Hacking Can someone explain SigHax for a (half)noob?

jengablock15

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: Solved, only needed some more lurking...

Hey, so yeah I got my 3ds pimped up and this was around the whole soundhax and fasthax business. I've lurked around a few threads on sighax but I still can't wrap it around my head.

Can someone please explain it in a noob-friendly manner for all of us. Make a new thread and link it if you can but if at least the casual community can get some information it would be very great.

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by jengablock15,
D

Deleted User

All you really need to know is its going to be the a9lh replacement once its released.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The (still not publicly dumped) arm9 bootrom contains code to verify the signature on the NCSD nand header (partition table) and kernel partitions.

A "bug" in said code makes a fake signature easy to bruteforce; not as easy as Trucha bug of the Wii (where it could really be a 1-byte challenge) but still much simpler than the full whatever-bits of the signature

Like arm11 exploits, sighax is useless by itself, but it can be implemented in other applications, like a future "free a9lh" replacement, not based on a N3DS-kernel's secondary exploit, but 100% homebrew code just reading arm9loaderhax.bin from nand/SD

This in turn means that, on every 3DS vulnerable to sighax (and they're likely not going to create a new CPU with an updated bootrom now),
1- they will forever be able to install this "free a9lh" with a hardmod (or arm9 exploit), regardless of version and without any downgrading
2- repair consoles with a corrupted nand and no backup

-----

While completely unrelated from sighax, the bootrom being dumped (a de facto prerequisite for sighax) will also mean the ability to decrypt titles directly on a PC (so, more convenient romhacking and emulation)

Plus, while not exactly exciting points for most people:
3- modding will be possible with 100% legal downloads (no more need for 2.1 mirrors, data input v3, ...)
4- Richard Stallman might consider buying a 3DS

Last edited by Ryccardo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-