Hardware Charging European 3DS in the US

Gas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'm going to move to the US and I plan on bringing my 3DS (standard size) with me. But I'm confused as to what's the best charging option; a local (110v) power supply or a usb cable and charger. I've seen many threads around but I'm still confused.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
you can purchase a charger like the one you already got, but made for USA
i checked my charger (official from nintendo) and i was surprised that it only supports 220-240 volts.. because nowadays most chargers or adapters are made to support 110v-240v; when that happens you just have to find a traveler adapter because the plugs are different.. but on the case of the 3ds charger you can't use thoose adapters

if you plan to move and don't come back, i would suggest to sell the charger and buy one in the US...
otherwise you can also get a usb cable and get rid of the problem (you just need a phone usb charger that supports the US current.. or charge the console on a computer or outlets that come with usb ports) ... however i do like to only use official accesories and nintendo doesn't provided a usb cable\charger... so you have to get one from third party

Last edited by migles,
Reactions: Gas

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
I remember back in the NDS days, i hacked up a USB cable and a NDS charger cable and constructed a USB charger. It's only 4 wires to join up and i didn't even use soldering. Just twist wires together and wrap it with electrical tape.

Alternatively just buy a US spec charger. Or you can get really serious and buy a step up transformer.....

Gas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
you can purchase a charger like the one you already got, but made for USA
i checked my charger (official from nintendo) and i was surprised that it only supports 220-240 volts.. because nowadays most chargers or adapters are made to support 110v-240v and you just have to find a traveler adapter because the plugs are different..

if you plan to move and don't come back, i would suggest to sell the charger and buy one in the US...
otherwise you can also get a usb cable and get rid of the problem (you just need a phone usb charger that supports the US current.. or charge the console on a computer or outlets that come with usb ports) ... however i do like to only use official accesories and nintendo doesn't provided a usb cable\charger... so you have to get one from third party

I'll see if I can get a local charger. Thank you very much!

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I'm going to move to the US and I plan on bringing my 3DS (standard size) with me. But I'm confused as to what's the best charging option; a local (110v) power supply or a usb cable and charger. I've seen many threads around but I'm still confused.
Buy a $3 USB 3ds charger off of amazon or ebay. So much simpler.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i wouldn't recommend using a usb charger too often, they provide slightly higher voltage than the 3DS is designed for.
it won't outright kill your 3DS, but it might be damaging in the long run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts