Homebrew Emulator Capturing Virtual Console game state

Gyatso

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the 3DS CFW scene, but experienced as a software engineer. I have a dream of making a cfw add-on for the virtual console: a button that, when tapped, transfers the emulation state of the current game to another emulator (e.g. mGBA on a personal computer), like Apple's handoff feature. Obviously this task is far from trivial; I'm aware it could be a massive undertaking. But I think it could be a cool way to gain experience with emulation and 3DS homebrew app development.

So I had a few questions:
1) has this already been accomplished by another app? If so, then no need to pursue this :shy:
2) has there been research/reverse engineering of the virtual console? Or at least the game state structure, since that's the most pertinent part.
3) any other feedback from experienced devs here?

Thanks!

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I'm new to the 3DS CFW scene, but experienced as a software engineer. I have a dream of making a cfw add-on for the virtual console: a button that, when tapped, transfers the emulation state of the current game to another emulator (e.g. mGBA on a personal computer), like Apple's handoff feature. Obviously this task is far from trivial; I'm aware it could be a massive undertaking. But I think it could be a cool way to gain experience with emulation and 3DS homebrew app development.

So I had a few questions:
1) has this already been accomplished by another app? If so, then no need to pursue this :shy:
2) has there been research/reverse engineering of the virtual console? Or at least the game state structure, since that's the most pertinent part.
3) any other feedback from experienced devs here?

Thanks!
Well all a save state really is, is a 1:1 dump of the current system memory. Transfering that over probably wouldnt be hard, the difficulty is actually extracting that data from the VC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto