Cave Story 3D Gets Release Date

tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Cave Story 3D Gets Release Date
Cave Story missed its promised “launch window”, but the real release date has been unveiled. Find out how long (or how soon) you’ll have to wait inside.
It had been reported previously that Nippon Ichi, the publisher behind hardcore RPG hits such as Disgaea and Phantom Brave, would be releasing a 3D remake of the cult favorite Cave Story. The game originally began as a free PC title created by one man (Daisuke “Pixel” Amaya) and soon went on to be released on Nintendo WiiWare and DSiWare, respectively. The 3DS version would retain the 2D gameplay and perspective, but would now feature fully 3D polygonal characters, enemies, and backgrounds.

When we last looked at the game, NIS had claimed that the game would be ready by the 3DS’ launch window. Well, that window is currently wide open with no release in sight, but the company now has an official date for Quote’s comeback. The game will be hitting North American stores on June 28th, which seems to be the magic month for 3DS games (including Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D). No word on when Europe will receive it, but hopefully it will be within the same timeframe.
In addition to the graphical makeover, Pixel also mentioned that there would be “several new elements” to look forward to, including remixed music (along with the original soundtrack for purists), as well as material that was previously only available in Cave Story’s original beta. Previous playthroughs of the 3D version have indicated that the visuals do not impede on the original feel of the game, and that it plays every bit as fluid as the original. This is good news for fans, as it was the tight controls and addictive action that made the original Cave Story such a hit in the first place.

We can only expect that NIS will toss in some sort of tie-in with one of their games. Perhaps an unlockable Prinny outfit, for instance.

Source

Contributed by compfaqz

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Only till June huh? I hope that's enough time for correct things like this or this.

I'm sure the game will probably still be fun to play, but graphically the game needs an overhaul.

Damn, is that cover art official?
ohnoes.png

beenii

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i only played the free version on my PSP, but nevertheless it instantly became one of my favorite games of all time. i'm a little disappointed, that its only a port and not a sequel and to be honest, even though i love this game, i dont think its worth the price of a retail game, even with new visuals (because its free for PC and PSP). everyone with a hacked PSP or DSi/Wii should definatly play this one. especially if your into games such as castlevania, metroid,...

ps: i found a 3D-model, which could have been used in the 3DS-version.

url]

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I guess I know what games I'm getting in June. Zelda and Cave Story will keep me plenty entertained on my summer trip.
happy.gif
(NC to OK for my family reunion and visiting my wife's folks. Can't wait!)

beenii

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i never said you, or someone else, should not buy this game. its fantastic. i just said, that i, myself, wont buy this for the usual retail price (lets face it. day one buy for me, cause i love it, but in my mind i dont want to pay 40-50 euros for it). if it would be a sequel, there would be no hesitation at all. if i can find it cheaper down the road and wait with my purchase, im happy to pay about 20 euros for it. but thats just me. dont be offended with my oppinion...

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
prwlr. said:
I hope the EUR version doesn't take FOREVER.
Is the Wii and DSi version even out here yet?
Yes and No. Wii version was released on December 10. 2010. DSi version has never seen it's release.. Thus no Cave Story for Eu DSi's..

-Qtis

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
beenii said:
i never said you, or someone else, should not buy this game. its fantastic. i just said, that i, myself, wont buy this for the usual retail price (lets face it. day one buy for me, cause i love it, but in my mind i dont want to pay 40-50 euros for it). if it would be a sequel, there would be no hesitation at all. if i can find it cheaper down the road and wait with my purchase, im happy to pay about 20 euros for it. but thats just me. dont be offended with my oppinion...
I didn't specifically mean you, I was just bringing up the "I don't want to buy the same game" example people keep forgetting about.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It not exactly the same game, it a remake not just a port... Well anyway it look like a soild
buy to me. Plus I'm pretty sure this one will take more work than the last titles.

The cover art wasn't that bad.

Oh and Guild original soundtrack is still there and visual doesn't affect the feel.
tongue.gif

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hate how everything now has "3D" in the title, this is not the 90's people.

What ever happened to releasing all the good games in small doses, it seems they are coming in June
unsure.gif

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to see Pixel and Cave Story moving up.
That first foray with Nicolas wasn't so great but now that hes moved on things seem to be getting better.
I look forward to seeing how this one shapes up.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Oh and Guild original soundtrack is still there and visual doesn't affect the feel.
tongue.gif

My whole argument is that the visual change affects the entire feel of the game. Saying "it doesn't" isn't a valid counterpoint.

But fuck it. I won't buy this version. I'll stick with saying the PSP version is awesome and probably better than this one (since it's the same as the PC version with good controls).

EDIT: And having an 8-bit styled soundtrack with a 3D game seems like an awful design choice.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
KingVamp said:
tongue.gif
The visual style is almost as if not totally as important to the game's feel as the soundtrack.
Hell, it's actually more important. The 8-bit-ish visuals are what makes the game unique.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeadLocked said:
I hate how everything now has "3D" in the title, this is not the 90's people.

What ever happened to releasing all the good games in small doses, it seems they are coming in June
unsure.gif
you should be used to it by now honestly....remember when everything was super? .....remember when everything ended in 64....remember when everything was advance/ed ....or how about when everything ended in ds...

Its always been that way for nintendo (although I cant think of anything for the gamecube)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...