changing the internal hard disk

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Magus, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    hello! i've bought a ps3 recently and it's internal hard disk is only 60gb,i tought that would be decent enough but i've soon realized that it's quite small and was thinking of upgrading to a bigger hard disk,as such i was wondering if doing so screws up in any way with rogero's and similiar stuff

or alternatively i guess i could get an external HDD and run the games from the external one? would i need to power up the external HDD separately or would it be powered by the ps3 itself?

2. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    There's no issues with after market internal hdds and cfw, if that's the question.

3. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
  4. mschumacher69

mschumacher69 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Planet Earth
    You shouldn't have any issues swapping your HDD if you're on Rebug or the latest Rogero CFWs. Only the early Rogero CFWs had issues re-installing when swapping the HDD.

5. Coto

Coto GBAtemp Addict

Jun 4, 2010
    Chile
    beware of some hdd's with onboard crappy utilities (on firmware) like autosleep, idling and such. There are ways to turn those off, though.

Kouen Hasuki likes this.
  6. Kouen Hasuki

Kouen Hasuki Kouen the Cyber Husky

Jan 9, 2013
    Norway
    Gaming Bunker
    Deffo this, especially if its a WD Green Drive the head park timer is like default of 7 seconds

7. Magus
    OP

Magus GBATEMP RPG MANIAC

Oct 26, 2002
    yeah this is what i was mostly worrying about... what about mounting an external HDD and running game from that? i just want more space to hold my games so it's not like i really need to swap the internal hard disk

8. mschumacher69

mschumacher69 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2013
    Planet Earth
    It works, but tbh, I like running my backups from internal because an external would take extra (physical) space, 1 of your USB ports (so you are left with one only) and you have to split files >4GB because of the FAT32 file size limitation.