Can't get Gamma or GeckoOS to work properly.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Robotic Earthlin, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

Member Robotic Earthlin GBAtemp Regular

Previously, when my Wii was on version 3.3, I was having problems with Gamma. It would boot games fine, but it could not load its menu. Beta, however, could load the menu as well as boot games though. GeckoOS could not start at all. I have since followed these guides to downgrade to 3.2:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=118446
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=112945
    But when I tried to install Shop IOS51, it froze before it asked me about the third installation. It is my understanding that this particular step only affects the Wii Shop Channel though, and should not affect any homebrew. But this was my first sign of a problem so I thought I should mention it.

Now I can view the Gamma menu, for a change, but it will not boot games, whether I boot through the menu or autoboot. Some time before this mess, my Beta channel somehow got deleted, but when I try to reinstall it now to see if it works as it once did, it appears to successfully install but does not show up with the other channels. GeckoOS still has its original problem.

If anyone could help get Gamma/GeckoOS working, I would greatly appreciate it. If that turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, I would be satisfied with just getting Beta to work as it used to, because right now I have nothing. Thanks.

Also, would you advise deleting all signs of homebrew from my Wii and starting from scratch? If so, should I also delete cIOSs with AnyTitle Deleter? If so, which ones? Could updating to 3.4 before I follow the guides again help at all? I would have done all this already but I'm concerned that because I can't install the Beta channel, other channels will no longer install properly.

Thanks for your help.

2. EmperorOfCanada

Member EmperorOfCanada GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Dumb question. Do you have anything in the gamecube slot?

3. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

You mean controllers or memory cards? I have two of each. @_@ I didn't know it could make a difference.

Why do you ask?

4. DM357

Newcomer DM357 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    Take them out.

Srsly.

5. Zeek03

Member Zeek03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Just do it.

6. Robotic Earthlin
    OP

No way... I can't believe that worked....

Everything works perfect now... Yup, Gamma, GeckoOS, everything.

Seriously, holy molies, that's an extremely important piece of information to leave out of all those guides I read. Why is it not mentioned anywhere?

I just wasted a few days of my life trying to get this to work when all I had to do was take out the memory cards? T_T

Well, thanks a ton, and please, if you ever write some kind of homebrew guide, at least put a PS at the bottom mentioning this.

7. vegeta4ss

Member vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

United States
    when I put HBC beta 8 on my wii a while back I left a gc mem card in and it wouldn't read the sd card. So I know how you feel.

I tend to leave everything out of the GC ports unless its totally necessary. And I remove it after.

Glad to hear your loaders work good now. Gecko also working?