Homebrew Can you connect GBA games on a 3DS to a GameCube game on a Wii/Wii U?

QuestionEmulation

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As we know we can
Play GBA games on the 3DS.
Play GameCube games on the Wii/Wii

Anyway with said emulators they can connect like the GameCube - Game Boy Advance link cable except wirelessly like how the 3DS and Wii connects?

Reactions: Moon164

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
That requires very low latency which is not doable (and the builtin GBA hardware has no SIO/link port support anyway). The best you could hope for is an emulator adds this but expect very poor performance because the 2 emulators need to throttle emulation to account for the bad latency.

Reactions: E1ite007 and fmkid

MultipedBeatle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't, at least currently (if it's even possible), afaik
Would it be possible to use the 3.5 mm jack to transmit the data? The only issue I see with that is receiving the data unless there's a way to allow receiving of data via software

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That would be really cool to see.

But we can’t even connect a DS/3DS to a game like Mario Kart DS on the Wii U’s Virtual Console (and the Wii U can connect to the 3DS or DS without problems, the Mii Channel and some games as Final Fantasy and My Ranch Pokémon prove it), I doubt it was possible for GBA games.

MultipedBeatle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be really cool to see.

But we can’t even connect a DS/3DS to a game like Mario Kart DS on the Wii U’s Virtual Console (and the Wii U can connect to the 3DS or DS without problems, the Mii Channel and some games as Final Fantasy and My Ranch Pokémon prove it), I doubt it was possible for GBA games.
The original thread was if we could use the 3DS's emulation of GBA games as a way to bypass a GBA and it's Link Cable. If there was a way to emulate that feature, wirelessly or wired with the headphone jack like I said, would be cool. The only issue is that the most realistic option is using the original Wii with a "clone" of the 3DS software to transmit and receive the Link Cable data. Maybe, if there was a way to send/receive data via the Sensor Bar, wireless communication could be used.

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The original thread was if we could use the 3DS's emulation of GBA games as a way to bypass a GBA and it's Link Cable. If there was a way to emulate that feature, wirelessly or wired with the headphone jack like I said, would be cool. The only issue is that the most realistic option is using the original Wii with a "clone" of the 3DS software to transmit and receive the Link Cable data. Maybe, if there was a way to send/receive data via the Sensor Bar, wireless communication could be used.
The Sensor Bar is an infrared light.
That's all. It's not a computational device at all. The Wiimote handles all the tracking data.

Reactions: fmkid

VictorMoreno015

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you can not. The GBA VC mode on the 3DS is actually running on the built-in DS mode firmware that is used when you play DS games on your 3DS, not on the 3DS firmware. The DS Lite (which was the latest DS that could play GBA cartriges) was not capable of connecting with a GBA to GameCube Link Cable and no wireless version was ever made for it. So what you are asking for is impossible. You would need special homebrew on the 3DS and a special build of Nintendont that has support for wireless connection to a 3DS specifically made for both consoles just to do this.
You can however, dump the save of your desired game and restore the save file onto a actual GBA cart and then use the link cable on a actual GBA and GameCube/Wii.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
@VictorMoreno015
That's not exactly how it works. GBA games run under native GBA hardware which is actually 1:1 the same design used on DS so the SIO/link port is stubbed in hardware. There are ways to get the data over to the 3DS side but as mentioned earlier latency is way too high for link cable "emulation". Heck even USB 2.0 is too slow and it's pretty damn fast already. The best you can hope for is wireless adapter support since that's designed with latency in mind. Not without some ueavy patching though.

QuestionEmulation

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@VictorMoreno015
That's not exactly how it works. GBA games run under native GBA hardware which is actually 1:1 the same design used on DS so the SIO/link port is stubbed in hardware. There are ways to get the data over to the 3DS side but as mentioned earlier latency is way too high for link cable "emulation". Heck even USB 2.0 is too slow and it's pretty damn fast already. The best you can hope for is wireless adapter support since that's designed with latency in mind. Not without some ueavy patching though.

What type of patching do you think may need to be in mind to make the wireless adapter support possible?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hmm... This makes me think... You know the wireless GBA link devices that came with I think the gen 3 Pokemon games? Well the Gamecube could use the GB Player and a GBA connected to the Gamecube to be the controller. Is there any way to make it so that instead of the cable, you just use the wireless devices in the GBA linkports of the GB Player and the GBA, to have a wireless controller for playing GBA games on the Cube? Would it be possible to modify the transceivers and/or their firmware and/or Swiss/GBI to allow this to work?

Reactions: QuestionEmulation

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car