Hacking Cannot Load Retail Gamecube Discs After Installing Dios Mios 2.10

Sagerninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Title says most of it. I installed DM 2.10 and played Kirby Air Ride from my HDD with little issue. However, I cannot play any of my Retail discs since the disc channel won't recognize the disc. I tried installing a clean WAD of both BC v6 and mIOS v10 to no avail, still nothing.

It might help to say that I managed to load Super Mario Sunshine after restarting the wii like 8 times. The wii has recognized 3 different wii discs as well if that says anything about what's wrong here. Thanks for your help in advance.

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
It's a problem with your disc drive. Nintendo doesn't use DVD's, and the formats that they do use isn't really based on DVD either - it's based on a format using the same red-laser technology developed by Matsushita - this saved Nintendo lots of money by licensing their technology instead of licencing DVD technology, and in return Matushita got to release a "Panasonic Q" which was a complete flop! It did work out for Panasonic though, since they got to develop the Wii disc format and the Wii U disc format as well as manufacture the Wii U drive. It's not physically impossible to read these discs from a PC DVD drive, however PC drives have firmware that makes the drive compatible with ... CD, DVD and the associated recorded media, and lacks support for reading a CAV-based format. The Wii has a drive that is designed to read "Nintendo optical discs" (or more appropriately, Nintendo-propriety Panasonic Optical Game Disc Formats), and yeah, while there's really no difference besides the size of an 8cm vs 12cm DVD, the GC disc and the Wii disc are two different formats, and the only thing they share in common is that they're encrypted (kind of like DVD's are) and that they are written in CAV (not CLV like DVD's). If you don't believe me, case mod your Gamecube and then tell me if it reads a Wii disc. If it was the same format, then you should be able to dump Wii games from a Gamecube just as easily as dumping Gamecube games from a Gamecube (you can read a guide for how to do this here).

Anyway, if you've re-installed MIOS v10, then DM is gone from your system, and so you can forget about that being the cause of your issue, like I said it sounds like a hardware problem and the fact that GC and Wii discs are a similar format doesn't mean that they're one and the same, your Wii recognizes Wii discs, and struggles with GC discs. Yet a real GC would read the discs right away, what's that tell you: hardware problem!

Sagerninja

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that's What I wasn't hoping to hear. Well, time to dust off the old gamecube to play these games then I guess. Thanks for the help.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, that's What I wasn't hoping to hear. Well, time to dust off the old gamecube to play these games then I guess. Thanks for the help.

According to the Google Code page, DM does play retail discs (but I haven't used any of mine since ripping them).

My question is: why would you install DM if your intent was to play retail discs? The Wii does that with no modifications at all. If you're set up for Wii game loading off of USB, reinstall DM and rip your games via USB Loader GX and don't worry about it any more. Having my entire GC and Wii library on a single drive is very nice. Give it a try if it floats your boat. :)
Plus if your Wii's drive is not working well, it might be time to rip those games and play that way anyways (in case it actually does break).

Aractus

Trophies
Website
blog.aractus.com
XP
Country
Well, not all games work in DM. You could use WODE to get 100% compatibility, I suppose, with loading GC backups from USB. Or you could just forget WODE and use the disc - well could if the Wii disc drives read GC discs properly, that is!

My Wii has pretty much the same issue, just not as extreme. I'd say maybe 1/4 or 1/5 times it won't read a GC disc properly, but never has that issue with Wii discs or DVD-R's.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, not all games work in DM. You could use WODE to get 100% compatibility, I suppose, with loading GC backups from USB. Or you could just forget WODE and use the disc - well could if the Wii disc drives read GC discs properly, that is!

Last time I was considering buying a WODE (maybe 6~8mos ago) it still didn't support streaming audio games so not even with a WODE is there 100% unfortunately. http://www.wodejukebox.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7115 As far as I can see, it still looks like that's the case unfortunately.

I achieve 100%* playability with my GC games I own by using DM for most of them and for the 4 (?) GC games I have that use streaming audio, I use Devo - and it's all seamless via USBLGX (after setting the streaming games to load via Devo and the rest with DM).

*True DM isn't 100% compatible but it does play 99% of what I have. The only game I have that doesn't work in DM is Odama but if I gotta play it, I can connect the GC or reinstall MIOS. Either way, it's not a like it's a major title so I'm not really that concerned with it.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could actually think of a couple reasons to use DM/DML with retail discs. DM/DML have features that you can't take advantage of on regular MIOS. Like Ocarina and Widescreen hack. I'd say Ocarina is the most redeeming feature of DM for retail games. Of course, it's obviously not better than just loading it all from USB or SD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, why you hurting your sisters