Cascade of cancelled 3DS games

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
[*] Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy (Ubisoft) Could have been amazing, seeing as they could have done more than a lackluster platformer this time.
[*] My Garden (EA) Would have been fun to look at, and a great way to show off the 3D visuals.
[*] DJ Hero 3 (Activision) Didn't have high hopes anyway, just a limited version of the console game.
[*] Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ) Fuck, I was really looking forward to this. Could have been a great example of an M game on a Nintendo handheld.
[*] Omega Five (Hudson) We really need more games like this... I'd have loved it.
[*] Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson) Game looked amazing on the Wii, it would have been much better than the Monkey Ball we got.
[*] Bonk (Hudson) I loved Bonk!
[*] Bomberman (Hudson) I loved Bomberman! I wanted to play this one so bad!
[*] BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC) Meh, I doubt this would have been too great anyway.
[*] MegaMan Legends (Capcom) Fuck you, Capcom. Fuck you.
[*] Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC) I was looking forward to this. I really wanted to see how it'd play differently from the PSP version that I liked a lot.
[/list]
If these titles actually went through with production, the 3DS would have gained immediate popularity, making the reason they were cancelled non-existent. Why are game companies so stupid sometimes?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
How is it that great in your opinion? It's barely a step up from the PSP in terms of hardware, its saving grace is the 3D display. Need I remind you how old the PSP is?
Just... just no.

Anyway, tbh even with all this over the top,but understandable complaints and small over exaggerated cancellations,
I doubt the 3DS is in any trouble.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
It seems that over the past few weeks quite a few publishers have decided to cancel various projects for the Nintendo 3DS. Some of them were highly anticipated; the present and future of the 3DS aren't looking too bright at this point to say the least. Let's summarize the cancelled projects:
  • Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy (Ubisoft)
  • My Garden (EA)
  • DJ Hero 3 (Activision)
  • Saints Row: Drive-by (THQ)
  • Omega Five (Hudson)
  • Kororinpa: Marble Mania (Hudson)
  • Bonk (Hudson)
  • Bomberman (Hudson)
  • BloodRayne: The Shroud (TBC)
  • MegaMan Legends (Capcom)
  • Crush 3D (Sega) (TBC)
That's quite a lot of games and I know for a fact many of us were looking forward to playing at least one of the above. Tell us what you think about this. According to you what is the reason for all those cancellations? How do you explain this situation? Debate the subject by posting in this very thread.

Its stupid crap like this that gives new systems a bad rap and possible buyers the turn away. Most of these games on the list with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 are all crap any ways, Bonks ok at best. This happens all the time in the game industry and if we have learned to deal with yet, well deal with it now these things happen and only the game company knows why!

JoyConG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hudson games were already cancelled by Konami, all work was ceased during the final acquisition.

The rest are afraid of how shoddily the system is performing. Legends 3 I found surprising since the deciding factor was supposed to be the prototype on the eshop.. but it was scrapped altogether before that even happened.

Out of all of those games, I would have bought Bomberman and possibly DJ Hero.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really don't think that list is all that big, and there are still a LOT of games coming. It is summer and usually gaming in the summer is slacking off a bit so as the holidays come back around things will pick up again. Even though by weekly comparison on "Video game charts" the 3DS is currently outselling the PSP in the states selling 27,289 Million units, and world wide 71,241 Million units. It is still a new machine and the more people spread the news the more it seems to pick up.

I'd rather have it this way than flood the market with games which a lot would end up as crap. Then have a long dry period. Pacing out the games seems to be a good idea and is making a lot of money that way.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
The list could definitely be worse. I am sad to see titles like Megaman or Assassins Creed canceled but at the same time I hope this means that when games do finally get released on the 3DS, they are of good quality. I don't mind cancellations as much as bad content put on a console just because the company wants some money in its pocket. It is also possible a lot of these cancellations are due to the change in portable gaming. Right now mobiles are something people already want. I myself have an iphone. But I would never replace an iphone with the quality that is offered via Nintendo.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jan1tor said:
I really don't think that list is all that big, and there are still a LOT of games coming. It is summer and usually gaming in the summer is slacking off a bit so as the holidays come back around things will pick up again. Even though by weekly comparison on "Video game charts" the 3DS is currently outselling the PSP in the states selling 27,289 Million units, and world wide 71,241 Million units. It is still a new machine and the more people spread the news the more it seems to pick up.

I'd rather have it this way than flood the market with games which a lot would end up as crap. Then have a long dry period. Pacing out the games seems to be a good idea and is making a lot of money that way.
Considering the small list of games that is available now, that list is big.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
The first post needs to get rid of Crush 3D from the list.

SEGA said today it is delaying the release of Shinobi and Crush 3D for the Nintendo 3DS.

Shinobi will now release on November 15, 2011. Crush 3D was pushed to February 21, 2012.

Striked out the unneeded part
tongue.gif

arrow.gif
Proof

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually the list of games right now isn't small. Here is the list and I have removed the ones from the post.
Looks like quite a line up actually.

Ace Combat 3D

Animal Crossing 3D

Animal Resort

AR Games

Asphalt 3D

Bakugan: Rise of the Resistance

BlazBlue: Contimuum Shift II2D FightingArc

Bust-a-Move Universe 3D

Cartoon Network SuperToon Rumble3D

Cave Story 3DS2D

Chocobo Racing

Class of Heroes

Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D

The Conduit 3DS

Contra 3D

Cubic NinjaAction

de Blob: The Underground2D

Dead or Alive: Dimensions 3D

Deca Sports Extreme Olympic Sports

Dector Leutrec and the Forgetten Knights

Donald Duck 3D

Dragon Quest 3D

Dream Trigger Rail

Dragon Ball 3D

Driver: Renegade 3D

Dual Pen Sports

Dynasty Warriors 3D

Earthpedia

EST

Eternal Eden

Etrian Odyssey

FIFA Soccer 3D

Face Racers: Photo Finish

Fantasy Life 3D

Final Fantasy 3D

Fishing 3D

Fish On Fishing

Frogger 3D

Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters

Gundam: The 3D Battle

Hakuoki 3D

Harvest Moon 3D

James Noir's Hollywood Crimes

Jewel Pet 3D

Kawaii Koinu 3D

Karous

Kid Icarus: Uprising 3D

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop

Kung Fu Panda 3D

Kyabijoppi for Nintendo 3D

Layton-kyoju VS Gyakuten Saiban

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars 3D

Lego Pirates of the Caribbean

Licca-chan

Lion's Pride: Adventures of the Serenget

Madden NFL 3DS

Martha Stewart 3DS

Mario Kart 3DS

Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet

Medabots 3D

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Motto Me De Unou o Kitaeru: Sokudoku Jutsu 3D

Naruto Shippuden Action Project 3D

New Super Mario Bros. 3D

Ninja Gaiden 3D

Nikoli's Pencil

Nintendogs + Cats

One Piece: Unlimited Cruise

Pac-Man & Galaga DimensionsActionNamco

Paper Mario 3D

The Penguins of Madagascar

Pilotwings Resort 3D

Pro Evolution Soccer 3DS

Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle

Project LovePlus

Pro Yakyuu Famista

Rabbids: Travel in Time 3D

Rayman 3D

Resident Evil: Revelations 3D

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D

Ridge Racer 3D

Rodea the Sky Soldier

Runabout for Nintendo 3DS

Samurai Warriors: Chronicles

Shanghai 3D Cube

Shin Megami Tensei 3D

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor

The Sims 3DVirtual Life

Sonic the Hedgehog

Spongebob SquigglePants

Star Fox 64 3D

Steel Diver 3D

Super Mario Bros 3DS

Super Monkey Ball 3D

Super Robot Wars

Super Street Fighter IV 3D

Tales of the Abyss

Tetris Axis

THOR: God of Thunder

Time Travelers

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Virus Shooter

WonderWorld Amusement Park

Yu-Gi-Oh 3D

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
KingVamp said:
Foxi4 said:
How is it that great in your opinion? It's barely a step up from the PSP in terms of hardware, its saving grace is the 3D display. Need I remind you how old the PSP is?
Just... just no.

Anyway, tbh even with all this over the top,but understandable complaints and small over exaggerated cancellations,

Very funny. PSP was somewhere between the PSX and the PS2, the 3DS is PS2 level of graphics, end of story. You don't have to agree, nobody says you have to be right.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
KingVamp said:
Foxi4 said:
Just... just no.

Very funny. PSP was somewhere between the PSX and the PS2, the 3DS is PS2 level of graphics, end of story. You don't have to agree, nobody says you have to be right.
Well I wouldn't say "barely", but it's not a gigantic jump.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
KingVamp said:
Foxi4 said:
Just... just no.

I didn't mean come on so strong(?),but that just isn't right. It is a bit higher than even the ps2 level of graphics.

You don't have to agree, nobody says you have to be right as well.
wink.gif

D

Deleted_171835

The problem with this whole ordeal is that the 3DS is still early into its lifespan. A couple cancelled games won't bode well for the system. I'm certainly disappointing with a number of the game cancellations (Bomberman, Assassin's Creed Lost Legacy and in particular MegaMan Legends) but it's not going to be the end for the system. There's still a number of good games that have yet to come out for the system.
  • Animal Crossing
  • Bit.Trip Saga
  • Cave Story 3D
  • Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3
  • Fantasy Life
  • Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
  • Luigi's Mansion 2
  • Mario Kart 3DS
  • Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
  • Paper Mario 3D
  • Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle
  • Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney
  • Resident Evil Revelations
  • Rune Factory 4
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
  • Star Fox 64 3D
  • Sonic Generations
  • Super Mario 3DS
  • Super Smash Bros. 3DS
  • Tales of the Abyss
  • Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
  • Time Travelers
  • Project LovePlus (if you like dating sims)
And I'm sure once those games are released, there will be many more games to take their place. It's a dangerous cycle, though. If companies don't make games, the system won't sell. And if the system doesn't sell, companies won't make games for the system. It's pretty much a given that the sales of the 3DS are going to increase by a lot when some of the first-party games get released this holiday season.

@Foxi4:
The 3DS has been shown to be capable of Wii-level graphics. Certainly a step-up over the PS2 and the PSP. We just haven't seen any games (that are released) to take advantage of that power, which is understandable since the system is still early in its lifespan.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
KingVamp said:
Foxi4 said:
KingVamp said:
Foxi4 said:
Just... just no.

I didn't mean come on so strong(?),but that just isn't right. It is a bit higher than even the ps2 level of graphics.

You don't have to agree, nobody says you have to be right as well.
wink.gif

That's just my opinion, motivated by what I've seen so-far. It's running MGS3, I'll give you that. Like the PS2 did, just at a higher resolution than the 3DS does. As Mahomu said, it's not a graphics "jump". I expected more from Nintendo, it's been 7 years since the launch of the PSP and *this* is the "improvement" we get? C'mon, they could've pushed it a bit further. The 3DS is a machine that was "obselete" the day it was launched, much like the DS was. Nintendo ALWAYS does that, the only instance I can think of where they actually put contemporary hardware in their console was the NGC.

I guess we won't know for sure what's under the hood until someone releases the full specs, althought I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: rule 63 went too far nowadays