Hacking Can't transfer a save from a genuine cart to a rom with sdf :/

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, since it's finally possible to use sdf with genuine games with Gateway (couldn't be bothered to install a cfw), so I tried extracting my Pokemon Y save file and then injecting it to a rom.
Unfortunately it didn't work. I've tried extracting the save from the rom too, and switching between the files ("main" files and then all files), but it either fails to import the save (in the case of changing all files) or the save corrupts (in the case of changing just the "main" files).

Anyone has any idea how to make it work?

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just did it with ACNL.

Create a new save file in the .cia version of the game.
Go to 3dsdb.com to find out the TitleID of your game.
Take the last 5 digits and look for it in User. Press Y to export it to the SD card. Pay attention to the folder name it creates in SD.
Dump CTR to SD card with Y in User. Pay attention to the folder name it creates in SD. (It names folders by Date+Time, so if you did this after the .cia, then you'll know this has a later date)
Put the SD card in the computer. Enter the SD:/filer/<CTRdump>/<CTRtitleid>/ folder and copy+replace the contents over SD:/filer/<ciadump>/<ciadumptitleid>/
Run SDF again and go to SD. Press A on the <ciadump> folder to import it back to the channel.

This likely works with romhacked/region-changed versions of the game, too.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just did it with ACNL.

Create a new save file in the .cia version of the game.
Go to 3dsdb.com to find out the TitleID of your game.
Take the last 5 digits and look for it in User. Press Y to export it to the SD card. Pay attention to the folder name it creates in SD.
Dump CTR to SD card with Y in User. Pay attention to the folder name it creates in SD. (It names folders by Date+Time, so if you did this after the .cia, then you'll know this has a later date)
Put the SD card in the computer. Enter the SD:/filer/<CTRdump>/<CTRtitleid>/ folder and copy+replace the contents over SD:/filer/<ciadump>/<ciadumptitleid>/
Run SDF again and go to SD. Press A on the <ciadump> folder to import it back to the channel.

This likely works with romhacked/region-changed versions of the game, too.

Well thats what I tried with Pokemon Y, but when I try to go into the rom (also cia) it just says the save doesn't work with this version or something like that (which requires me btw to erase the save file).
I thought the problem was that the game has the anti savegame restore, but since ACNL has it too and it worked for you, it must be something else :/

You ARE you using a .cia file right? not a .3ds?

EDIT: JUST TRIED WITH A .3DS FILE AND IT WORKS.
It definitly has something to do with the cia version in that case. So are you sure you were using the cia version and the save file actually worked? because I'd rather use my cia file of Pokemon than waste space on my Gateway memory card.

Last edited by Varia,

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer savedata manager homebrew app. It always works for me. You can try it and see if that solves your issues.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I prefer savedata manager homebrew app. It always works for me. You can try it and see if that solves your issues.

Just tried that, and I'm getting the same error when entering the game ("The saved data is not compatible with this version, so it can't be used.").
Just for the record - both the genuine game and the cia version are European, and I'm using the latest update (1.5).

I really think it has something to do with the anti save game restore that Pokemon Y has, and which game carts don't have (hence the .3ds version did work).

EDIT: OK it seems like that is indeed the problem. Probably it didn't affect CrispyYoshi because they were using their own dump with their own save file.
I'll try SVDT and see if it works.

Last edited by Varia,

Seita

Trophies
XP
Country
Just tried that, and I'm getting the same error when entering the game ("The saved data is not compatible with this version, so it can't be used.").
Just for the record - both the genuine game and the cia version are European, and I'm using the latest update (1.5).

I really think it has something to do with the anti save game restore that Pokemon Y has, and which game carts don't have (hence the .3ds version did work).

EDIT: OK it seems like that is indeed the problem. Probably it didn't affect CrispyYoshi because they were using their own dump with their own save file.
I'll try SVDT and see if it works.

I don't know if some games have that anti backup thing. But I can assure you that I have the very same save in both my 3ds roms and cia games.

Varia

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yay, svdt worked with it's anti-anti save game restore =D
I knew that was the problem hehe. Case closed.

For people who might get stuck in the future and read this:
Make sure you first create a save file in the cia rom (start a new game and save), otherwise you'll still get the corrupted message!

Last edited by Varia,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1