Channel loaders for each game on USB disk?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by snikerz, Apr 1, 2009.

Apr 1, 2009
  1. snikerz
    OP

Member snikerz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Liechtenstein
    So, with "wbfs mkhbc" it's possible to create a single .dol launcher for each game stored on the USB drive. I'm quite sure it's possible to rip the banners that appear in the disc channel when inserting the original game can be extracted from the game discs. Now we just have to inject the fitting .dol into each wad. I guess this would be the perfect GUI for the USB loader [​IMG]

So my question is: Has anyone managed to create an empty wad with just the banner of a game? Mind sharing a small tutorial?

2. Dodi

Member Dodi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Would be cool, but you would need to make the loader for each channel.
    Also get it to run the Game straight away.
    No idea if its possible. (hope it is!)

3. gitkua

Member gitkua GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    But you'd still have to install the wad onto the Wii, doing it manually for every game you have would be a hassle..

4. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's not a bad idea though, really. Just need the right tools for the job.

5. MadBob

Member MadBob Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

United Kingdom
    Bad idea, you have 40 games on the hard drive you need 40 channels ... madness.

6. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Yesterday thought the same thing...

1. Usb loader can be hacked gecko os style hence selecting a certain game and automatically booting it...
    2. or we can ask waninkoko to create something along the lines of dol forwarder... getting the game to launch from somewhere...
    3. use the kwiirk's loader

7. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I think its a great idea myself.

8. ringorinfret

Member ringorinfret GBAtemp Fan

United States
    why isnt it possible to create something similar to the regular disc channel? meaning it would extract the banner from the ISO (I'm talking about regular gamma or could be applied to USB) and would just output it like the disc channel do? That would be interesting for me cause I dont want to mess with apploader or anything that messes too much with the wii...a cios + loader is perfectly fine for me

thanks for listening

9. timtlm

Newcomer timtlm Advanced Member

United States
    What we need is a USB icon that would go next to the SD icon on 4.0U, and it would take you to another channel page with all the games loaded on your USB device. [​IMG]

I know, I'm asking way too much LOL...

10. Dodi

Member Dodi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Yeh but it will be faster than loading the USB Launcher everytime. [​IMG]
    Also if you have the v4.0 update, you wont need the space on the menu for VC games,
    as you can run them from the SD card instead.

GREAT idea.
    Hopefully somebody does it [​IMG]

11. Screemer

Member Screemer GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    i wanna see a menu for the loader which looks like this:

12. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    ugh i knowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww me too. maybe with what the source being releaed yesterday someone can look it over and code a 3d wii frontend that runs off png's.

13. delta123

Member delta123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    all i would like is something similar to the homebrew channel. somthing that allows you to still have the list, but also a small icon beside it that loads from the SD card. much simpler to code in that the one the hospitals have.

14. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Assuming the file format and the method of loading a image is public knowledge the actual launching of an individual game is trivial. The channels (at least if you want them loaded on the fly, which is the way to go) wouldn't be.

You would have to make a custom app that scans all the images on your drive and copies the icon.bin in memory, extracts it, and displays the icon animation. You would want this done inside the app and NOT on individual channels as that would require a wad install for each game. The problem is the brlyt/brlan format isn't completely known yet so it might be hard to parse the animation files and actually render the icon. Assuming you could do that though then it would be easy as all you would have to do is have the app and NOT some silly loader stub, do the launching. The app itself could be put in a wad though so you'd have easy access to the menu.

So yeah... making a image specific loader is easy... doing what you are wanting to do is hard... doing it how I suggested far less hard but still hard.

Now a simple png image based menu.... REAL easy.... there are already ones out there actually, we'd just need a little stub to launch specific images and put the stub in each "channel". Finding one that'll work on/with a usb drive would be even better... we could dual partition the usb drive saving a small partition for the loader apps images and exes and a large partition formatted in the usb loader format for the actual game rips. Then these pc-side disc manager tools could be modified to rip a tpl from the icon.bin and throw it in the menu partition when you are ripping the iso.

15. feidhlim1986

Member feidhlim1986 GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    That Would be awesome!

16. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    no way imagine all the channels! just use the loader menu

17. Sachka

Member Sachka GBAtemp Regular

France
    Indeed! It could even be a modded version of the SD menu ifself (USB LOADER > 4.0 SD LOADER) [​IMG]

18. oneleggedjack

Member oneleggedjack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i'm down with a GUI, but an animated banner.... not so much
    the hospital one would be dope, but i would be just as happy with a 2D gui that displays

the cover
    the name of the game
    the release date
    the file size

maybe one day [​IMG]

19. timbellomo

Newcomer timbellomo Newbie

United States
    I was under the impression that wbfs's makehbc function would generate the dols needed. I haven't tried it, but that's what I got out of the readme. I'll give it a shot tonight.

tim

20. Joesalad21

Newcomer Joesalad21 Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah I thought so too, but then I tried it and it only generated a couple of meta.xml files inside a couple folders...