GOG launches an anti-DRM website, "FCKDRM" to advocate against using any form of DRM

goDHw9a.png

Most dedicated PC gamers are familiar with the name GOG, otherwise known as Good Old Games, a digital game retailer owned by the company behind the Witcher series of games, CD Projekt. They're renown for selling games with no form of DRM whatsoever, believing that once you buy a game, you should be free to fully own it, rather than being bound by anti-piracy measures.

This stance has brought GOG to its latest attempt to inform gamers: the "FCKDRM initiative".

A new site, made by CD Projekt has gone live, called fckdrm.com, tries to advocate the public against all forms of DRM, claiming them as not only anti-consumer, but that they can also act as a "kill switch" that could easily prevent owners from accessing their purchases. A ticker on the top of the site says the following:

Did you know that there's a killswitch in your games/books/music/movies/apps?
It's called DRM, and it can block your access to things you bought.
You can still take control by choosing DRM-free sources.

DENTFQC.png

The site then lists problems with media that has DRM, such as the inability to have offline access or a loss of consumer rights, as well as being a roadblock in terms of digital preservation.

DRM-free approach in games has been at the heart of GOG.COM from day one. We strongly believe that if you buy a game, it should be yours, and you can play it the way it’s convenient for you, and not how others want you to use it.

The landscape has changed since 2008, and today many people don’t realize what DRM even means. And still the DRM issue in games remains – you’re never sure when and why you can be blocked from accessing them. And it’s not only games that are affected, but your favourite books, music, movies and apps as well.

To help understand what DRM means, how it influences your games and other digital media, and what benefits come with DRM-free approach, we’re launching the FCK DRM initiative. The goal is to educate people and ignite a discussion about DRM. To learn more visit https://fckdrm.com, and share your opinions and stories about DRM and how it affects you.

At the bottom of the page is a list of causes to support, such as non-profit companies Defective By Design, which focuses on showing the failures of DRM in different forms, as well as the Electronic Frontier Foundation, who try to lobby and fight legal battles against companies who try to force DRM upon their users. Bandcamp, GOG, OpenLibra, and Vimeo are all noted for being a source of DRM-free media, as an alternative to more mainstream options.

:arrow: Source

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2)But then you agree, that the "Lost sales" are not " " and that there is an impact on sales. It doesn't matter if it is miniscule or not. The point is that the pirate is depriving the company of money. Again it doesn't matter if a companies that's worth billons is complaing about losing one sale, it is their sales
I know you said it doesn't matter, but just for shits and giggles, I went to one of the biggest, if not THE biggest private game tracker and sorted the torrents by most snatched. The most snatched game was Sims 3 with the base game having just over 2000 snatches, and the updates and DLCs barely breaking a few hundred. Even if we pretend that each of those snatches was unique (they aren't), we can extrapolate that only about 10% of the people who pirated the game, stuck with it long term enough to get the subsequent DLCs and updates. Now, at $60 a game (this figure is flawed as well, since the publisher actually doesn't get full retail when they distribute the games), that's a loss of $120,000. Now Denuvo acts like it's a big trade secret to discuss license fees (probably because they're swindlers and charge some publishers more because they can), but I can't imagine it being any less than $100,000 for a Denuvo license, so if anything they're probably breaking even or in some cases maybe losing money by implementing DRM.

Yes, publishers have a right to protect their games, but no, we don't have to respect their wishes either. We have a right to boycott the games, music, movies, TV until their respective industries enter the 21st century and stop treating their customers like criminals. Hell, even fucking Wal-Mart doesn't do that anymore. Speaking of criminals, it should not be an international felony to bypass DRM. There are legitimate uses for removing DRM. One is to make a backup that you can keep forever, where the publisher can't decide to remotely deactivate the license one day and make your library unplayable. Another is to improve performance. All DRM schemes have some overhead by their nature. Some are negligible, but many aren't. On a low-to-midrange PC, it can sometimes make the difference between 20fps and a much smoother 30. Cracking DRM can serve uses in education too. Things like learning cyber-security. Openly cracking DRM and sharing your methods could also help those companies (as much as I hate to say it) learn and improve their own DRM schemes. Hell, even distributing pre-cracked executables should be legal. BUT MUH COPYRIGHTED CODE I hear you say, just relax, the .exe and .dll files by themselves are useless without the rest of the game assets. Those are the people you need to hunt down, the ones distributing the entirety of the game. Not some random cracker who lives in a country where you have no official market for your games to begin with (btw, I would venture a guess that most piracy happens in regions where these publishers have no official market, so how many sales are they actually losing?).

My philosophy is that if your product is good enough, that's DRM on its own. If I were to make some sort of creative work, like music, a game, or a book, I wouldn't be disheartened to see it on a torrent or DDL site. I'd be somewhat flattered that someone cared enough about my work to go through the effort of distributing it. I'd even distribute some of my older works on there to get extra exposure. It's a good PR move. Trent Reznor realized this. That's why he has official accounts on major public torrent trackers, and distributed many albums there, and even the "Broken Movie" which would have never seen an official release otherwise. Plus, I think just reading the comments can give you a good feel for how your potential customers react to your product. That's what they should be called: potential customers, not lost sales.

WildDog

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I know you said it doesn't matter, but just for shits and giggles, I went to one of the biggest, if not THE biggest private game tracker and sorted the torrents by most snatched. The most snatched game was Sims 3 with the base game having just over 2000 snatches, and the updates and DLCs barely breaking a few hundred. Even if we pretend that each of those snatches was unique (they aren't), we can extrapolate that only about 10% of the people who pirated the game, stuck with it long term enough to get the subsequent DLCs and updates. Now, at $60 a game (this figure is flawed as well, since the publisher actually doesn't get full retail when they distribute the games), that's a loss of $120,000. Now Denuvo acts like it's a big trade secret to discuss license fees (probably because they're swindlers and charge some publishers more because they can), but I can't imagine it being any less than $100,000 for a Denuvo license, so if anything they're probably breaking even or in some cases maybe losing money by implementing DRM..
The problem is that Denuvo is only one type of DRM and is not even the most used one.
So i don't know why people think that DRM = Denuvo
Yes, publishers have a right to protect their games, but no, we don't have to respect their wishes either. We have a right to boycott the games, music, movies, TV until their respective industries enter the 21st century and stop treating their customers like criminals. Hell, even fucking Wal-Mart doesn't do that anymore. Speaking of criminals, it should not be an international felony to bypass DRM. There are legitimate uses for removing DRM. One is to make a backup that you can keep forever, where the publisher can't decide to remotely deactivate the license one day and make your library unplayable. Another is to improve performance. All DRM schemes have some overhead by their nature. Some are negligible, but many aren't. On a low-to-midrange PC, it can sometimes make the difference between 20fps and a much smoother 30. Hell, even distributing pre-cracked executables should be legal. BUT MUH COPYRIGHTED CODE I hear you say, just relax, the .exe and .dll files by themselves are useless without the rest of the game assets.
The problem is that "BUT MUH COPYRIGHTED CODE" was not free to make, for you a game is that just a game... But it took a lot of funds, time and sacrifice to make... If the author want to share it with the world, HEY AWESOME!!. But if the author want to profit with it, you have to respect it.
You think a company is doing something wrong, just don't buy the software, don't use it, don't talk about it, let it died in obscurity, then the company will see how to change their actions. Getting a pirate version will only fuel companies that denuvo, who will come with more shitty DRM
Cracks sometimes can also hinder the performance, a friend of mine pirated The Evil within 2, it ran like shit. I went to his house and we played my original version and it did play much better... So crackers are not saints that always want the best for the poor people that cannot afford software, some crackers may be "legit" but other you don't know exactly what crap he may hide under his crack.
My philosophy is that if your product is good enough, that's DRM on its own. If I were to make some sort of creative work, like music, a game, or a book, I wouldn't be disheartened to see it on a torrent or DDL site. I'd be somewhat flattered that someone cared enough about my work to go through the effort of distributing it.
Can you pay your bills with "I'm flattered that people takes my work and don't pay me for it?"
Can you buy a car with it?
What can you do with it?
Most of the people that like to shout "THE SOFTWARE BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE!!! THEY ARE JUST IDEAS!!! IT MAKES THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE IF WE SHARE THEM!!!, OPEN SOURCE EVERYTHING!!"
Stop thinking like that, once they work for months, losing sleep, weekends inside the house making a piece of software... Once that happens, they want to get money for their hard work...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Blocking something.... That I... Paid for... I thought that was clear...?
I read the exchange as
"my school, has nice blacklist"
You say
Get a VPN my son
They said
My school usually blocks those too
at that point you said you would send in the lawyers

That is where I ended up at a loss.

Reactions: RedBlueGreen

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt there is enough evidence to prove that DRM is truly that beneficial to first-day game sales, vs. releasing games without DRM and/or DRM cracks *shrug*. DRM only appeases the investors, Denuvo being among the worst. This is my opinion, but if I'm wrong about DRM being really that helpful towards sales, so be it. I will say that DRM does not stop piracy, but only exacerbates it and makes cracking it more appealing.

Arolandis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DRM really annoys the fuck out of me with it's online only bullshit. Even worse is I have a harder time modding or what I consider "fixing" my games (mostly PC) because of the DRM shit blocking my way. And of course I don't want to have to buy the game and then download some virus-ridden cracked version just to mod it.

FancyNintendoGamer567

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the topic on malware filled DRMs.
Let's talk about Sonic Bat-. Jk, obviously we're not gonna talk about a virus filled program disguised as a good Sonic fan game.
edit: i actually don't even know the name of that game anymore but that doesn't matter

Last edited by FancyNintendoGamer567, , Reason: patz spollin
Reactions: TheMCNerd2017

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only place would be instagram.