Homebrew Can you use slot1 flashcard cheat app on a GBA game in slot2?

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I want to play around with a few GBA games but then I got thinking: 'Why shell out for an Action Replay or whatever IF I can use a homebrew cheat app on my Flashcard that's in my DS slot 1, so that I can mess around with a GBA game that's in slot 2?'.

Is this possible at all?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you enter GBA mode, everything gets cleared out of memory, so any codes you loaded would be lost. Really the only thing that remains is the ability to put a small border around the GBA picture.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm pretty sure you can use some software to add the cheats to the GBA ROM file as a trainer, though I don't remember how. Alternatively, you could just use the PC to cheat if its just short term.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sorry guys, I need to explain: it's a genuine retail version cartridge that I have in slot 2 that I want to cheat on. No GBA ROMs or emulators.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
SG said:
Sorry guys, I need to explain: it's a genuine retail version cartridge that I have in slot 2 that I want to cheat on. No GBA ROMs or emulators.

And you had your answer in the second post...
QUOTE(DanTheManMS @ Mar 18 2011, 09:41 AM) Once you enter GBA mode, everything gets cleared out of memory, so any codes you loaded would be lost. Really the only thing that remains is the ability to put a small border around the GBA picture.

GBA mode is GBA mode, regardless if you have a slot2 flashcart or a legitimate cart.

avenir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
short answer:
why slot1 can cheat GBA game with slot2 memory is because slot1 loads patched image to slot2 memory.
slot2 retail cart is ROM, so cannot be patched.

You can use slot2 memory like EZ3in1 or M3Ext.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Dump your save, use PC emulator to cheat, restore save. There is some GBA save backup tool, just need to run it with the GBA game in at the time. I've used it in a couple of my GBA games.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah right I see, sorry I was a bit slow on that, jurassic. Well, thanks guys - if I need a device to capture the ROM I may as well just spend it on a cheat device anyway.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
You have a slot 1 card and a older Slot 2 DS? Thats all you need to back up your GBA games and saves. Since I actually have my flash cart in front of me this time, I checked the name of the software to find it for you.

http://filetrip.net/f3228-GBA-Backup-Tool-0-21.html

Have that on your Slot 1 flash cart and a GBA game in slot 2. Run it, back up your save and ROM, use that in an emulator to cheat, then save when you have what you want. Then you just put it back on the card with the same software.

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Visual boy advance or vba-m. Visual boy advance is the most well-known gba emulator and it is therefore well-documented because everybody used it, however it might cause problems with 64-bit computers, because the screens hang sometimes. Also note that visual boy advance hasn't been updated for a long while.

VBA-M is a modified version of visual boy advance and has some new features like 64-bit support and link support (on the same computer as well as over lan). It is updated every once in a while and it is also on scourceforge. Both emulators support cheats, both vba and vba-m can also search for variables that changed during gameplay to create cheats. E.g. you collect a coin in mario brothers, you look at which value changed. If you change that value to 99 and you will get a one-up every time you collect a coin.

SG

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thank you - interesting, I always wondered how people created cheats.

But anyway, I thought that the emulator was to use on the DS flashcart ,not a PC emu? :s

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
There are two options for playing GBA ROMs on a DS.

- Slot 2 flash cart on a DS Lite
- Supercard DSTwo flash card

Alone, the DS can't emulate GBA games. The Supercard DSTwo has extra hardware to help, and the Slot 2 card boots the system in GBA mode to access hardware that is disabled in DS mode.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
possibly stupid brainstorm thought here--

What about some sort of homebrew that would add the cheats to the rom file directly on the card itself, so you don't have to go onto the comp every time you wanted to play around with gba cheats? Would that be possible?

Obviously the OP's question of adding cheats to a physical gba cart is impossible nonsense, but I don't see why there can't be some sort of homebrew to attach the cheats to the roms on your memory card prior to them being loaded...

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm... That could almost certainly be done. IIRC, that's what happens with DS rom patching on most kernals.

However, it might be difficult to find someone with both the interest and the motivation to make that.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
so i can dump a rom + save using only a flash cart on slot 1 for ds and a real gba cart?
biggrin.gif

could anyone explain this to me?

anyone caring to help me please? >.

DeltaBladeX

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
choconado said:
possibly stupid brainstorm thought here--

What about some sort of homebrew that would add the cheats to the rom file directly on the card itself, so you don't have to go onto the comp every time you wanted to play around with gba cheats? Would that be possible?

Obviously the OP's question of adding cheats to a physical gba cart is impossible nonsense, but I don't see why there can't be some sort of homebrew to attach the cheats to the roms on your memory card prior to them being loaded...
Yes, the type of software to do that already exists, I mentioned doing that in my original post before I knew the topic creator was meaning a commercial cart. It will add a trainer to the ROM. Just don't ask me for the name of the software to do this, I've never used it, only heard of it.

QUOTE(MaxNuker @ Apr 23 2011, 02:47 AM) so i can dump a rom + save using only a flash cart on slot 1 for ds and a real gba cart?
biggrin.gif

could anyone explain this to me?

anyone caring to help me please? >.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
YoshiInAVoid said:
I know this is way offtopic, but is there a DS homebrew that alows you to dump DS ROM's? I know about eepinator for saves, but to to dump ROM's is there a program?
Yup, there are some:
- NDS Backup Tool WiFi
- NDS Backup Tool 3in1
- NDS Backup Tool Slot 2
- Wood Dumper Wifi (latest one Wood_Dumper_WIFI_r72_WORLD_READNFO_iNTERNAL_NDS-iND)
- Wood Dumper Slot 2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol