Hacking can you defrag a WBFS hdd?

AllWiidUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
vettacossx said:
So just a curiosity but would it hurt or can i defrag my western digital book? will it help keep my drive in check? does it even need to be done? thanks guys...

I'm not sure if someone wrote a defrag yet, but it's relatively simple. It has to be part of libwbfs or one of the tools, windows/linux defrag utils won't work as they don't understand wbfs.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks!....Ill be patient then thanks for the info
smile.gif

mmik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I heard there was no way, and that's why you don't want to delete any games you've installed. It'll screw up a bunch of your games the next time you install one.

Darkzero51521

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Defrag is a windows thing. Theres no defrag for Mac or Linux. Defrag's are just needed for windows, i highly doubt it'd be needed in WBFS.

mmik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very much needed. If you delete a game, it leaves a space where the game was. If you try to install a game that's bigger than that empty space, it'll overwite some of the next game on the HDD.

jwcgator

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the problem with deleting games was some incorrect code in the source code for libwbfs. From what I understood, when it deleted a game it deleted the game + 1 byte or block or something, essentially screwing up the game that came after it on the Hard Drive. It's fixed in WBFS Manager 2.2 and USB loader 1.4

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Yeah that sounds about right, I think.

WBFS doesn't fragment its files, so there is no way to defrag it. What people are speaking of (the free space gaps) would be corrected with a compactor, not a defragger.

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So forgive me for asking the obvious, but say we formatted the HDD back during 1.1 or so, if have the latest loader is it now safe to remove games?

dodol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^if you didn't delete any of your games during 1.1->1.3, you don't even need to perform anythings. the problem is with delete function not format function.

ajd4096

Trophies
XP
Country
Darkzero51521 said:
Defrag is a windows thing. Theres no defrag for Mac or Linux. Defrag's are just needed for windows, i highly doubt it'd be needed in WBFS.
Defrag ain't just a windows thang.

ext/ffs based file systems do suffer from defragmentation, just not as much as FAT.
There are defrag tools available, but it is usually faster/safer just to dump/restore.

WBFS does not (currently) fragment files per se, but can end up with fragmented free space if you were to repeatedly add/delete games.

I expect there will be some sort of cleanup tool available sooner or later; I also expect the loader to be modified to use other file-systems.
I am not taking bets as to which happens first.

raptor5001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, well let's say that defrag is a Windows problem then. Defragging programs for Mac or Linux do exist, but they are near useless, because if you have fragmentation on your HFS+ or ext2/3 drive, it means it's close to being full. Because of the way those filesystems work, they only fragment files when absolutely necessary, which makes the results of defragging them unnoticeable. Defragging ext2/3 or HFS+ could arguably actually hurt performance in several ways. It's best to just let those filesystems do their job, haha. For a quick primer, check out this: http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php...d_defragmenting

antiaverage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raptor5001 said:
Okay, well let's say that defrag is a Windows problem then. Defragging programs for Mac or Linux do exist, but they are near useless, because if you have fragmentation on your HFS+ or ext2/3 drive, it means it's close to being full. Because of the way those filesystems work, they only fragment files when absolutely necessary, which makes the results of defragging them unnoticeable. Defragging ext2/3 or HFS+ could arguably actually hurt performance in several ways. It's best to just let those filesystems do their job, haha. For a quick primer, check out this: http://geekblog.oneandoneis2.org/index.php...d_defragmenting

For Mac fragmentation info:
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter12/hf...gmentation.html

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly