Hacking Channel loaders for each game on USB disk?

snikerz

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
So, with "wbfs mkhbc" it's possible to create a single .dol launcher for each game stored on the USB drive. I'm quite sure it's possible to rip the banners that appear in the disc channel when inserting the original game can be extracted from the game discs. Now we just have to inject the fitting .dol into each wad. I guess this would be the perfect GUI for the USB loader
smileipb2.png

So my question is: Has anyone managed to create an empty wad with just the banner of a game? Mind sharing a small tutorial?

Dodi

Trophies
XP
Country
Would be cool, but you would need to make the loader for each channel.
Also get it to run the Game straight away.
No idea if its possible. (hope it is!)

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
Yesterday thought the same thing...

1. Usb loader can be hacked gecko os style hence selecting a certain game and automatically booting it...
2. or we can ask waninkoko to create something along the lines of dol forwarder... getting the game to launch from somewhere...
3. use the kwiirk's loader

ringorinfret

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why isnt it possible to create something similar to the regular disc channel? meaning it would extract the banner from the ISO (I'm talking about regular gamma or could be applied to USB) and would just output it like the disc channel do? That would be interesting for me cause I dont want to mess with apploader or anything that messes too much with the wii...a cios + loader is perfectly fine for me

thanks for listening

timtlm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What we need is a USB icon that would go next to the SD icon on 4.0U, and it would take you to another channel page with all the games loaded on your USB device.
yay.gif

I know, I'm asking way too much LOL...

Dodi

Trophies
XP
Country
MadBob said:
Bad idea, you have 40 games on the hard drive you need 40 channels ... madness.

Yeh but it will be faster than loading the USB Launcher everytime.
smile.gif

Also if you have the v4.0 update, you wont need the space on the menu for VC games,
as you can run them from the SD card instead.

GREAT idea.
Hopefully somebody does it
biggrin.gif

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ugh i knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww me too. maybe with what the source being releaed yesterday someone can look it over and code a 3d wii frontend that runs off png's.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
all i would like is something similar to the homebrew channel. somthing that allows you to still have the list, but also a small icon beside it that loads from the SD card. much simpler to code in that the one the hospitals have.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the file format and the method of loading a image is public knowledge the actual launching of an individual game is trivial. The channels (at least if you want them loaded on the fly, which is the way to go) wouldn't be.

You would have to make a custom app that scans all the images on your drive and copies the icon.bin in memory, extracts it, and displays the icon animation. You would want this done inside the app and NOT on individual channels as that would require a wad install for each game. The problem is the brlyt/brlan format isn't completely known yet so it might be hard to parse the animation files and actually render the icon. Assuming you could do that though then it would be easy as all you would have to do is have the app and NOT some silly loader stub, do the launching. The app itself could be put in a wad though so you'd have easy access to the menu.

So yeah... making a image specific loader is easy... doing what you are wanting to do is hard... doing it how I suggested far less hard but still hard.

Now a simple png image based menu.... REAL easy.... there are already ones out there actually, we'd just need a little stub to launch specific images and put the stub in each "channel". Finding one that'll work on/with a usb drive would be even better... we could dual partition the usb drive saving a small partition for the loader apps images and exes and a large partition formatted in the usb loader format for the actual game rips. Then these pc-side disc manager tools could be modified to rip a tpl from the icon.bin and throw it in the menu partition when you are ripping the iso.

feidhlim1986

Trophies
XP
Country
timtlm said:
What we need is a USB icon that would go next to the SD icon on 4.0U, and it would take you to another channel page with all the games loaded on your USB device.
yay.gif

That Would be awesome!

Sachka

Trophies
XP
Country
France
feidhlim1986 said:
timtlm said:
yay.gif

That Would be awesome!

Indeed! It could even be a modded version of the SD menu ifself (USB LOADER > 4.0 SD LOADER)
rolleyes.gif

oneleggedjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm down with a GUI, but an animated banner.... not so much
the hospital one would be dope, but i would be just as happy with a 2D gui that displays

the cover
the name of the game
the release date
the file size

maybe one day
unsure.gif

timbellomo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that wbfs's makehbc function would generate the dols needed. I haven't tried it, but that's what I got out of the readme. I'll give it a shot tonight.

tim

Joesalad21

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
timbellomo said:
I was under the impression that wbfs's makehbc function would generate the dols needed. I haven't tried it, but that's what I got out of the readme. I'll give it a shot tonight.

tim

Yeah I thought so too, but then I tried it and it only generated a couple of meta.xml files inside a couple folders...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock