Can't update to 11.9 - Luma error

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Ponpokopoi, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Ponpokopoi
    OP

Ponpokopoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2018
    Spain
    My old 3DS XL is on Luma through B9S, sys ver. 11.8. Today I tried to perform a system update and before any progress is done I get this error from Luma (even after updating Luma itself)

An error occurred (ErrDisp)

Error type: generic

Proccess ID: 19
    Proccess name: am
    Proccess title ID: 0x0004013000001502

Address: 0x00109392
    Error code: 0xc86044d2

Press any button to reboot.

(I guess nothing after "proccess name" is useful here) I kind of need to update this 3DS to do a system transfer to a new one but I have no idea of what is causing this error. My best guess is that I setup Luma into CTRNAND since that's the only difference to every other hacked 3DS that I can think of.
    I also activated "Disable ARM11 exception handlers", just in case.

P.S.: I'm just noticing that when I put my 3DS to sleep while in the home menu, it usually can not come back from sleep. Incidentally, I upgraded to B9S just recently so I don't think I have any valid back ups to go back to a more.... ahem... stable version.

Last edited by Ponpokopoi, Dec 6, 2018
  2. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Remove and reinsert the battery to reset RAM memory.

Don't use Disable ARM11 exception handlers because this feature isn't meant for fixing ARM11 crash bugs. It's for mod plugins that conflict with Luma3DS.

Try this post. The part on checking the SD card with H2testw is super important. After verifying the card is in good condition, you should backup your game saves + extdata the first chance you get.

Since you have an o3DSXL, try using the system without WiFi. If you notice a pattern that it crashes whenever WiFi is on, you'll need to disassemble and reseat the WiFi module if it came loose/off.

zacchi4k likes this.
  3. Ponpokopoi
    OP

Ponpokopoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2018
    Spain
    Since the SD card thing will take a while, I tried checking wi-fi first. Since most features ask me to update before using them, I could only use the browser extensively and it worked fine.
    I also tried to perform a system update without the SD card inserted (as I'm backing it up at the moment) and I'm getting exactly the same error as yesterday.

I checked my SD card for NAND back ups and unfortunately the only one I could find was the one I made right before noticing these problems. Anyway, since upgrading to B9S (or downgrading, seeing all this stuff happen) the only changes I've made to my console have been installing Anemone, downloading some themes and splash screens and playing some games (not even installing new ones) but since these only affect the SD card, I assume a NAND restore wouldn't have really helped.

I guess if any physical game is released for 3DS I could use it to try and update the system? Although I might just get the same error.
    It's frustrating that something so minor and so ill-timed is blocking me so hard. If only this update happened one week later...

4. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
  5. Ponpokopoi
    OP

Ponpokopoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2018
    Spain
    Forgot to mention I tried that too. And now that you mentioned it, again without the SD card.
    With this Luma doesn't throw out an exception. However, it doesn't update either: I get the "Updating. Please wait... Do not turn off power" message and the progress bar below never fills a single pixel.

Incidentally, despite my new 3DS updating just fine, I tried going into the router's settings to deactivate any firewall option. Still doesn't work

Last edited by Ponpokopoi, Dec 6, 2018
  6. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Try a second WiFi source with Recovery Mode updating to rule out problem with the Internet.

If you have a second o3DS / o2DS / o3DSXL of the same region (assuming EUR) and that has custom firmware, you can update its 3DS firmware to 11.9.0-42E and try this:
    1. GodMode9 → hold R-shoulder and press (A) on [1:] SYSNAND CRTRNAND → Search for titles.
    2. Hold L-shoulder and press (right) d-pad to highlight select all titles in yellow.
    3. TMD options... → Build CIA (legit) → etc.
    4. Take the *.cia files and use sysUpdater to offline update your o3DSXL to 11.9E.
      • However, make sure you have a fresh SysNAND *.bin image before attempting in case of a softbrick.

A second approach when it becomes available is to download the 11.9.0-42E EUR o3DS firmware package at that darth site.

A third approach is to first downgrade with the 11.7.0-40E package (3c6484ab6c336c8a028198c869a05b02) in hopes of fixing whatever is wrong with the NAND and then update to 11.9.

A fourth approach is to perform an unauthorized (homebrew) System Transfer from (source) o3DSXL → second (target) o3DS / o2DS / o3DSXL under an EmuNAND setup. Update the NAND's firmware on this second system through Recovery Mode only (don't use System Settings). System Transfer the updated NAND back to the o3DSXL and then delete the EmuNAND. I don't recommend this method if it can be helped.

I'm reluctance to suggest CTRTransfer as this will cause you to lose your tickets. You would have to backup all the game saves + extdata with Checkpoint or JKSM. Back up the [ certs / import / ticket / title / tmp_i / tmp_t ] *.db before proceeding. This is like a universal SysNAND restore in fixing software bugs.
    • If GodMode9 doesn't solve the problem, try CTRTransfer in Decrypt9WIP. ← This was included in the starter kit.
    Edit - Forgot to mention, reinject the *.db files and then try updating the 3DS firmware normally.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger, Dec 6, 2018
  7. Ponpokopoi
    OP

Ponpokopoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2018
    Spain
    Thanks for all the help.
    Let's see... I don't have a second o3DS system availiable so options 1 and 4 are unfortunately ruled out.
    I guess I can try number three right now. Just in case though, my o3DS was never on 11.7 and B9S concurrently.

For all these methods that seem to overwrite the firmware, what would happen with all my other data? Namely NNID, friend code and friend list. Would they remain there just like tickets?

If everything else fails, I was thinking of contacting Nintendo to remove my NNID from my o3DS so I can attach it to the n3DS (but I guess in the process I would lose my friend-everything and my Miis), then copy the Nintendo 3DS folder from my o3DS into the n3DS one and finally restore the ticket.db and title.db that I dumped from the o3DS into the n3DS. Would that work to save me a lot of shop redownloading/internet browsing or do such dbs only work with the system [family] they're from?

8. TurdPooCharger

TurdPooCharger Meh

Jan 1, 2018
    United States
    Your private data like NNID, friend code, friend list, tickets, and game saves + extdata are all kept when downgrading or updating the 3DS firmware.

You might lose or reset the play records in the Activity Log. This can be backed up with JKSM or Cthulhu.

Unlinking the NNID from the o3DSXL and relinking onto the n3DS by calling Nintendo will not allow you to pick up using the SD card. The reason for this is because your Nintendo 3DS folder is encrypted from something called the movable.sed. Since a System Transfer did not occur, your (target) n3DS would not receive the *.sed to work with the stuff on the SD card.

If you're not able to use Checkpoint or JKSM to backup your saves + extdata with the o3DSXL, you would instead have to extract the o3DSXL's movable.sed to use fuse-3ds and 3ds-save-tool.

9. Ponpokopoi
    OP

Ponpokopoi Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2018
    Spain
    Alright, tried downgrading and it almost worked. Got a little bit of progress in the bar, and then the same error as always. For now I'll wait until I can try out a different stable wi-fi connection or until 11.9.0 is uploaded. I guess the latter one just can't fail (other than soft-bricking my console).
    Thanks a lot for the help. I've learned a few things if anything.

TurdPooCharger likes this.