Hacking Cannot dump Last of US 2 from disc

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to access the debug menu in TLOU2 that was recently discovered and this requires a jailbreakable console. I purchased one only so I can get the opportunity to play around with the camera especially during cutscenes.

I manage to jailbreak although it takes a while and I get a lot of memory errors. Once in and able to activate the dump payload I do not see a message that my CUSA disc starts dumping to the flash drive. The message shows that the percentage jumps to 91% and I get the following message repeated every minute:

Waiting for application to copy
91% complete...

Yet it gets stuck here and doesn't move. If I remove the flash drive and check it on my computer there are no files there, nothing seems to have copied and the only file present is dumper.cfg. For whatever reason the dumper is...uh..not dumping at least not the the USB drive.

On Modded Warfare's tutorial video on YT titled (EP) 6 RUN PS4 Disc Games without the Disc Retail to fpkg (7.55 or Lower!) he addresses the issue at the 8:37 timestamp. I managed to get into the console files, deleted the file he suggests but then I cannot start the game. If I reboot the console the game starts, but my guess is that that file is back. So this solution didn't work for me.

My USB drive is 128GB formatted in exFAT. I have the game installed from my own personal copy and the play disc is inserted when I attempt the dump and the game is running at the main menu. Firmware version is 7.55.

I am a total beginner at jailbreaking and I only did it so I can access the debug menu. If you would have asked me about jailbreaking three weeks ago I I wouldn't have known anything. I would greatly appreciate any expertise from any of you - this would mean so much to me.

Thank you.

arfgh

Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
^^ maybe is the case of some other game, where you have to install the other language files to reach the complete installation status. I remember that t here are other games that reach that point, and you can not dump them until you dont reach the complete installation status....

Reactions: Blue00

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you to all who tried to helped. Somehow, I don't know how, I managed to dump the game, got the app and patch folders even though there was no patch and the complete file indicated that everything went well. I do get this message now

format of the elf file is not valid. eboot.bin, already stripped, which must not be stripped

I've been told that this warning is normal, however, the process just stops here so I cannot build the fake pkg. If I look into the folder where this is supposed to be outputted, I have a file name but it is 0 bytes...

I'm just at a loss...

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you to all who tried to helped. Somehow, I don't know how, I managed to dump the game, got the app and patch folders even though there was no patch and the complete file indicated that everything went well. I do get this message now

format of the elf file is not valid. eboot.bin, already stripped, which must not be stripped

I've been told that this warning is normal, however, the process just stops here so I cannot build the fake pkg. If I look into the folder where this is supposed to be outputted, I have a file name but it is 0 bytes...

I'm just at a loss...

that warning is normal. warnings are fine; errors are not.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right but this is the issue....the process just stops here following this warning and it does not continue leaving me with not knowing what to do.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you sure it's stopped? I don't know how many files are in that game, but the game is quite large. sometimes it takes a while to go up to the next percentage depending. bloodborne takes over an hour to build as a package for me. it really depends on the speed of your pc more than anything else.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
... !!! Could this be it - could it be that it just builds and I just think it stopped? And I don't have a strong PC. I will run this orbis command again - and wait...but how long should I wait?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait at least an hour. the game is like 90GBs as a pkg. I've tried liborbispkg as well, but it doesn't seem to compress the pkg. maybe in a later update....

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godreborn you are truly a god reborn. That was it! The process was working, a putz like me just thought that it froze. It just ended, interestingly the package is around 73GB and it took a bit under two hours. This is where I think people like Modded Warfare who do excellent work explaining these processes ought to offer a bit more detail in the time it takes at dumping and repacking these files for newbies like me who don't have the "sense of time" it takes for these things to complete. I had a similar confusion when the game was being dumped, it took a few hours and there were no messages popping in, I was just sitting and praying that it worked. It's also true that I had issues initially with writing to the USB but still...

Let's hope that the package works and that I can access the debug menu once I've done the necessary modifications. So close...

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the notifications on the ps4, telling you how much has been dumped, you can alter how often it appears in the dumper.cfg file. it's set at every 60 seconds by default.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I left that at the default in the dumper file, but once the dumping started I did not get any message at all for the entire time. I think it is glitchy as it has been pointed out. Funnily, when I had that error

Waiting for application to copy
91% complete...

mentioned in my original post, the message was being delivered every 60 seconds, but it was always the same message and the same percentage and I don't think that anything was written to the USB.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am for identifying and pinpointing the issue.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it sometimes does that if there's a lot of files. I've seen it happen to me. it's still working, just dumping a lot of small files probably. you'll know when it's done, because the system will shut off, so it doesn't have to be monitored.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah. Or if the game is big. This is something that I was not thinking about. Dumping took a long time because the game is huge. Rebuilding the fake package took a long time because the game is huge. The game came on two double layered Blu-rays. The dumped CUSA folder for the game is 110GB.

I hope you stick around godreborn in case something else goes wrong as I will attempt to get to the debug menu. You saved my life.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have a 128GB flash drive for dumping games. I wasn't sure if the last of us 2 would be too large or not (maybe if it had had patches that were dumpable). the fact that games come as full packages makes changing things annoying. I think the amount of time it takes to dump and make a pkg is why most people never bothered with their own collections, opted instead just to download their games. I dumped my entire collection, but I think the largest game was only 35GBs or so. I have 13 games.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes TLOU2 is definitely one of the larger games. It was the draw of the luck for me. Of course if a game is 25 GB the whole process will take less time.

I forgot to mention that when I read your post, and you mentioned that it takes time for orbis-pub-cmd to create the package I decided to try again this time from a backup of the dump that I had copied to an external 5GB drive. Once the process started and it appeared to be stuck, I noticed that the light of the external hard drive was flashing as if, you know, stuff was writing to it. That is when I realized that the process was actually working and I just had to sit and wait, just as I had to wait for the dump to complete. I could not tell that with the flash drive since mine does not have a light. And you mentioned that Bloodborne took an hour and that game is smaller in size than this one.

As for TLOU2, I want to create the fake package of the unpatched v.1.00 version of the game that I extracted from my discs so for me there was no patch folder. It does make things faster too.

I noted your somewhat small collection of titles. I too, have a fairy small number of games, I am very picky and do not purchase titles all the times. I only look for the best and this may be a good thing for the wallet. There are years where I may buy only one game or none at all. The only title that I purchased last year for instance, was TLOU2.

The PS4 definitely put out some of the best games I have ever played, and I have been gaming since the 90s. I remember playing Sierra adventure games like King's Quest and Space Quest on my dad's 386 PC and getting the new Commander Keen Goodbye Galaxy as a shareware disk. Those are memories that I would not trade for anything.

Are you a collector by any chance?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my flash drive doesn't have an activity light either, so I mostly rely on the shutdown (the longest time it took was probably final fantasy x/x-2 remastered)..

I've been collecting some games for the retron 3 hd. I bought several of my childhood favorites. I think the most expensive was dragon view at around $25. I would collect some games by pirating them, but after losing two hdds, I decided that it wasn't worth downloading tons of content unless I could back it up. I have about 3TBs of ps4 games on a 5TB external hdd. however, I have the packages backed up 4 times on 4 different 10TB hdds.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes for a collector like me, owning the original is a foundation. This is why I hope that the day when boxed games cease to be never comes - it's like an art lover preferring an original canvas over a reproduced copy. For me, owning the game as it was released, is part of the joy of collecting and experiencing games.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went all digital with the switch mostly do to me having the shakes. my doctor thought I had Parkinson's disease. I was afraid of dropping the system when swapping cartridges or dropping the cartridge behind my entertainment center, where it would be lost. I have 146 games with all dlc for all of them, and I still have 143GBs left of the 1TB micro sd. I was all digital with the wii u as well, but most everything else was pirated. I don't really have the room to keep tons of cases or boxes either. I'd prefer retail, but those are the reasons I don't buy them.

Blue00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course everyone has their reasons for their choices, and medical reasons are perhaps the most valid. The convenience thing and storage has never been an issue for me. The future that I dread is one where ownership is no longer mine and I have to depend on a multinational company to keep the game on their servers and not take it away from me. Which will eventually happen to all downloadable games. Or have single player games that require an internet connection like the company of that no-neck guy.

I also don't want to live in a future where I come home, open the door and there are no bookshelves because all books an in my latest Bezos device, and of course no DVD's or Blu-rays because all movies and TV shows are on my phone (and we all know that phones are the best way to view moving pictures, yes sarcasm), and no posters or art since all those are my wallpapers on my multiple devices so the only thing in my home is a toilet, a bathtub, a sink, a table and a fruit bowl in the middle. Against this scary future, I will gladly clutter my home with stuff and watch each individual grain of dust deposit on them :)

But I've been called crazy before...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gfuel.com/products/goth-gf-collectors-box?utm_source=Klaviyo_campaign&utm_medium=email&ut...