Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Snailface said:
Now this is more like it. The Cave Story 3ds devs have added a 2d sprite mode.
The project is saved.
tongue.gif
(maybe)

201557-CS3Dheader.jpg
I got my hopes up when they said there was gonna be a 2D mode. Then I saw that screenshot earlier and was grossed out.

I was hoping it was totally 2D.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:

That looks hideous. They're "trying" to pay homage to the original by slapping 2D sprites over a 3D background. Aren't they so clever...

This is by far the worst looking version of Cave Story I've seen though. I would recommend not buying this and get it for free on the PC, PSP or a bunch of other places it got ported to.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Ikki said:
Snailface said:
Now this is more like it. The Cave Story 3ds devs have added a 2d sprite mode.
The project is saved.
tongue.gif
(maybe)

-snippy-
I got my hopes up when they said there was gonna be a 2D mode. Then I saw that screenshot earlier and was grossed out.

I was hoping it was totally 2D.

Here is a Nicalus developer explaining their actions:
When we started on the project back in December, I really wanted to find a way to make 2D characters also work in 3D space. Being a Cave Story fan myself, I thought other fans would probably appreciate it too. Anyway, we've spent a lot of time testing and making sure it works right, but now we have 2D characters in the 3D game. This includes the main character, Curly, all the Mimiga-- literally every character and boss in the game as 2D sprites in a 3D world. What you won't see, due to the fact that it's a new engine and differences between the hardware, are the environments in 2D or the WiiWare sprites and art.
I don't know why they don't just port the PSP version for the sake of completeness. Maybe legal issues, lack of funding, or laziness.

nilly

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ill pretty sure im getting it for the 3ds, don't have it on wiiware but played a bit on pc and like the gameplay, the 3ds graphics looks great, mabye not in par with other upcoming 3ds titles, but it IS cute for sure.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Snailface said:

That looks hideous. They're "trying" to pay homage to the original by slapping 2D sprites over a 3D background. Aren't they so clever...

This is by far the worst looking version of Cave Story I've seen though. I would recommend not buying this and get it for free on the PC, PSP or a bunch of other places it got ported to.

Dude, the 2D sprites are options. The game, by default, plays with 3D models. I think it looks good, sounds good, and the only reason I think most people are taking issue with the game is that it was previously either free or really cheap (WiiWare/DSiWare).

I'm looking forward to it. It was a great game on WiiWare, and it will be a treat to play it in 3D.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Snailface said:
I don't know why they don't just port the PSP version for the sake of completeness. Maybe legal issues, lack of funding, or laziness.
Or how about it's because the PSP version is a port and is homebrew.
Or do you want a port of a port?

If you want the normal Cave Story on your 3DS, get the DSi version or -snip-

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can swap out the 3D sprites with 2D according to them, so I'm considering this.. Wish it wasn't so far away!

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks bad man.

When you make a game with 3D models, you have to edit the physics too so they don't seem so blocky.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It suddenly looks more promising because of 2D visuals in a 3D environment?

How does one change do that?
laugh.gif

This game has so many different feelings towards it. (whether it be bias or not)

laugh.gif

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KingVamp said:
It suddenly looks more promising because of 2D visuals in a 3D environment?

How does one change do that?
laugh.gif

This game has so many different feelings towards it. (whether it be bias or not)

laugh.gif
I know it's weird, but it gives the game a lot more hope to not see the horrid 3D models they were using.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
RupeeClock said:
I know it's weird, but it gives the game a lot more hope to not see the horrid 3D models they were using.

It might look different later in the finished product. From the interviews I got the notion they haven't finished the models yet.

Besides, we can always get the full 2D version as DSiWare or later from the 3DS eShop.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Guild McCommunist said:
Snailface said:

I was playin Cave Story on my laptop yesterday at school. Couple blokes started watching me. I heard from one of 'em:
"Why would you play something like this? It looks terrible!" and then the teacher checked it out and said "This looks like my childhood"

But anyway, a huge update like this is going to take care of the first one, and make the game marketable to this generations retarded youth.

I had my doubts as well when I first saw this, but after seeing how fast the action goes, I'm not concerned any more. The graphics don't bug me, and after playing all the way through the game to the final ending six times, it'll be sweetness to be able to see it in an all new way. And they say it'll have all the new content of the Wii version and more. I want to see what the more is.

Also, I take it you hated Paper Mario.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks