Hacking Change from PriiLoader to BootMii.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First the backstory (you can skip this first paragraph if you want).
I have a homebrew enabled Wii running 4.1E, with various CIOSs etc, and PriiLoader v0.29. I bought Metroid Other M (I have my Wii set up to skip disc updates) but the game won't run. I guess this is because of my system menu version, because when I ripped the game to my WBFS HD and played it using WiiFlow, it ran fine. But I'd like to play it off the disc. So I intend to safely update to 4.3 (I have some questions about that too, but they can wait). But before doing that, I'd like to create a NAND backup.

Now onto the main problem. To backup my NAND I need to install BootMii. After reading a little into that, I saw that you can install it as an IOS or as boot2.
This is where I get in over my head.
unsure.gif

What is the difference between installing it as an iOS and installing it as boot2?
What exactly is boot2?
What do I need to do with PriiLoader (Uninstall it? Let BootMii install over it? Have both BootMii and PriiLoader?)?

Right now I'm running a 4.1E Wii with Priiloader v0.29.
When I load up the PriiLoader menu, it says "IOS v60" and "Systemmenu v450" (I'm not sure if that info matters or not).
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Keep priiloader installed and block disc and online updates with it. Install bootmii as ios and if possible boot2.

You should update to priiloader v0.4
Boot2 bootmii is the ultimate wii recovery option, before you install it you should update your boot2 to v4 if you have to older v2. You probably have boot2 v4, but if you had v2, a wii system update would remove your bootmii, which you don't want.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
Keep priiloader installed and block disc and online updates with it. Install bootmii as ios and if possible boot2.

You should update to priiloader v0.4
Boot2 bootmii is the ultimate wii recovery option, before you install it you should update your boot2 to v4 if you have to older v2. You probably have boot2 v4, but if you had v2, a wii system update would remove your bootmii, which you don't want.
Thanks for your quick response. I already have PriiLoader set to block online and disc updates. So now I think I know what boot2 is.
The thing is, how do I find out what version of boot2 I have? And how do I update it to v4 (if it's on v2)?
And also (sorry for all the questions) do you know where PriiLoader is installed? Is it before the system menu and after boot2? Or is it in boot2?
Thanks.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Priiloader is installed in the system menu. It moves the system menu app and places itself in its place. So when the wii loads the system menu, priiloader is loaded and priiloader then loads the system menu. It runs on the system ios. Corruption on the system ios will kill priiloader, re-installation/uninstallation of the system menu will remove priiloader, system updates will remove priiloader as well.

The boots something like this, boot1 ->boot2 ->system ios ->system menu (priiloader)
Having bootmii installed as boot2 puts it before the system menu, allowing you to recover from almost any brick.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
Priiloader is installed in the system menu. It moves the system menu app and places itself in its place. So when the wii loads the system menu, priiloader is loaded and priiloader then loads the system menu. It runs on the system ios. Corruption on the system ios will kill priiloader, re-installation/uninstallation of the system menu will remove priiloader, system updates will remove priiloader as well.

The boots something like this, boot1 ->boot2 ->system ios ->system menu (priiloader)
Having bootmii installed as boot2 puts it before the system menu, allowing you to recover from almost any brick.
Ok, thanks! That's cleared everything up.
So how do I update boot2? Is the only way to update boot2 a controlled system update? Because I'd like to back up my NAND before the system update.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
You can use dop-mii to view your boot2 version and update it if needed.
Ok, thanks. I'll do it all tomorrow when I get back from work (bed time now). Thanks sooo much for all your help!
bow.gif

Thanks for answering all my irritating questions, and for responding so quickly!
yaywii.gif

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
You can use dop-mii to view your boot2 version and update it if needed.

Freudian Lemur's brother here. How do we get dop-mii to tell us our boot2 version? We're using v14.5.

Never mind, worked that bit out.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right, new problem now. I updated from 4.1 to 4.2. That was fine. But now when I try to update from 4.2 to 4.3 using Waninkoko's 4.3b updater, I get error = -1 when downloading the "EULA (EUR)". So it just restarts the Wii without installing anything. I tried a few times and it behaved exactly the same each time (so it's not just a connection problem). I did a bit of searching, but found no answers.

Freudian Lemur

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
qwertymodo said:
No need to update your SM. Just use DOP-Mii to install the latest IOS56 and you're golden.
Already on that, still want's to update. I managed to update to 4.3 (I just hadn't cleared enough space for the download, I'm stupid). Now I just need to install PriiLoader to block disk updates.
Now another problem! Yay!
I'm trying to install PriiLoader, but it says my cIOS (249) doesn't have ES_DIVerify (didn't get this error when installing PriiLoader on 4.1). I've tried removing 249 with AnyTitleDeleter and reinstalling it, but I still get the same error.

kylster

mich weich töten
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEVER USE WANINKOKO SAFE UPDATER! you can simply use dop-mii to install a non patched System Menu and it will even prompt you to download the correct ios needed to run if you dont have it installed; installing a new System Menu with dop-mii does not require you to redo any softmods. I don't see any point in using his safe updaters when it's safer to use dop-mii; on the other hand his cIOS249+250 are great
smile.gif

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Freudian Lemur said:
qwertymodo said:
No need to update your SM. Just use DOP-Mii to install the latest IOS56 and you're golden.
Already on that, still want's to update. I managed to update to 4.3 (I just hadn't cleared enough space for the download, I'm stupid). Now I just need to install PriiLoader to block disk updates.
I'm trying to install PriiLoader, but it says my cIOS (249) doesn't have ES_DIVerify (didn't get this error when installing PriiLoader on 4.1). I've tried removing 249 with AnyTitleDeleter and reinstalling it, but I still get the same error.

That's because when you updated to 4.2 it removed Priiloader, removing the disc update block. All you ever needed to do in the first place was install IOS56, now you're just playing catch-up to fix all the stuff you messed up by updating *shrugs*

eyeball226

Trophies
XP
Country
qwertymodo said:
Freudian Lemur said:
qwertymodo said:

That's because when you updated to 4.2 it removed Priiloader, removing the disc update block. All you ever needed to do in the first place was install IOS56, now you're just playing catch-up to fix all the stuff you messed up by updating *shrugs*

The reason he said that is because he thought you were saying updating IOS56 would stop it trying to update. And even when we had the latest IOS56 and updates blocked, Other M still refused to run from the disc channel though a USB backup loaded through Wiiflow. The fact that the backup ran means that it couldn't have been a missing IOS issue, right?

QUOTE(kylster @ Dec 8 2010, 02:28 AM)
NEVER USE WANINKOKO SAFE UPDATER! you can simply use dop-mii to install a non patched System Menu and it will even prompt you to download the correct ios needed to run if you dont have it installed; installing a new System Menu with dop-mii does not require you to redo any softmods. I don't see any point in using his safe updaters when it's safer to use dop-mii; on the other hand his cIOS249+250 are great
smile.gif

But doesn't SM 4.3 actively delete the HBC every time it boots? I don't see how dop-mii is going to help there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released