Carmageddon Android/iOS, Free Today

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, May 10, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of you may remember Carmageddon, the first in a series of drive-and-kill games for DOS and later Windows. Unlike other racing games of the time, Carmageddon was notable for being a very violent game. In addition to being able to win races by completing laps the fastest (booooriiiing!) you could opt to wreck all the other racers or kill every pedestrian in the area. In addition, you're encouraged to kill pedestrians in general since they instantly award you money you can use to buy powerups, repair your car mid-race, and more. This series was known for being censored when released in certain regions, anything from a different blood color, changing the pedestrians to aliens, or even banning the game outright depending on which game it was and which country it was in.

Unlike other kickstarter-backed 'reincarnation' projects that tend to involve a new group buying the rights (and source if applicable) to the game from the original team, was done by many of the original people at Stainless software.
    As thanks for the kickstarter being backed, the game is free for today.

[​IMG] Carmageddon (Play Store)
    [​IMG] Carmageddon (iTunes)

Ninn and 431unknown like this.

2. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Grabbed it! I need to transfer my old saves from iOS on Android now... :unsure:

3. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    they have not used zombies instead of people? hmm ban coming?

4. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Nah, it has been posted in the App Store at least 6 months ago and it's still there... and everyone knows how stuck-up is Apple with content in their App Store.

5. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    This game was the major victim of the anti-games press. It is not lie when on app page they say: "PC classic that was BANNED AROUND THE WORLD".

Now about the app, to be honest, It is not good at all, It still fells like MS DOS, and MS DOS (I cant explain why) is a problematic environment for racing games.

6. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the heads up. I can't believe I'm Carmageddon this for free.

Dangy and Rydian like this.
  7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Carmageddon is one of my favourite games ever, indeed it is why I learned IPX networking and stuck with it during the utter arseache that was windows 95/98 and IPX, got a 3dfx card eventually and did 3dfx emulation when that became a thing. Carmageddon made me the person I am today?
    RUSSFORMARIO (cheat for the elctrobastard ray)- it is the second game cheat/trick I will probably always remember after the crane game on Zelda DX.

EZ-Megaman and Rydian like this.
  8. 431unknown

431unknown Greatness Awaits

Sep 29, 2008
    United States
    Thanks for the heads up Rydian gonna grab it now.

9. emmanu888

emmanu888 6 years and still going strong

Jan 25, 2009
    Canada
    Victoriaville,Québec
    Thanks for the heads up, I loved that game and I played the demo so much on PC, glad this was released on Android.

10. terminal_illness

terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Aug 29, 2008
    Canada
    Canada! Mah Fukas!
    Again? They can't sell this game very well on mobile can they. I picked it up for free a few months ago.

11. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I much preferred 2 to 1 personally (the handling isn't so "realism" and is more "arcade" so it's easier to have fun with it... in addition to all the other perks), but this seems to run just fine on my Transformer Prime in battery save mode.

Also since I'm Rydian, I already cheated.

[​IMG]

Yayyyyy and stuff, and stuff.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    2 was interesting for me (never did TDR2000 though I get the impression I was one of the few out there to like the N64 port).

Did you ever play splat pack?

Because the amount of publicity they generated from this would otherwise be free? I am guessing there will be a few addons and tweaks

On a different note entirely before all this android/kickstarter lark I did a search for carmageddon for some reason and it returned some news stories dealing with a road system closure in L.A. or something, glad that is no longer the case.

13. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    does it have Iron Maiden songs?

Dangy likes this.
  14. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Never played splat pack.

15. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    Actually, it might be MS DOS. I know there was one game company that licensed Pate's DOS/x86 emulator (ax86, the android port of dsx86) for use in porting their old games over.

16. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    It's using multitouch for the in-game controls, so if so it's pretty customized I assume? His blog doesn't mention it in particular, though I haven't tried ax86 myself.
    http://ax86.patrickaalto.com/ablog.html

17. nl255

nl255 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2004
    I wonder if it supports gamepad controls or if it is on screen controls only.

18. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    I tried hooking my keyboard dock into it, and it didn't seem to want to respond to any presses.

19. codezer0

codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

Jul 14, 2009
    United States
    The Magic School Bus
    I never got to play the first. Had #2 for PC back then, but it clearly doesn't have this level of personality.

Got the free version now on my SGS2. Wishing I could spare the cash to go ahead and buy, but I'm strapped until I can get a damn paycheck already. :cry:

20. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    The play store link is broken - here anyways...