Hacking Question Can't start Switch officially without ReinX + Gallery files not recognized [Help]

Chromez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi everyone,

So for a second Switch i've done the exact same thing (the right files on the SD card) and i injected the payload (reinx.bin) trough Atmosphere programmer onto the Atmosphere dongle (the white one). On my first Switch everything works perfect this way.

Now the next thing i did was put the SD card in the sd slot of the Switch (which was off obviously) then i made a stupid mistake by putting in the Dongle (whilst on) into the Switch and i immediately saw the ReinX splash screen with the anime girl, i did this without first putting the switch into RCM mode. So it got stuck on the Splash screen and everything went black. So i restarted my Switch the right way with RCM mode and the dongle etc and i got into the menu, opened the gallery and i see a screen with HBMENU and it says ''No applications could be found on the SD card. Make sure a folder named /switch exists in the root of the SD card and it contains applications''

Thats problem number 1, now when i switch the N. Switch off completely and try to boot the Switch without the dongle and rcm mode, nothing happens. So i can't boot into the original Nintendo Switch anymore, it only boots up when i boot it with ReinX but then nothing is in the Gallery menu except for that error message.

I guess i messed it up when i put in the dongle instead of using the JIG and the volume + and power button first. Stupid mistake because i was too hasty.

My question to you guys/girls is, how do i fix this? Does anyone know what i can do from here?

Sorry for the long explanation, i'm trying in my best English.

Thanks in advance!!

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why. Use Choi to install the exfat update. Also you need to be able to have the new switch "initialize" the sd card. It creates a Nintendo folder

Chromez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That's why. Use Choi to install the exfat update. Also you need to be able to have the new switch "initialize" the sd card. It creates a Nintendo folder

Ok so i searched around the forum and someone else had the same problem with unable to read his files on his sd card and this was the solution which also worked for me (thank god)

All I did to fix this error was:
  1. selecting all the files and folders in the root of the microSD card
  2. Right click -> Properties
  3. Uncheck read-only (check then uncheck, in case it was already unchecked)
  4. Click on Advanced
  5. Uncheck "File/Folder is ready for archiving"
  6. Ok -> Ok -> Apply recursively to all file and folders
And magically the switch folder was seen again from hbmenu.

Now the only problem that i have is that i can't boot without Reinx so i can't use the system as an official nintendo device. So when i don't use the Jig and the dongle, i can't start up my Nintendo Switch. Is there a solution for this perhaps?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Now the next thing i did was put the SD card in the sd slot of the Switch (which was off obviously) then i made a stupid mistake by putting in the Dongle (whilst on) into the Switch and i immediately saw the ReinX splash screen with the anime girl, i did this without first putting the switch into RCM mode.

The only way that happened is if the switch went into RCM mode. If you don't remember doing that and it is going into RCM without pushing any buttons then the most logical assumption is you used ChoiDujourNX to install firmware & by default that enables autorcm.

The less likely possibility is you somehow corrupted enough of the nand to prevent it booting, but not enough to stop it booting cfw.

Last edited by smf,

Chromez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only way that happened is if the switch went into RCM mode. If you don't remember doing that and it is going into RCM without pushing any buttons then the most logical assumption is you used ChoiDujourNX to install firmware & by default that enables autorcm.

The less likely possibility is you somehow corrupted enough of the nand to prevent it booting, but not enough to stop it booting cfw.

So i assume this problem could be caused because a friend of mine downgraded the firmware and i think ChoiDujourNX is used for that as well right? So possibly he's the one who enabled AutoRCM, is that a possibility? Because i never touched Choi. I guess thats the most obvious connection i can make with what you are telling me and the downgrading of the firmware that happened beforehand.

Ok so lets say the nand is corrupted from booting into the original software but not corrupted enough to boot into ReinX. Does this mean i would have to live with that and i can safely keep on using ReinX and just never boot into the original nintendo software anymore, or can this be fixed, for example with a factory reset of the Switch?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you boot official firmware and you update you'll have a high fuse count. Can you check the fuse count and report back?

It does sound like you might have autocrm installed

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So i assume this problem could be caused because a friend of mine downgraded the firmware and i think ChoiDujourNX is used for that as well right?

It depends. Which version did you downgrade from?

If you downgraded to a version that has a different fuse count to what you've already got burned (see https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses#Anti-downgrade) then the switch can't possibly boot normally. I don't think that forces RCM though, so it probably does have autorcm or it would be a complete and utter pain to boot.

Downgrading to a firmware with a different fuse count is pretty useless though as it prevents sleep mode working. It's only worth doing if you had 6.2, but that definitely does have a different fuse count. If that is the case then it wouldn't have been downgraded with ChoiDujourNX as you can't run it, you have to use ChoiDujour. I don't know if that installs autorcm by default, but as the switch won't boot without going through rcm anyway he may have done.

I'm a bit worried you let someone loose on your switch without finding out what he was doing.

Last edited by smf,

DocKlokMan

Plugin Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i assume this problem could be caused because a friend of mine downgraded the firmware and i think ChoiDujourNX is used for that as well right? So possibly he's the one who enabled AutoRCM, is that a possibility? Because i never touched Choi. I guess thats the most obvious connection i can make with what you are telling me and the downgrading of the firmware that happened beforehand.

Ok so lets say the nand is corrupted from booting into the original software but not corrupted enough to boot into ReinX. Does this mean i would have to live with that and i can safely keep on using ReinX and just never boot into the original nintendo software anymore, or can this be fixed, for example with a factory reset of the Switch?
If your friend downgraded the firmware it was with Choi. Choi enabled AutoRCM by default. It's likely AutoRCM. You can use Choi to disable AutoRCM if you don't want it. As for your homebrew menu not detecting any homebrew, would you happen to use a Mac?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sbeve
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: but the current version is still selling fine at full price