with PC versions of games. As far as backwards compatibility is concerned, recompiling certain titles for the Xbox One and sending the necessary data to the console as if it was a downloadable title was a clever way to "support" 360 games, but positive press aside I don't think it's a terribly useful function - I was never bothered by BC and I'm still not bothered now. People may rave about it, but they'll never use it, really, especially since the list of titles will probably be limited. Hardware-wise the system is weaker than the PS4, but unlike the Wii U it still meets the par of the generation, so unless someone's obsessed with resolution wars, that's really not a reason to skip the Xbox One. On the flip side, there's a large number of upcoming and currently available exclusive titles for the system which make it quite desirable. I'm positive that I'll grab one sooner or later, especially since the price was cut below the PS4 point which was a great move by the division. As long as they push hardware units, they can make up for their losses in software sales - that's what really matters. To summarize, no, the Xbox One is no joke, it was simply initially misunderstood by the public, not to mention that the Xbox division had to go through a transformation before they could really market the system effectively. As it stands now, it's a genuinely good console and I hope it has a bright future ahead of it.

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Not really sure if joke platform but the meme one.

-Has mediocre multiplats. but at least receive them, unlike Wii U.
-Has mostly sports, shooters or meme games.
-Has a pact with the devil(EA).
-Try to be the very best so hard that added needless backward compatibility. the good games are already or will be remastered. and who sells his 360 to get a One??
-Let you see TV..... ON YOUR TV!!!!
-So big uses your entire rack. even VCRs weren't that big.

that summed to the retarded people that still think the anti-user policies are there is what make it the joke/meme platform. Wii U is the complementary one.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Not really sure if joke platform but the meme one.

-Has mediocre multiplats. but at least receive them, unlike Wii U.
-Has mostly sports, shooters or meme games.
-Has a pact with the devil(EA).
-Try to be the very best so hard that added needless backward compatibility. the good games are already or will be remastered. and who sells his 360 to get a One??
-Let you see TV..... ON YOUR TV!!!!
-So big uses your entire rack. even VCRs weren't that big.

that summed to the retarded people that still think the anti-user policies are there is what make it the joke/meme platform. Wii U is the complementary one.

Just because it has multiplats it doesn't make it good, just take Project C.A.R.S on Wii U for example, would you want it released even though it'd be running only at 720/23? I'd rather not.

Not only would it be the worst port but no one would buy it either.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Just because it has multiplats it doesn't make it good, just take Project C.A.R.S on Wii U for example, would you want it released even though it'd be running only at 720/23? I'd rather not.

Not only would it be the worst port but no one would buy it either.
I was talking that Xbone at least has multiplats, with reduced settings like less resolution or worse textures and less bells and whistles, but has them. anyway by less is like 5% worse than PS4, nothing terrible to make your eyes breed, but people still makes memes of it. that was my whole point in that item saying that the Xbone is the meme platform.
Wii U has near to none, making it immediately inferior in that aspect.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hololens is baws, i'd try that. Its gimicky but its doing fantastic job for what it is. I was legitimately surprised when i saw that " gaze and speak " function of it.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is better for people like me who like mostly Japanese games but Sony, correct me if I'm wrong, was also looking into and planning some of the same types of nasty DRM policies for the PS4 until people(myself included) got pissed at MS and shit all over them until they changed their tune. In short, Sony is just as bad as MS if you really look at it objectively, and the industry as a whole is kinda shit, especially if you despise all the social media nonsense & DLC scams like I do. There is some cool shit being developed atm though.

Also, this

e: voted indifferent because the industry as a whole the way it's going turns me off, not just MS.

Reactions: Azel

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony is better for people like me who like mostly Japanese games but Sony, correct me if I'm wrong, was also looking into and planning some of the same types of nasty DRM policies for the PS4 until people(myself included) got pissed at MS and shit all over them until they changed their tune. In short, Sony is just as bad as MS if you really look at it objectively, and the industry as a whole is kinda shit, especially if you despise all the social media nonsense & DLC scams like I do. There is some cool shit being developed atm though.

Also, this

e: voted indifferent because the industry as a whole the way it's going turns me off, not just MS.
No I think you are right, but I think they saw how well M$ did and then decided against using them? That might be a poor translation of what actually happened, but you get the idea.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The other week in a store, I overheard someone talk about the Xbone and two issues came up:
1) Mis-information (thinking it lacked blu-ray playback)
2) Power (or lack thereof compared to the PS4)

Considering how even just a year ago I know someone who thought the Wii-U was an 'addon', I think MS have allot of marketing to do.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
The other week in a store, I overheard someone talk about the Xbone and two issues came up:
1) Mis-information (thinking it lacked blu-ray playback)
2) Power (or lack thereof compared to the PS4)

Considering how even just a year ago I know someone who thought the Wii-U was an 'addon', I think MS have allot of marketing to do.

Wii U probably would've been more successful if it was just an 'addon'.

That gets me too how people think the Xboner is underpowered. It is quite powerful, it's just still tied to a constant 30fps unlike the PS4 which has lots of 60fps titles, and MS doesn't seem to have optimised the console properly. I'd still never consider buying one, but MS really are just horrible at marketing this 'console'.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wii U probably would've been more successful if it was just an 'addon'.

That gets me too how people think the Xboner is underpowered. It is quite powerful, it's just still tied to a constant 30fps unlike the PS4 which has lots of 60fps titles, and MS doesn't seem to have optimised the console properly. I'd still never consider buying one, but MS really are just horrible at marketing this 'console'.
No amount of optimization will make up for a smaller GPU - the PS4 just has more GCN cores while the Xbox One has embedded eSRAM in their place in order to make up for their use of DDR3 memory rather than GDDR5.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo definitely fucked up the marketing for the Wii U and I'm sure there are still plenty of people who still think the Wii U is some sort of peripheral for the Wii. The gamepad was a mistake imo; Nintendo should've made it more powerful although personally I'm not that picky about graphical capabilities/raw horsepower.

Bortz said:
No I think you are right, but I think they saw how well M$ did and then decided against using them? That might be a poor translation of what actually happened, but you get the idea.

That's my point. If MS had received positive reception, Sony likely would've done the same thing. Considering the fact that Sony did the "me too" thing as far as putting online play behind a paywall(fuck you), it's not like they're any better than MS morally. The people running these companies are all greedy, amoral(at least when it comes to business) empty suits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.