Can Wii U Japan use english interface?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by viago, Apr 12, 2015.

1. viago
    OP

viago Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Dear..

I own a Wii U firmware 5.2.0 J with Japan interface. i wonder if there is any way i can update it to an English firmware or any english interface ?

Thank!

Margen67 likes this.
  2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Wii U consoles are region locked, i.e, European Wii U = European FW / American Wii U = American FW and so on but have you tried looking into the System Settings' languages options?

3. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I can confirm no English language option on the Japanese Wii U, and there's no way to install firmware from a different region.

4. viago
    OP

viago Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Thank you Guys.
    I have no idea about that until the first start. I buy it as a present for my little girl and now i think that the worst idea i have ever had. I should take PS4 instead.

5. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    You won't need to go into the settings very often so that doesn't matter. You will be region locked to Japanese games though, which are almost all in just Japanese.

A Japanese PS4 lets you select any language and is also region free.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    Hopefully that changes once the Wii U exploit is released :yayu:and somebody makes a region free/language changing loader like the one on the 3DS

7. viago
    OP

viago Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    I really hate nintedo for this region lock. I decide to softmode it even i dont speak japanese so if it break, i dont have to look at it anymore :P . The problem is i cant buy japanese game disk (with exploit) in my region :)), so i wonder (if anyone has tried it) use an disk with other region to softmode wii u. I cant find this information anywhere, maybe because it is too obvious. Thank you for any advice.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule

I'm no expert but I can tell you this:
    1. No you can't use a game from another region to softmod since the game needs to boot to access exploit.
    2. Only the Wii part of Wii U can be softmodded (for now) so you can't change to English or make region-free your Wii U for Wii U games or for any Wii U features. You can only make region-free vWii (Wii mode), that is run only Wii games from another region.

9. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Do you have internet access? You could just buy digital versions from the eShop

Wellington2k likes this.
  10. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    So you're saying there's some games in English? Which are they?

Margen67 likes this.
  11. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There is not much you can do on the Wii U side of things.
    You can hack Wii Mode, install a USB loader and your daughter(?) will have plenty of Wii games to play until a Wii U Mode region free hack is released. You can also run GameCube games on it through Nintendont. That should be enough to keep her busy for the next few years.

Margen67 and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  12. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    Just curious, what versions of Wii U do you have avaliable for sale in Vietnam?
    Here we have Japanese and American Wii Us.

13. viago
    OP

viago Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Nintendo doent have any store iin Viet Nam but i can tell you that It is very easy to find any us games.

14. viago
    OP

viago Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Is that true that i can use digital games to shopmode my wii u. It is really help if you could just confirm that information. In any tutorial they r alway use a game disk to make the magic. :D

15. djisgod

djisgod Member

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2015
    earth
    i misread lol

16. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    The WiiU is not hackable to play WiiU games yet.
    All you can hack is the vWii part that only play Wii games and there is no brick protection for vWii yet.
    And your WiiU system menu will still be in Japanese.

17. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I really hope you're trolling
    I just meant for Wii U games, Wii games require disks unless you use a USB loader, but that requires it being hacked first, so see if you can find a Japanese copy of Super Smash Bros Brawl, Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, or Yu-Gi-Oh