Chances of getting Wii by Dec or Jan w/o preorder?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by gust0208, Nov 6, 2006.

1. gust0208
    OP

Newcomer gust0208 Member

Hey everyone,

I have been patiently watching the news of the Wii over the last few months, feeling pretty sure it was going to be my next-gen system purchase, but had no plans with being an early adopter out of the gates. That was until the most recent coverage (specifically all of the great videos here on GBAtemp with the hands-on experience) and I am now finding myself wanting one earlier.

My question is, what is the chance of getting a Wii by December or January given that I do not have a pre-order?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
    Tom

2. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Very high, walk into a store and buy one. Especially in January there shouldn't be a problem.

Here in Australia I don't expect them to sell out. Remember that Nintendo has a lot more stock at launch than Sony does with the Playstation 3.

3. Ragone

Newcomer Ragone Advanced Member

United States
    Im planning on camping out for one, but in most cases you should be able to walk into a store like 3 hours before they open on launch day if you want one really badly.

4. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia

yeah i believe so too.

I'm also wondering whether you or any of the other aussies out there are annoyed buy the wii pricing (or consoles in aus in general)

In comparison to america (after conversions)

wii - $75 AU more
    wiimote + nunchuck - $22 AU more
    games - $35!! more!! (zelda tp's price that is)

I'm poor and angry!
    (but still a fan)

5. Madrigal

Member Madrigal GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    There will be tons of them a week or so after launch. You should have no trouble at all finding one. You may even be able to track one down on launch day if you luck out. This is not the Xbox360 or PS3 launch, Nintendo will have lot's of Wii's for us [​IMG]

6. Vater Unser

Member Vater Unser GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    just go to a store that didn't take pre-orders, and your chances are pretty high to get one...if you want to be 100% sure, be there before they open (like Ragone said)

7. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    Yeah I'm not too happy about the price. $349 or $299 for the console would have been more mass market. But I'll still fork out the money for it because it's so good [​IMG]

8. Saturnplanet5

Member Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I don't think you'll have much problem getting one later. I imagine they will have anticipated high sales and send as many as will be needed and a few more. I'm going to go to the midnight launch at my local EB to pick up my preorder though.

9. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    no way dewd

10. gust0208
    OP

Newcomer gust0208 Member

Thanks for the input everyone and I am glad to hear that it sounds as if there is enough Wii to go around! The next decision is which launch titles... :^)

Cheers,
    Tom

11. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    Nintendo never seem to run out of stock. Everyone who wants a wii should be able to get one. Just a reminder though the wii is not a next gen console, nintendo have even said this.

12. KKajun

Newcomer KKajun Advanced Member

Canada
    Of course it's Nintendo "next-gen" console, it's just not upto par with the competitor's graphic-wise. If it's not "next-gen" than what is it? current-gen? how about the gamecube?

13. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Nintendo claims that it will ship approximately 6 million Wii units by this year

if you live in euro your more chance just pop in a game shop a buy one..

14. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    There going a be midnight Launch of wii in uk...(HMV, Virgin, Game, etc)
    if you plan to camping out in central london you end up in tv [​IMG]

15. TheVirus

Member TheVirus GBAtemp Fan

Uganda
    I was worried about not getting one on launch day (USA) but you have squashed my worries. I was going to pre-order a bundle but I'd rather get it in store so I get games I actually want.

16. ugly_rose

Member ugly_rose GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Anyway, it'll most likely not be shortages on the console, no. Perhaps on the games though, mostly thinking about Zelda?

17. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    i'm pretty sure production for zelda is exteme! i saw soem pics the other day of a warehouse with tons of zelda copies.

18. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    They call it new-gen. [​IMG] Of course it's a next gen console, just with a non-traditional way.
    I seem to remember something about 2 million consoles at launch? That wouldn't be too much... However, if the 6 million until the year ends figure is right, that should be plenty, even with all the crazy hype and the relatively low price. But beware, interest in the Wii seems to be much bigger than I expected. Lots of my friends already know quite a bit about it. (Without me telling them, too! [​IMG] )

19. ridgecity

Member ridgecity GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mexico
    It really depends where you live and how big the shipment the store is getting. I preordered the system and the sotre is getting 27 consoles and the next shipment will be on the 30. another one the december 15 and another the december 23. This is a gaming store and they are probably making bundles for their retail space. remember this is christmas that the Wii is getting so much hype as the must-have of the season. Everything goes back to normal on January but right now, you try early 19 and you have the most chance to get one in the whole season...

they said 5 million consoles for their fiscal year ending in march 2007 not year's end...

20. TheStump

Member TheStump Got Wood?

Australia
    totally off topic but OrR's sig smilie should be part of the standard GBAtemp ones, i think everyone remembers that DS

-----> [​IMG]