Hardware Charging station for portables (3DS, Vita, etc)?

becoming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got quite a few systems that I rotate between or otherwise play regularly - a few N3DSXLs, a few N3DS, a N2DSXL, a couple of OLED Vitas, a couple of Switch Lites, and an OG Switch that I play undocked exclusively (data no longer works through its USB-C port, that's a whole other thread). I don't need to be charging all of these at the same time of course, but I think i'd like to either buy or build a charging station that I could put, say, six systems on simultaneously (more is fine, could probably live with only five, but I'd really like to get at least six on there). Power should be provided via USB-A ports, and since most specialty cables are reasonably long, there is a strong preference for some sort of cable management. The New 3DS XL and New 3DS are a bit chunky and don't slide down into the device slots on my tablet charging station (Skiva 84W 7-Port USB Charging Station, Amazon product ID B011NUN1LU) so something with a bit more room is a requirement.

I'm not against building this myself; I'm by no means a master woodworker, but I know a few folks that are damn close and who would be happy to provide guidance and use of their workshops. That having been said, organization is a problem for me today, and the quicker I can fix this problem, the better.

What are the ladies and gentlemen of GBAtemp doing to organize and charge their collection of handhelds? Is there a charging station you've found to be particularly good? Did you or a friend build one that you're willing to show off?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never seen something like that since each uses a different charging cable. I did recently find a charging station for the switch which works with the nes controllers as well, instead of having them stuck on the switch. I don't know how nintendo messed that one up, but at least they rectified it with the snes controllers having a charging port.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
There is official charging docks for the N3DS, the N3DSXL but not for the N2DSXL. For the N2DSXL there is this unofficial one. This Vita Craddle is official, but it's expensive as balls for just being a chargin' dock. And for the Switch, well, the regular dock should do the job. You could buy one by one and try to assemble some kind of, gigantic ultimate dock.
But... I would not recommend you to connect all of this at the same time, and not even to try and charge all of those consoles at the same time (not even without a charging dock) because it could damage the plug, or even worse, your consoles.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

becoming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you both for the thoughtful responses.

I do have an official Vita cradle, two official N3DSXL docks, and an official N3DS dock; these all work fine, but I'm more looking for capacity over the ability to just drop a system in a dock. In other words, I'm happy to have to manually plug in the consoles instead of docking them, but I'd like to be able to get six or so systems lined up and charging together. I currently do this with an Anker 6-port USB charger and USB-to-3DS/Vita/USB-micro cables, but I don't have anything to hold/organize the consoles and thus the setup is a bit messy. I have the flexibility I want - a 3DS cable will charge my DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, N2DSXL, N3DSXL, and N3DS systems whereas only two of those will fit in the docks that I have - but I lack the organization and tidiness.

I will provide the cables, and the USB power source if necessary. I'm really just looking for something to neatly hold the systems while they charge. Finding such a system for tablets or phones is rather simple but I'm coming up empty for handhelds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool