Homebrew Cash Bounty - Interactive Fiction Interpreter Needed

sonny_jim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I reckon they are being a dirkhead. It doesn't matter if it existed already in my mind. The fact that they are ignoring me now only winds me up further. I reckon it was just a case of dangle a carrot, get what they wanted and then run for the hills.

Ikz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heaven forbid I miss a hypothetical; I'm not active here. Look at how many posts I have.

I will address the question, though. DSLinux already exists. That's why it didn't get the bounty, no one exerted effort to meet my specs. It's incidental to my request, not a result. I'm not saying they don't deserve to make money off of it, but it's still just Frotz as it stood beforehand. ALSO, the keyboard is just as bad as DSFrotz's, and the font is actually worse. There's no dangling here, this thing literally did not even -meet- the specs. RAM's something I was lucky enough to even have, but I consider that incidental as well. If whatever entry there was had required RAM, well hell, it's not like I won't already have it. (To clarify, requiring RAM doesn't really hurt but it doesn't help if what I'm trying to generate is something accessible to the community)

Which brings me to this:
QUOTE said:
I'd be more than willing to code a special version of DSLinux especially for playing Frotz that wouldn't need a Slot-2 RAM extension.

I'm assuming you're serious, considering that after googling your name I've found that you're part of the DSLinux dev team or something like it. Active on the forums at least.

And I kind of respect that you're a dick to people who waste your time but helpful to people that deserve it.

So here's the deal. It's still worth the whole bounty to me if you release a version of DSLinux (to the list of IF interpreters I've linked to before, and me, obviously) with the following things altered from your normal DLDI release:

-If you think you can do it, get it to run Frotz with any game it normally does under DSLinux, without extra RAM. I guess you'll be taking out parts of the OS or apps it doesn't need to do this.

-Change the default font to something I give you. I'll e-mail it to you if I get a response, so I'll be checking back later today and at uncertain intervals afterward. I think it'll be the same size as the current font, but I'm not sure what the size is yet. I'm changing it around, though, definitely. It needs every horizontal pixel it can muster, but as long as I'm changing things I know how I want the letters to look.

-The keyboard. The one reason I wouldn't have paid for it as-is (due to specs, remember the anal part?). It takes up only half the bottom screen. So what I'm proposing is one that looks the same, but is larger, with an IF-centric layout, of my own creation. Also something I'll e-mail to you if you accept. Unless you think you can be talked through a layout with new 25-by-25-pixel keys.

So, is that satisfactory?

Once again, no disrespect to DSLinux, but the specs were what mattered from the beginning. Since you're using Frotz on top of Linux, DSLinux needs to meet the community's needs for the money.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main issue that I can see with those demands is that the DSLinux keyboard system is very deeply embedded in the source, from my understanding. Creating an entirely new layout would be rather labor-intensive and would not be as simple as applying a new bitmap image to the screen. But I suppose that's the point of the bounty in the first place.

Also, just for the record, Sonny_Jim is the only remaining active DSLinux developer, as all the others have sold their DS equipment and moved on. Some people occasionally contribute a program or two on the forums, but he's the only one who still makes semi-major changes.

Ikz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's weird. You'd think a virtual keyboard would be the first thing that's independent from the OS.

Regardless, if that's true, then I'm having a hard time finding a reason to commission the changes to DSLinux at all. I don't think it's fair not to enforce standards that otherwise I would have been hard-up about.

I mean, even if someone came up with a completely new program and its keyboard wasn't any better than DSFrotz's, I would find it difficult to say they've completed the bounty. So one could imagine that I'm hesitant to fork over money for something that not only existed prior to the bounty being posted, but something that doesn't meet spec.

Now, that's not to say I'm going to begrudge sonny jim the bounty simply because DSLinux existed beforehand. If it can meet the 3 new specifications above, I'll still pay for it. But specs, people. Seriously. I'm already making a few exceptions to my first post just to accommodate DSLinux.

Honestly, someone reason to me how, at the very base of the issue, I should feel obligated to pay for something that only solves 1 of 3 major problems I had with DSFrotz? Not to mention the one problem solved is the doing of the original creator of Linux Frotz, not DSFrotz (compatibility).

Anyway, I'd like to hear from the dev whether or not the keyboard can be modified. I'm not interested in skinning it or changing the keys available, just location and size.

RexNebular

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Some DS touchscreens return very inaccurate results at the edges of the screen. You might not be able to reliably push keys in all corners of the screen. This might be less of a problem with DS Lites but it was a common problem with the original DS. Of course that's even more of a reason for a resizable/movable keyboard.

Ikz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, exactly. I'm just thinking the ergonomics could be improved for the default, but the fully-customizable deal is always preferable in any application. Though if I had dead spots on my touchscreen I'd probably just stick with games that are button controlled. That sounds annoying.

Ikz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone can get in contact with Sonny Jim, to let him know about this, it would be appreciated. I'll just leave a PM for him and stop bumping this topic.

Ikz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had known the dev for DSLinux was hanging around over there, I'd probably have been less impersonal about it. I was just dropping the name of the prog for anyone who was still following my trail after I gave up the search for a coder. I think they have a right to know what the alternatives are to solving a problem as opposed to seeing my query drop off the face of the internets unannounced. Obviously though, it doesn't meet my requirements at all so it annoyed me just as much to see someone laying claim to a bounty for being nothing more than something I'm willing to settle for after a failed search for real improvement.

Anyway, thanks for all the development you've done on DSLinux. I understand if you don't think it's worth the time to change things around for such a small audience of IF users.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system