Can you boot up a Wii with no disc drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by BlueLemming, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BlueLemming
    OP

BlueLemming Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    I'm attempting at making a somewhat portable Wii. I've yet to take my Wii apart as I'm waiting for some tri-wing screwdrivers to arrive in the mail, but I assume the disc drive adds quite a bit of weight. I've already got everything working with my hard drive, so the disc drive isn't even being used. I assume that it adds quite a bit of weight so why not remove it? I just don't know if the Wii will act as normal if it's taken off.

I came across this thread - http://gbatemp.net/threads/wii-project-no-dvd-drive-present-not-loading-from-usb.331568/ . It seems that even some channels won't work if there's no disc drive. Is there a cIOS or something that can make the Wii think that it's still connected?

2. donovan6000

donovan6000 Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2012
    United States
    The wii can start up fine without a disk drive, but trying to run most things will give you an error telling you to restart your wii. A solution to this is to take the motherboard off the disk drive and just keep the its motherboard connected to the wii.

Here's a video on how to separate the dvd drive and its motherboard:

3. BlueLemming
    OP

BlueLemming Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    Awesome, that'll work too! Thanks for the help!

4. rondoh70

rondoh70 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2011
    United States
    new york
    Here is some advice. Don't remove the circuit board. I found this out the hard way, the wii won't load any official software with the circuit board removed.

5. KoopaHax35000vr

KoopaHax35000vr Idk

Jan 24, 2013
    United States
    California
    get homebrew channel and use wiiflow to play games since u dont want to use the disk drive

6. BlueLemming
    OP

BlueLemming Member

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2011
    United States
    Wiiflow is what I currently use and it boots into it when I turn it on. You're saying it'll work perfectly without a disc drive?