Gaming Chances of getting Wii by Dec or Jan w/o preorder?

gust0208

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey everyone,

I have been patiently watching the news of the Wii over the last few months, feeling pretty sure it was going to be my next-gen system purchase, but had no plans with being an early adopter out of the gates. That was until the most recent coverage (specifically all of the great videos here on GBAtemp with the hands-on experience) and I am now finding myself wanting one earlier.

My question is, what is the chance of getting a Wii by December or January given that I do not have a pre-order?

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Tom

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Very high, walk into a store and buy one. Especially in January there shouldn't be a problem.

Here in Australia I don't expect them to sell out. Remember that Nintendo has a lot more stock at launch than Sony does with the Playstation 3.

Ragone

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im planning on camping out for one, but in most cases you should be able to walk into a store like 3 hours before they open on launch day if you want one really badly.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Very high, walk into a store and buy one. Especially in January there shouldn't be a problem.

Here in Australia I don't expect them to sell out. Remember that Nintendo has a lot more stock at launch than Sony does with the Playstation 3.

yeah i believe so too.

I'm also wondering whether you or any of the other aussies out there are annoyed buy the wii pricing (or consoles in aus in general)

In comparison to america (after conversions)

wii - $75 AU more
wiimote + nunchuck - $22 AU more
games - $35!! more!! (zelda tp's price that is)

I'm poor and angry!
(but still a fan)

Madrigal

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There will be tons of them a week or so after launch. You should have no trouble at all finding one. You may even be able to track one down on launch day if you luck out. This is not the Xbox360 or PS3 launch, Nintendo will have lot's of Wii's for us
tongue.gif

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

yeah i believe so too.

I'm also wondering whether you or any of the other aussies out there are annoyed buy the wii pricing (or consoles in aus in general)

In comparison to america (after conversions)

wii - $75 AU more
wiimote + nunchuck - $22 AU more
games - $35!! more!! (zelda tp's price that is)

I'm poor and angry!
(but still a fan)

Yeah I'm not too happy about the price. $349 or $299 for the console would have been more mass market. But I'll still fork out the money for it because it's so good
shy.gif

D

Deleted User

I don't think you'll have much problem getting one later. I imagine they will have anticipated high sales and send as many as will be needed and a few more. I'm going to go to the midnight launch at my local EB to pick up my preorder though.

gust0208

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the input everyone and I am glad to hear that it sounds as if there is enough Wii to go around! The next decision is which launch titles... :^)

Cheers,
Tom

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nintendo never seem to run out of stock. Everyone who wants a wii should be able to get one. Just a reminder though the wii is not a next gen console, nintendo have even said this.

KKajun

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Of course it's Nintendo "next-gen" console, it's just not upto par with the competitor's graphic-wise. If it's not "next-gen" than what is it? current-gen? how about the gamecube?

TheVirus

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I was worried about not getting one on launch day (USA) but you have squashed my worries. I was going to pre-order a bundle but I'd rather get it in store so I get games I actually want.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Of course it's Nintendo "next-gen" console, it's just not upto par with the competitor's graphic-wise. If it's not "next-gen" than what is it? current-gen? how about the gamecube?
They call it new-gen.
icon2.gif
Of course it's a next gen console, just with a non-traditional way.
I seem to remember something about 2 million consoles at launch? That wouldn't be too much... However, if the 6 million until the year ends figure is right, that should be plenty, even with all the crazy hype and the relatively low price. But beware, interest in the Wii seems to be much bigger than I expected. Lots of my friends already know quite a bit about it. (Without me telling them, too!
wink.gif
)

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I was worried about not getting one on launch day (USA) but you have squashed my worries. I was going to pre-order a bundle but I'd rather get it in store so I get games I actually want.

It really depends where you live and how big the shipment the store is getting. I preordered the system and the sotre is getting 27 consoles and the next shipment will be on the 30. another one the december 15 and another the december 23. This is a gaming store and they are probably making bundles for their retail space. remember this is christmas that the Wii is getting so much hype as the must-have of the season. Everything goes back to normal on January but right now, you try early 19 and you have the most chance to get one in the whole season...

they said 5 million consoles for their fiscal year ending in march 2007 not year's end...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up