Changing Vita Brightness to 0 - Bricked when screen off?

Codiak101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, I have a question on changing the Vita brightness registry setting to 0 (working on an app that allows it to be changed). I read that it turns the screen off, does this mean it becomes unusable and therefore brick the Vita? Just wondering if I should prevent my app setting this.

One use of this could be when playing the Vita in dock mode. I know the plugin has an option where it turns off the screen but it turns on again when starting some games, at least for me.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't say for sure, but the registry of the vita is called the system.dreg. it's in the vd0/registry location iirc. it comes with an ireg that allows you to decompile it. it will be recreated if you do a system restore, so chances are that you can recover with the recovery menu.

Reactions: Anderxale

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chances are probably likely that screen brightness is ignored in the recovery menu. I know that the recovery menu kinda has its own environment on the ps3, vita, and ps4 (probably ps5 as well), so if you were to say change the font on one of those systems, it wouldn't carry over to the recovery menu.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found the byte that seems to control brightness after decompiling the system.dreg:

1635559334176.png

you can decompile it with this:

you need both the dreg and ireg, though it may be easier with the registry editor on the system.

Attachments

• fixreg_vita.zip
    9.6 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: Tarmfot

Codiak101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the help, useful program to know about. I was testing this with an FTP connection open ready to restore the registry file if needed, but found that changing the brightness registry doesn't actually take affect unless you change it on the brightness slider. So when I change the registry from low to high and look at the slider it's moved to max but the screen brightness hasn't actually changed, only when I move the slider.

There must be some sort of refresh I can do to apply the new brightness, refreshing live area and suspending/resuming doesn't work - is there a function call I need to add? I tried with Registry Editor too but same issue.

Reactions: godreborn

Codiak101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey so I've managed to test this properly by opening the brightness in the settings (not the quick menu) which triggers whatever registry setting you have without touching the slider. So when brightness is set to 0 is does indeed turn off the screen but you can still use the touch screen and buttons, I was able to see what I was doing because it was docked and the TV was unaffected. The only way to get the Vita screen back was to increase the brightness slider, luckily I had the FTP connection to restore system.dreg but thankfully didn't need it.

I'm still not sure if there's a better way to apply the registry changes on these settings (so not go into their official settings or restart the device). Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by fixing the hashes? Thanks

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily