ROM Hack Changing Friend codes

C4isBad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i'm not too familiar with the way friend codes work, I know they're assigned based on your DS but beyond that i don't really have any idea.

So my question is this: is it possible to change your friends code in a game? is it a value that is stored in memory? or is it calculated each and every time it is "requested"? What determines your friend code? is it an algorithm based on your DS? is it assigned by a server when you first request it?

Questions, questions! Any input would be appreciated.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It's calculated each time the DS need to generate the friend code, generally only once per game if you don't delete the saves.
But if you delete the save, you will have another friend code.

It's calculated by mixing the game code and the DS code. As the game says, this code is assigned to your DS only with this cartridge, you can't use it on another DS or with the same DS but another cartridge with the same friend code.
But I never tested to use it on another one.

edit :
is it assigned by a server when you first request it?

The console code (you can see that code in the Wifi setting, where there is the MAC address) is generated once with the connexion at nintendo server. This is this code which is mixed with the game code to generate the per games friend code.

C4isBad

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not quite sure, is the friend code saved to memory after it is generated? What i'm asking is, would it be possible to forcibly change your friend code after it has been created?

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still not quite sure, is the friend code saved to memory after it is generated? What i'm asking is, would it be possible to forcibly change your friend code after it has been created?

no one has been able to figure that out yet, you would probably need to hack your save file and find it somehow.

Tri-Z

Tri z
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try and put the game into a nother ds and start the wifi on the game, and then coose to have a different friend code, and then start the game back up in the original ds and it will ask you if you want to keep the friend code or not from the other ds. I think that might get you a new friend code, but 2 ds's are needed.

I know when people got dslite that had dsphats originally. you could transfer your wifi settings to dslite.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Has he had seizures before?