Hardware Can you help a Dad out? Buying a handheld console

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I mean the actual folder on the SD card.

I think they are in:

Nintendo 3DS\6642d7a6d18bede6b3a5bd843a7c08ad\0ab6010a440000004150505300003000\title

This seems to be the largest folder.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Curious and wondering if I can use the desktop app Wii U USB Helper to transfer 3DS titles to the SD card.
Wii U Helper is specifically for the Wii U. You cannot use it on the 3DS. Hell, that's the entire reason it has Wii U in the name!

Reactions: cw-kid

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There is the option to add the ticket URL for 3DS in to the desktop app but then I cannot see any 3DS titles appear in its library.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wiiu-HELPER.png

There are some tick boxes for Legit / CFW / Previews

Only Legit was selected, also ticking CFW now there are some 3DS games showing up, but only 5 game titles are listed for some reason.

Maybe this is a new feature of the desktop app for 3DS etc.

In the filters they are all selected for the various different game platforms.

I added /downloadenc to the end of the URL and in the filters tab, I just selected ones that have 3DS in their names and now its showing 473 game titles so it seems to be working now.

So you can download 3DS titles in the Wii U USB Helper desktop app!

Last edited by cw-kid,
Reactions: Kleyon

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep 3DS games from WiiU USB Helper can be used on an hacked 3DS. Once you downloaded it, you'll need to right click on it and select option to make a CIA file. But I must say we experienced some weird issues here, where some games won't work when FreeShop versions will... Just no sense, Hikari06 himself didn't experienced this kind of issue.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep 3DS games from WiiU USB Helper can be used on an hacked 3DS. Once you downloaded it, you'll need to right click on it and select option to make a CIA file. But I must say we experienced some weird issues here, where some games won't work when FreeShop versions will... Just no sense, Hikari06 himself didn't experienced this kind of issue.

That's a shame then. I thought it might be easier to do it on the desktop and manage the collection there and then just transfer them to the SD card for the 3DS etc.

Plus the downloads would be faster on the wired LAN vs the WIFI on the 3DS console.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I told him about those issues, he really tried but not succeeded in reproducing it, just a mystery this far. Maybe games will just work fine for you (just like Hikari06). And for information we experienced issues on an O3DS XL Boot9Strap v1.2 & Luma3DS v8.1 updated to 11.4 (once hack has been installed)... well 90% users are using this I think :rofl: So really no idea, you just need to try.

Last edited by Kleyon,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Once you have downloaded a title in Wii U USB Helper, in the "Downloaded" section of the library, you can right click the title and there is an option on the menu to Pack to CIA (3DS)

Then copied the .cia file to a CIA named folder on the root of the SD card.

However looking in FBI on the 3DS selecting the SD card and then going in to the CIA folder and then selecting the .cia file, there is no option to install it.

So not sure how I install .cia files I have placed on the SD Card ?

Thanks.

Seems I have these two options missing, this image was taken off a Youtube video.

Wiiu-HELPER2.png

Last edited by cw-kid,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OK just gone and bought a new genuine 32GB Sandisk SD card from a retail store.

Now the .cia files generated by Wii U USB Helper on the SD card are installing OK via FBI.

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

@Kleyon

Were there any particular game titles that didn't work when using Wii U USB Helper to pack the cia files ?

I have done a few so far this way and they are working.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
to prevent your daughter from accidentally doing stuff, i'd advise you to create a Folder and put all the non-game tiles into that (like, system settings, fbi, luma updater etc). then, in that folder, put all of them to the very end of the folder and make sure to scroll back to the empty front of the folder. finally, move that folder to the very end of the homescreen. thats about as hidden away as you can do it.

as for cias. if your wifi connection is wonky on the 3ds, freeshop might run into problems with the bigger games.
for these cases, you might just want to take a look at google "that iso site" and get the cias to install from there

Last edited by Clydefrosch,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I turned on parental controls as previously recommended. Now when I go in to FBI, HB Launcher or Luma3DS, freeShop etc it asks for a pin number.

So this should stop any tinkering in the wrong areas.

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Kleyon

Were there any particular game titles that didn't work when using Wii U USB Helper to pack the cia files ?

I have done a few so far this way and they are working.

Issue was when launching games, not when packing it to CIA nor when installing it, games concerned were for example : Final Fantasy Explorers, Dragon Quest VII & VIII, Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden, for what I remember. We tried only EUR games so I can't say if it will happens with another region game, plus like I said, even with EUR games, Hikari06 couldn't reproduce issue.

I told you, maybe you will not encounter issues, I'm glad it's the case ! :)

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Issue was when launching games, not when packing it to CIA nor when installing it, games concerned were for example : Final Fantasy Explorers, Dragon Quest VII & VIII, Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden, for what I remember. We tried only EUR games so I can't say if it will happens with another region game, plus like I said, even with EUR games, Hikari06 couldn't reproduce issue.

I told you, maybe you will not encounter issues, I'm glad it's the case ! :)

I've not tried any of the titles you mention.

However there is one that does not launch and you just get black screens.

Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits

All others so far are launching OK. They are also all Euro titles.

So can you also install DLC if its available for a title?

This Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits game was the only one I think that also had DLC and I installed that also.

Thanks

SuperDan

Im Aware ... Im Unaware
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought my kids 2 NDS XL last xmas ,. they never touched them even after a true headache of hacking them ... & The 3D part hurt my eyes ... after a while ... a year later they still dont touch them ever .. " Gutted " but they like android games these days ... so i got the oldest a nvidia shield portable and the youngest a PS Vita

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've not tried any of the titles you mention.

However there is one that does not launch and you just get black screens.

Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits

All others so far are launching OK. They are also all Euro titles.

So can you also install DLC if its available for a title?

This Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits game was the only one I think that also had DLC and I installed that also.

Thanks

This one was creating issue for me too. Yes you can simply download DLC and update then make CIA files just like for games.

I wasn't having a black screen but a ARM11 crash one. For these games you will need another source (or download it on FreeShop and make CIA using GodMode9 but yeah it's a way slower on FreeShop.)

Edit : maybe you can report it to Hikari06 on his WiiU USB Helper thread, at least he'll know I'm not the only one having this issue.

Last edited by Kleyon,

cw-kid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@Kleyon

Tried installing some of the same games as you, from the Wii U USB Helper program and packing them to .cia files etc.

Dragon Quest VII Fragments of the Forgotten Past - WORKS OK
Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden - WORKS OK

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I really can't understand like I told ! Even more if one of them gave you an error when others works fine !

At least one is concerned, like I said, maybe report it to Hikari06 :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ