Can you name a sequel or successor that's basically superior to the original?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Lets just say both P3 and P4 are better than the first two.
I enjoyed P4 way more than P3. P3 took itself a little too seriously, making the school life feel forced. P4 had a nicer mix to it, feeling more fleshed out and believable, as well there school sections were still enjoyable and important to the story.

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can name a few:

1.) Mass Effect 2 (to Mass Effect)

First one, and you're wrong out of the gate. :P

Anyway, if you go by initial US release, Final Fantasy II was better than the first one in most ways, but that might not be fair since it was actually the 3rd sequel.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Last Blade 2, at least imo.
Good sir, you are right on everything about that game.
The jump from 1 to 2 is notorious, the game got even more detailed and the backgrounds are alive. Is a shame little to no one know those games.

Lets just say both P3 and P4 are better than the first two.
I enjoyed P4 way more than P3. P3 took itself a little too seriously, making the school life feel forced. P4 had a nicer mix to it, feeling more fleshed out and believable, as well there school sections were still enjoyable and important to the story.
Persona 4 is like scooby doo made a rpg, the story get serious too late, the power of friendship makes the game feel like a little girl tv show and don't remind me of Teddie.
Persona 3 story can seem pretty straightforward at first but the plot twists make it change and get really good.
If we talk about combat then is kind of a tie. Persona 4 simplified thing too much (physical damage got a big cut. in 3 there are pierce, slash and strike damage, in 4 there isn't any kind is only physical) and buffed almighty skills almost outclassing normal skills but added nice things like better strategies for your allies and total control of them (t-thanks for casting marin karin Mitsuru. but let's be honest, she is the only one with a bad AI). If we consider Persona 3 Portable then this is completely invalid and 3 wins again. In P3P you got the 3 kinds of physical damage and the strategies.

But don't get me wrong. Persona 4 is still a great game, just not as great as 3.

Last edited by Sakitoshi,
Reactions: GaaraPrime

Pienkaito

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat 2
Streets of Rage 2
Sonic The Hedgehog 2
Super Mario Land 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Mario Strikers: Charged Football
Super Mario Brothers (If you count Mario Brothers as a prequel)
Earthbound
Mega Man 2
Mega Man Battle Network 2
No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle
Dead Rising 2 (Kinda, I found it quite nice)
Sonic Allstars Racing Transformed
Bayonetta 2

Well, here are a few.

mustafag32g

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
spyro gateway to glimmer was way better than spyro the dragon. It had better and varied gameplay and at the same time a good story with feelings involved :D

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Good sir, you are right on everything about that game.
The jump from 1 to 2 is notorious, the game got even more detailed and the backgrounds are alive. Is a shame little to no one know those games.

Persona 4 is like scooby doo made a rpg, the story get serious too late, the power of friendship makes the game feel like a little girl tv show and don't remind me of Teddie.
Persona 3 story can seem pretty straightforward at first but the plot twists make it change and get really good.
If we talk about combat then is kind of a tie. Persona 4 simplified thing too much (physical damage got a big cut. in 3 there are pierce, slash and strike damage, in 4 there isn't any kind is only physical) and buffed almighty skills almost outclassing normal skills but added nice things like better strategies for your allies and total control of them (t-thanks for casting marin karin Mitsuru. but let's be honest, she is the only one with a bad AI). If we consider Persona 3 Portable then this is completely invalid and 3 wins again. In P3P you got the 3 kinds of physical damage and the strategies.

But don't get me wrong. Persona 4 is still a great game, just not as great as 3.
My one real problem with P3, is that it took itself a little too seriously. Like everything seemed more tactical and almost military like. I liked the ragtag group from P4 because they weren't a planned group, they were just kids who got in over their heads. P3 they were a specialized group of people, they knew what they were in for, with the exception of yourself.
Basically I found the group in P3 to be a little less relatable compared to P4. It's not that they are bad group, but it felt like they were already ahead in the game and were just catching up.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Tomodachi Life (To Tomodachi Collection)
Animal Crossing: New Leaf (To Animal Crossing: City Folk)
Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (To Jazz Jackrabbit)
Halo 2 (To Halo: Combat Evolved (Talking about the console versions, of course)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (To Super Smash Bros. Melee)

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't know if anyone mentioned it before....

Almost EVERY GTA (Grand Theft Auto) title bests its predecessor.

GTA San Andreas (to GTA Vice City) (PS2)
GTA IV (to GTA San Andreas) (Xbox 360/PC)
GTA V (to GTA IV) (Xbox 360/PC)

Each and every one of the above was better than it's predecessor :)

Also,

God of War 3 (to God of War 1/2) (from PS2 to PS3)
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (better than Sly 2: Band of Thieves) (PS2)
MediEvil 2 (better than MediEvil 2) (PSOne)

Last edited by GaaraPrime,

jDSX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA IV (to GTA San Andreas) (Xbox 360/PC)

Each and every one of the above was better than it's predecessor :)

Are you kidding me? SA had more of everything that GTA IV didn't (not including dlcs) for example look at post game content, barely there in IV yet gta before always had extra missions (and I am not talking about hanging out for darts either) plenty to do after the main storyline which IV lacked.

Reactions: GaaraPrime

GaaraPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
India
Are you kidding me? SA had more of everything that GTA IV didn't (not including dlcs) for example look at post game content, barely there in IV yet gta before always had extra missions (and I am not talking about hanging out for darts either) plenty to do after the main storyline which IV lacked.

I agree the story and the scale of the city was bigger in SA, but GTA IV was definitely superior in the graphics department :D At that time, it looked like a technological marvel and such a BIG STEP UP compared to SA. It was just so gorgeous :D

And I totally agree with you. Once I finished the story, there was literally nothing else left to do that was remotely interesting :P

Reactions: jDSX

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Bravely Second. Only downside I can think of is the new music compared to the original (and the censoring but that's not in the JP version), but it fixes the infamous second half/last third of the first game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.