CFW and Pokemon Bank: Update required but there isn't one

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Ar7ific1al, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Ar7ific1al GBAtemp Regular

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    I've tried Google and the search function on the forum already and have not come across any instance of this so I'm making a thread to ask.

I'm on O3DS, 9.2 SysNand, 11.0.0-33U EmuNand with rxtools (the old one from lavanoid).
    Of course, my questions pertain to the EmuNand of the above specification.

Everything else seems to work fine: I can go online in my games (digital and retail copies), I can use the browser and eShop*, I just did the Mystery Gift on my Pokemon games to get Shaymin.
    But I can't use Pokemon Bank. For some reason, whenever it tries to connect to the server, it tells me I need to update my system in order to use the service. But my EmuNand is updated - it's on 11.0.0-33U. Just for the hell of it, I tried "updating" and it told me there was an error and then my 3DS rebooted.

What gives? Anyone else experience this?

*EDIT: My eShop apparently does not work. It too tells me there is a system update (Which there is not) and to update in order to use it. :/

Last edited by Ar7ific1al, Jul 10, 2016
  2. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    IIRC it's a known issue. Update to a newer CFW that patches the issue, like Luma3DS.

GilgameshArcher and Ar7ific1al like this.
  3. SimplyFedorable

SimplyFedorable Evangelion Geek

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    try using this. Its a free homebrew alternative to pokebank and is much more powerful than the original pokebank. If you have any pokemans on your pokebank as of right now, I don't know the answer. Try switching to luma3ds which you can get here. Just copy all the files from the regular release, not the dev version or the source code to the root of your sd card, and get the file from the menuhax folder that comes with luma put that in the root of your sd card too. Rxtools is very outdated and that mayy be your issue

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

just install the cia for PHBank

4. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Where have you read such? I was unable to find anything about it. :/
    Thanks, though. I do have Luma3DS as well, but it won't boot; it was working fine last I tried it several weeks ago and nothing at all has changed. lol But someone on the Luma3DS thread (saw it while trying to find something else) said theirs wouldn't boot with a game in the slot so I'll try that. :P

Thanks, but no thanks; I already have it. I don't want to use it. I want to use the actual Pokemon Bank. :P I didn't ask for suggestions for replacements but thanks anyway.

5. CeeDee

CeeDee hm?~

May 4, 2014
    United States
    somewhere
    How are you launching it? It works fine for me with a DS flashcart in.
    The same error happened to an older build of Luma3DS, which would make sense - rxtools hasn't been updated in a while so that couldn't have been fixed.

6. SimplyFedorable

SimplyFedorable Evangelion Geek

Apr 7, 2016
    United States
    melee hell
    PHBank is a lot safer than pokebank, as it dons't interfere with cfw. As a general rule, if you are on cfw, its generally better to use usermade tools, as they tend to be safer and have safe guards against anything bad happening

7. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Launching Luma3DS the same way I launch RxTools: using ctrbootmanager. I've added an entry to point to sd:/luma/menuhax/boot.3dsx. Like I said, it worked a few weeks ago and nothing has changed.
    Only difference between rxtools launch and luma launch is my rxtools entry points to sd:/rxtools/sys/code.bin instead of a 3dsx.

Again, thanks but no thanks; I do not wish to use this. I am not asking for suggestions or replacements for Pokemon Bank, I am asking for assistance in getting Pokemon Bank working.

8. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Pokemon bank is better to you because it can be used as a personal hack checker.

9. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Got Luma3DS to boot; had to remove the config.bin, I guess something was wrong with it.
    But no beans. Still, Pokemon Bank tells me I need to update my system to use the service.
    I'm using the latest Luma3DS (non-dev build), 5.5, released on May 27. That was the latest version when I first acquired Luma3DS, as well.

10. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Apparently my eshop does not actually work; it tells me to update my system, as well.

11. EmuAGR

EmuAGR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    Update Luma to nightly using StarUpdater. The latest Luma build is obsolete. I don't understand why Aurora hasn't updated the "known to be buggy" stable release yet. :mellow:

Ar7ific1al likes this.
  12. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Thanks, I'll try that. :)

Doesn't seem to do anything. I'm not using A9LH to launch Luma3DS; I have an autoboot menuhax and CtrBootManager.
    CtrBootManager is set to point to SD:/luma/menuhax/boot.3dsx for Luma3DS.
    If I open StarUpdater (installed via CIA), change mode to menuhax, and tell it update unstable, it says...
    File downloaded!
    Backing up payload
    Moving to payload location...
    Done!

Reboot and still no eShop or Pokemon Bank.
    Where does it download the file, do you know? I don't know if I'm using a non-default path for Luma's boot file. Luma's install instructions just say to put the files for your entrypoint on the SD card, then put the correct folder (menuhax in my case) in SD:/luma/. Maybe there's something I've done wrong? I'm not dense, I can read, and I've done what is instructed, but I guess I could still have done something wrong.
    So where does it download the updated file(s) and where should I be putting them if I need to move them? :/

EDIT: Found something else somewhere and I've changed my ctrbootmanager to boot from Luma3DS.dat instead (and manually downloaded the latest nightly). Still not able to use Pokemon Bank...

13. EmuAGR

EmuAGR GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    Download the latest build from here and replace the files you need:
    https://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/

I don't know if StarUpdater updates menuhax version, I think you have to configure it. Anyway, you can do that manually with the website above.

Last edited by EmuAGR, Jul 10, 2016
  14. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
  15. jagerstaffel

jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2008
    United States
    Hm, it shouldn't be your browser that's the problem, right? Seeing as how your emunand is up to date, unless you recently did change your browser, but if the eshop doesn't work as well, I think something in the firmware is out of date.

Ar7ific1al likes this.
  16. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    You just gave me an idea: I was screwing around with twlfirm trying to get my old ass R4 to work. I came to the conclusion that it's impossible for my original R4 to work with twlfirm patches.
    I'll try and reinstall a normal twlfirm if I can. Thanks for the idea!

Reinstalling legit AGB_FIRM and TWL_FIRM didn't solve anything...
    I made a NAND backup on June 6 (haven't done anything to EmuNAND since then besides TWL_FIRM crap) so I'll try injecting that. :)

@jagerstaffel YAAAAASS Thank you so much for jogging my memory! I love emunandtool. xD I make an emunand backup anytime I screw with it like messing with twl_firm and agb_firm. :) Thanks again. <3

jagerstaffel likes this.
  17. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    are nintedo trying to stop cfw users from going online

18. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    @jagerstaffel YAAAAASS Thank you so much for jogging my memory! I love emunandtool. xD I make an emunand backup anytime I screw with it like messing with twl_firm and agb_firm. :) Thanks again. <3

jagerstaffel likes this.
  19. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    No

20. Ar7ific1al
    OP

Jul 12, 2009
    United States
    Nawww, I don't think they can. They can't tell, to my knowledge.
    If you read through, you'll see my problem stemmed from parts of my firmware missing completely. :P