Homebrew Can you back up games downloaded from freeshop?

pandabare101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have about 20 games download from the freeshop and I was wondering if there’s a way that I can save them so I always have them. Like if I got a new 3ds and wanted to do a system transfer or if I wanted to switch sd cards how can I ensure I will always have access to those games? Do I have to always have freeshop downloaded to have access to those games?

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have about 20 games download from the freeshop and I was wondering if there’s a way that I can save them so I always have them. Like if I got a new 3ds and wanted to do a system transfer or if I wanted to switch sd cards how can I ensure I will always have access to those games? Do I have to always have freeshop downloaded to have access to those games?
The games themselves will transfer over but you will not see them. You would need to install the game tickets with tikshop or tikdevil before they appear and would be playable. Which requires CFW on the console you are transfering over to.

starburst

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Being able to 'backup' the games downloaded directly from the Nintendo servers is the main reason why I use CIAngel instead of FreeShop.
You see, with CIAngel one can choose to create CIAs off the games it downloads from the Nintendo servers. I then move the desired CIAs to my computer.

This does not exactly apply to your case because you already have those games installed, but you can start creating your 'backup library' today.

Note that recent games require a 'Seed' (it is a sort of token that updates the title database) before being able to run (they either get stuck in the title screen or cause an exception error which forces a restart.) Luckily, FBI can easily fetch these 'Seeds'.
'Seeds' are the one thing that prevents offline-only installation of games.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GodMode9 Usage

Dumping a Title
  1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Hover over the drive applicable to the type of title you wish to dump:
    • User Installed Title: [A:] SYSNAND SD
    • System Title: [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND
  3. Hold (R) and press (A) at the same time to open the drive options
  4. Select “Search for titles”
  5. Press (A) to continue
  6. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Build CIA (standard)”
  7. Your installable .cia formatted file will be outputted to the /gm9/out/folder on your SD card

pandabare101

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GodMode9 Usage

Dumping a Title
  1. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  2. Hover over the drive applicable to the type of title you wish to dump:
    • User Installed Title: [A:] SYSNAND SD
    • System Title: [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND
  3. Hold (R) and press (A) at the same time to open the drive options
  4. Select “Search for titles”
  5. Press (A) to continue
  6. Press (A) on the .tmd file to select it, then select “TMD file options…”, then select “Build CIA (standard)”
  7. Your installable .cia formatted file will be outputted to the /gm9/out/folder on your SD card
So if I want to get a new sd card could I transfer the files? Would the games work that way? I have godmode9 I’m just not Too familiar with cias

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I want to get a new sd card could I transfer the files? Would the games work that way? I have godmode9 I’m just not Too familiar with cias
If you want to backup the games you downloaded, and use it on the same console, just backup your SD contents, if you don't format your system, tikets are still installed on the nand, so the games are still linked.

So you can just copy everything to a bigger sd card and they will appear without issues.

If you use it on another console, which has to be modded, you will need to install the tickets, using tikdevil or any ticket installer.

Reactions: pandabare101

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo