Hacking changing savefilename M3 Lite

GameFreak_020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed when I change the filename of a GBA rom and change the savefilename .dat the same, the M3 doesn't recognize the savefile anymore and all is gone
hate2.gif
Is there a way to change the name without losing the savedata?
The content of the save file gets resetted. The save file works, but every progress which is saved in the game is gone. As if it's using a new save file. So how can I change the savefilename without losing the content? If I change it back everything is back again?!? but I really want to change the name.

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you open your saves in notepad you'll see the original rom file name (it's either at the very top or bottom: can't remember). You probably just have to rename the file name in a hex editor. Only suggesting the hex editor because you don't want to change the size of the save file. I have a few other ways that you could go about changing the name but they're a bit involved.

A nice freeware hex editor is available at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm

If you have any troubles let me know.

GameFreak_020

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WigWrm said:
If you open your saves in notepad you'll see the original rom file name (it's either at the very top or bottom: can't remember). You probably just have to rename the file name in a hex editor. Only suggesting the hex editor because you don't want to change the size of the save file. I have a few other ways that you could go about changing the name but they're a bit involved.

A nice freeware hex editor is available at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/free...xvi32/xvi32.htm

If you have any troubles let me know.

I tried changing the name but it doesn't work everything is gone again. The hex editor and notepad also show boot DONKEY~4GBA for example with Donkey Kong Country. do I have to do anything with that?

WigWrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try out my previous suggestion on one of my saves and will let you know the results. And to answer your question, yes, you have to overwrite that 'DONKEY~4GBA' in a hex editor to the new name of your rom. If your rom has a long file name check out what it has been abbreviated to using the dir command in a command prompt window.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh