*Cancelled* Project Sweat

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Like what?

Like what? I have zero faith in Kickstarter, too many things go one there with too little results, far too little of projects seem to succeed from it, and some companies have started abusing it. Then you have shit like Tropes vs. Women in Video Games, which made stupid amounts of money on it, only for the two videos to come out of it to be full of incorrect bullshit, be the same quality as her previous videos, and still have comments and ratings disabled.

Reactions: ggyo

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They still had a lot of time left, but the project was still cancelled. No reason given yet.

Because they only managed to raise a twentieth of their total goal and the Kickstarter was an absolute joke? Seems kind of obvious, really.

A shame since I thought they had a chance to make the main goal.

Come on, man. I don't have a sense of smell and even I could tell that this was a stinker.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have zero faith in Kickstarter
So, we just ignore the good that comes from it?

"Far too little of projects seem to succeed"
Source or are you just saying that from you experience?

Because they only managed to raise a twentieth of their total goal and the Kickstarter was an absolute joke? Seems kind of obvious, really.
They had ~24 days left. I seen Kickstarters that make come backs in terms of funding.

"Absolute joke" because you were having a cow over their English skills?

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't even like Muramasa and the Demon Blade for Wii, no way in Hell I would play this, much less fork over some money to kickstart a project I won't even play.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They had ~24 days left. I seen Kickstarters that make come backs in terms of funding.

If a project can only raise 5% of its budget in the opening stretch (which is usually the time where Kickstarters make the majority of their money), yeah, its prospects are beyond abysmal.

This project needed more than a comeback - it needed a miracle. Even the project starters, it seems, had the good sense to realize that interest and funding wasn't just going to materialize by divine providence.

"Absolute joke" because you were having a cow over their English skills?

You seem to get your hopes up so much for pipe dream projects like this that you let yourself become completely blind to their many, many faults. Wanting it to be something it wasn't isn't going to bend the fabric of space and time and make it so.

The presentation, from the video itself to, yes, the myriad of grammatical errors (Yeah, it matters. If your grammar is so consistently poor, how are any investors supposed to take you seriously?) was embarrassingly amateur. It did little to capture people's attention or hook them in any way. As for the game itself, all they had to show was... a backdrop, some animations, and a single character cutting rocks. They seriously expected that alone would convince people to throw 25,000 Euros (or more) at their feet.

Not to mention the whole "We quit our jobs for this!" bit. Making an impulsive, utterly idiotic decision and seriously expecting the internet to support you along the way? Yeah, pretty bad.

Hopefully this fiasco has served as a good wake up call for these guys. If they can get their act together and produce a Kickstarter actually worth supporting (begging their former bosses for forgiveness wouldn't hurt, either), maybe they'll have better luck next time.

Reactions: Rydian

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like I said earlier, the authors of the project were in way over their heads and must've realized that when whatever budget they had quickly evaporated. Indie developers need to understand that unless they have a product that's almost ready and is sure to sell, they should not quit their jobs and pursue a dream that may or may not be fulfilled. Don't quit your day job when you don't have any other means of supporting yourself - that's a rule that applies to everyone, not just game developers.

Reactions: Gahars

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If a project can only raise 5% of its budget in the opening stretch (which is usually the time where Kickstarters make the majority of their money), yeah, its prospects are beyond abysmal.

This project needed more than a comeback - it needed a miracle. Even the project starters, it seems, had the good sense to realize that interest and funding wasn't just going to materialize by divine providence.

You seem to get your hopes up so much for pipe dream projects like this that you let yourself become completely blind to their many, many faults. Wanting it to be something it wasn't isn't going to bend the fabric of space and time and make it so.

The presentation, from the video itself to, yes, the myriad of grammatical errors (Yeah, it matters. If your grammar is so consistently poor, how are any investors supposed to take you seriously?) was embarrassingly amateur. It did little to capture people's attention or hook them in any way. As for the game itself, all they had to show was... a backdrop, some animations, and a single character cutting rocks. They seriously expected that alone would convince people to throw 25,000 Euros (or more) at their feet.

Not to mention the whole "We quit our jobs for this!" bit. Making an impulsive, utterly idiotic decision and seriously expecting the internet to support you along the way? Yeah, pretty bad.

Hopefully this fiasco has served as a good wake up call for these guys. If they can get their act together and produce a Kickstarter actually worth supporting (begging their former bosses for forgiveness wouldn't hurt, either), maybe they'll have better luck next time.

To be honest they need to do something different. In the past few years we've seen some pretty pathetic platformers arise, from both indie and professionals alike.

If they want to continue a platformer game then at least have the audacity to implement some decent little gimmicks. No one wants to hack/slash at rocks and trees all damn day just to gain EXP. Nor do they want to perform the most basic combat "skills" throughout the entire game. Nor do I expect them to overcome that by doing what Muramasa did and make it so that different swords give you different combat abilities and tricks. No. Just no.

All I'm saying is do something differen't, preferebly something no one has seen before. Why would someone spend money on a project that has been done countless of times.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fine, you win. :/

They obviously plan to add more than that.

I'm sure they do. My point is that no one wants to hack/slash through the whole damn game. It's boring. I'd be interested if they could implement something where you upgrade combos and change your fighting style.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
"We have decided to close the Kickstarter for Project Sweat to deal with some personal issues that have arisen;Don't worry - The game is still being developed =]
A message has been sent out to all backers as we plan to repay your support for pledging. We will continue to update our Facebook page & Twitter, and may return to crowdfunding to offer rewards and discounts." That comes from the Humid Games website

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup