Hacking Chances of getting a 10.3 or lower N3DS in 2 months?

Chris_Highwind

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm not going to get the N3DS at a store as I'll be buying a 64 GB micro SD card to go with it, so I'll be buying them both on Amazon. Either way, your posts are relieving my worries and I look forward to March when I'll be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and a better-running Hyrule Warriors on N3DS CFW. Also, how would I be able to update to 10.3 without going any further?

Last edited by Chris_Highwind,

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
march isnt that far away, and there are no holidays between now and then whenever you go to the store just grab the one furthest in the back or with the lowest serial number and you'll probably be good.

Jarmenti

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You have to download the 10.3 update package and use the app "sysupdater" to install the update..You can probably downgrade from 9.9... but I did and was stuck with a partial downgrade. upgrading to 10.3 first seemed to make it go much smoother!

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to answer the question as asked - NO ONE KNOWS (outside of the possibility of if a dev is close enough to working out something for newer firmware that they can reasonably presume it'll be done within that timeframe).

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel your pain I'm trying to get that Pokémon edition n3ds and I have a bad feeling it may include atleast 10.4
If it does then you might be able to swap the motherboard out of it with a animal crossing happy home designer n3ds motherboard that is 10.3 or below.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is a post on here on which serial numbers have which software versions. If you go to a store to buy it physically you can check the serials on the physical box and crossmatch .. giving you a higher 80-90% chance of getting a version of 10.3 or lower to be able to downgrade to 9.2 :)

OP of the firmware by serial number post here. I actually got that locked since with so many 10.3< systems out it's rather redundant. We do have some of the newer systems listed but don't expect it to be updated :P. If it gets to the point where 10.3< systems are rare I'll start up a new one for them ^.^

ontopic: I would HIGHLY recommend you buy it from a store rather than via amazon. Most stores have an online price match and if you buy it in-store and DO get a 10.4/10.5 system then it's much simpler to return (although the chances of getting a 10.4/10.5 system are super low). Remember Nintendo has to distribute the firmware to their hardware manufacturer and they still have thousands and thousands of systems being shipped around the that have 10.3<

Last edited by marksteele,
Reactions: tivu100

ChaosRipple

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to download the 10.3 update package and use the app "sysupdater" to install the update..You can probably downgrade from 9.9... but I did and was stuck with a partial downgrade. upgrading to 10.3 first seemed to make it go much smoother!

I'm 99% sure being on 10.3 and 9.9 don't matter. SysUpdater does the exact same steps to downgrade regardless of version. I've downgraded my O3DS from 9.9 to 9.2 just fine and my N3DS from 10.3 to 9.2 just fine.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP of the firmware by serial number post here. I actually got that locked since with so many 10.3< systems out it's rather redundant. We do have some of the newer systems listed but don't expect it to be updated :P. If it gets to the point where 10.3< systems are rare I'll start up a new one for them ^.^

ontopic: I would HIGHLY recommend you buy it from a store rather than via amazon. Most stores have an online price match and if you buy it in-store and DO get a 10.4/10.5 system then it's much simpler to return (although the chances of getting a 10.4/10.5 system are super low). Remember Nintendo has to distribute the firmware to their hardware manufacturer and they still have thousands and thousands of systems being shipped around the that have 10.3<
Is it possible to track IPS screen N3DS through serial numbers? Would love a thread to get the IPS. The 2 N3DS Hyrule picked up at GameStop had TN screen then sold out quickly. I am thinking of trade 1 and hunt for IPS N3DSFire Emblem

I'm 99% sure being on 10.3 and 9.9 don't matter. SysUpdater does the exact same steps to downgrade regardless of version. I've downgraded my O3DS from 9.9 to 9.2 just fine and my N3DS from 10.3 to 9.2 just fine.
Actually those unofficial syupdater at first built for O3DS so seems like O3DS has less porblem. But on N3DS, <10.2 firm seems to cause all kind of trouble downgrading. No a statement of suggestion: major people reported going from 10.3 to 9.2 smoothly, while under < firm10.2 people often gets soft brick or incomplete downgrade.

Last edited by tivu100,

James310

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most New 3ds sold today are still under 9.9 and ones that are recently made at some factory today are shipped with 9.9 so the odds of finding 10.4 or up is very slim, as long it's isn't some kind of bundle that got released this year (2016)

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does then you might be able to swap the motherboard out of it with a animal crossing happy home designer n3ds motherboard that is 10.3 or below.
...Or just switch out the faceplates, lol. They're essentially the same, just different faceplates and come with Pokemon Red and Blue preinstalled.

Reactions: cvskid and tivu100

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hyrule Edition in NA was released on October 30th, around three and a half month after 9.9 release (July 13th), which is the system version installed on it.
Majora's Mask Edition (in Europe) was released on February 13th 2015 with 9.0, which was released 4 months before (October 14th 2014).
Hyrule Edition (in Europe) was announced for 24th March on 21st January (10.4 released on 18th January). Will this 2-months gap be short enough for it not to have 10.4+? I expect and hope so.

LSDLSDLSDLSD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm not going to get the N3DS at a store as I'll be buying a 64 GB micro SD card to go with it, so I'll be buying them both on Amazon. Either way, your posts are relieving my worries and I look forward to March when I'll be able to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D and a better-running Hyrule Warriors on N3DS CFW. Also, how would I be able to update to 10.3 without going any further?

FWIW, I ordered a N3DSXL Black from Amazon at the beginning of the month (1/7) and I'm pretty sure it came with 9.5. Whatever it was, I just upgraded it to 10.2? 10.3? and then downgraded. I did have a hell of a time with it compared to my o3DS though.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FWIW, I ordered a N3DSXL Black from Amazon at the beginning of the month (1/7) and I'm pretty sure it came with 9.5. Whatever it was, I just upgraded it to 10.2? 10.3? and then downgraded. I did have a hell of a time with it compared to my o3DS though.
Unless a better downgrade method available between now and then, that's what people have been doing lately which results in a more reliable downgrade method for N3DS.

The first downgrader for >9.2 is meant for O3DS. Then some improvement was added to support N3DS. However for some reason, downgrading N3DS <10.2 seems to still cause trouble (downgrading is interrupted midway, some brick here and there).

harii98

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably from 0% to about 10%. :/
Just get a 2DS. As long as it isn't the Yokai Watch or Pokemon R&B bundle it is guaranteed to be on 9.2 or less, so you don't even have to downgrade. I got the 2DS MK7 mundle for Thanksgiving and it came on 6.0.0. Now runs emuNAND 10.5 like a charm.
This whole post expresses plain stupidity.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Ohhh. NSFW!!!! https://youtu.be/q3C3ceUYXRY?feature=shared