• Replies 28
  • Likes 1

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings on Xbox 360 is a day 1 purchase for me.
Never played the series and the trailer sold me right away.
I am not big on PC gaming but after reading this statement all I can say is congrats to this studio.
Oh man, Witcher 2 was absolutely stunning on PC, great engine and very deep gameplay and the story was also top-notch. Sex is really part of the story too.
Amazing game, right up there with Skyrim IMHO and a lot better in some aspects.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While drm doesn't stop piracy it could still have a use. First of all, online play stops or hinders pirates there and second, it prevents people from just installing the game and giving the game disc to a friend to also install the game on his pc. Although I doubt that the second part is really important and the first part just relies on registering a cd key in a database.

I had a DRM-related problem with Splinter Cell Conviction after I had to reinstall Windows 7. As a result, the game was deleted but the installation files were still on my HDD. I thought the serial number I got six months months ago was still valid, and erroneously assumed I could get a new one from Ubisoft. No such luck, and with them being the douchebags that they are, wanted me to spend $30 for a new one. So what did I do? I said "screw you Ubisoft" and cracked the .exe so I could bypass the online verification DRM. Worked like a charm, now I can play the game that I legally purchased without worrying about their totalitarian methods. I paid for the game, I have every right to circumvent restrictive DRM, regardless of what those DMCA douchebags say. Why should I have to pay Ubisoft AGAIN? I'll never forgive that company for using Starforce DRM (which doesn't work on anything past Windows XP) on Chaos Theory, but I eventually found a crack for that game, too. Hackers: 1 DRM Worshipers: 0

Reactions: 1 person

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
While drm doesn't stop piracy it could still have a use. First of all, online play stops or hinders pirates there and second, it prevents people from just installing the game and giving the game disc to a friend to also install the game on his pc. Although I doubt that the second part is really important and the first part just relies on registering a cd key in a database.

I had a DRM-related problem with Splinter Cell Conviction after I had to reinstall Windows 7. As a result, the game was deleted but the installation files were still on my HDD. I thought the serial number I got six months months ago was still valid, and erroneously assumed I could get a new one from Ubisoft. No such luck, and with them being the douchebags that they are, wanted me to spend $30 for a new one. So what did I do? I said "screw you Ubisoft" and cracked the .exe so I could bypass the online verification DRM. Worked like a charm, now I can play the game that I legally purchased without worrying about their totalitarian methods. I paid for the game, I have every right to circumvent restrictive DRM, regardless of what those DMCA douchebags say. Why should I have to pay Ubisoft AGAIN? I'll never forgive that company for using Starforce DRM (which doesn't work on anything past Windows XP) on Chaos Theory, but I eventually found a crack for that game, too. Hackers: 1 DRM Worshipers: 0
Not saying it should be there, not saying it always works perfectly, not saying that ubisoft is not pure evil.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, the big companies are also restrained by their share holders. Most of them know nothing about games or PCs and are only there for the money. They are one of the main causes of why the industry is stagnant an is going in the wrong way (closed systems, anti reselling systems). If you tell them (and the distribution company bosses anyway) that you want to remove the DRM, they are just going to say f*ck you. And since they are the ones who have the money, they get to make the decisions. CD Projekt was able to remove the DRM from their game mostly because their distributors were Atari and Namco, who aren't that big compared to the three kings Activision, EA and Ubi.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Two possible reasons for this are 1: this is the last title they'll ever produce or 2: they already know people will pirate their stuff with or without DRM.
Option no.2 is correct.

CD Projekt deals with more then just video game development, I assure you that they are not in financial trouble. In fact, Wiedźmin (Witcher) series were so well-recieved that they exceeded their expectations. They'd be fools not to carry on making them, especially since Sapkowski's novels are a massive source of possible plots - the universe he created is really vast.

DAud_IcI

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
"The easiest way to stop piracy is not by putting antipiracy technology to work. It’s by giving those people a service that’s better than what they’re receiving from the pirates."
/Gabe Newell/

If you want to protect your software just create an on-line service that is worth to use. Multiplayer is a good example, but there are other ways too, even for singleplayer. Achievements for example. (There are people, who buy/rent games just for them.) Now you just have to give each product a serial and you are fine, block the serial if used on multiple locations at once. The simplest method used in the industry well over a decade now (StarCraft is a good example, I don't know anyone, who only pirated it.) and yet it's really the only one that you can even remotely call working.

Everything else is just smoke and mirrors to trick the devs into paying for this garbage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/2byHyqiZVS8?si=Qr7te3eS9u0xQYDh