Gaming Can PSN use WEP Security?

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I had a WEP security on my router, but the Playstation Network did not work. Right now, I have WPA-PSK, but for some reason, only my computer, Wii, and PS3 work. But on my DS Lite and PSP 2001 do not work. It's either that it cannot obtain the IP adress or it cannot find it at all.

So I'm planning to change my security settings back to 128-bit WEP. Is Playstation Network going to work?

Thanks in advance.

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PSN shouldn't have a problem using WEP encryption. The reason your DS Lite doesn't work on your WPA connection is because it simply does not support WPA. I assume this is the reason for your PSP as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thoob said:
PSN shouldn't have a problem using WEP encryption. The reason your DS Lite doesn't work on your WPA connection is because it simply does not support WPA. I assume this is the reason for your PSP as well, but I'm not 100% sure.
Oh okay thanks.

I might upload a picture on the psp right next to the router.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WEP has been supported since like the ps3 first firmware
WPA I think requires a firmware update

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
WPA's been supported since 2.50. Do you know how to log into the router?

MrCooper said:
If you don't know the security code to your own router please jump off a cliff.
Oh, so you came out of the womb knowing how that works and how to get that info?

No? Then why is it such a crime for somebody else to not know?

Read: Idiot.
http://gbatemp.net/t263477-what-is-an-idiot

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
What I quoted from you and what I'm discussing has nothing to do with what you just posted, but good try.
tongue.gif

.Chris

Clueless
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrCooper said:
umm...PSN using WEP? WEP is the security on your router and has nothing to do with logging in to PSN. If you don't know the security code to your own router please jump off a cliff.
Well what I'm saying is that my PSP cannot find my WPA-PSK router, but my Wii, PS3, and computers can.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your "default gateway". Write those down. Go open any web browser, and enter the four numbers (like 192.168.x.x) into the address bar, and press enter.

A login box should come up. The username should be "admin" or blank, and the password can be anything from "admin" to "administrator" "pass" to "password" or "password1", or something else if you've set it differently. Ask whoever set up the router what the password to get into it is, or check this page.
http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Then you'll be able to see what sort of wireless security settings you have set up, somewhere in those pages.

ChokeD

The Contributor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian
nice little password link you got there, thanks and uhhh, bookmarked....
smile.gif

@RoboticBuddy

Rydian said:
In your start/globe menu, go to the "run" command. If you're on vista/7, you'd use the little white box near the bottom. Type in "CMD" and press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.

In the black box that comes up, type "ipconfig" and press enter. It'll list a series of four numbers as your "default gateway". Write those down. Go open any web browser, and enter the four numbers (like 192.168.x.x) into the address bar, and press enter.

A login box should come up. The username should be "admin" or blank, and the password can be anything from "admin" to "administrator" "pass" to "password" or "password1", or something else if you've set it differently. Ask whoever set up the router what the password to get into it is, or check this page.
http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

Then you'll be able to see what sort of wireless security settings you have set up, somewhere in those pages.

Do the above and then go to the security tab and find out what the security key or passkey is. Then use the ssid and the passkey to access the internet on your PSP. If you have an old firmware on a dslite this will probably not work because the dslite never had WPA available at first, but it was available in later updates, so if it's not hacked and is on the latest firmware this would also work for the ds. As for the PSP it was capable from the start. You need to find out the proper passkey for your router using the technique above(quotes Rydian), that's what your hold up is.

If you can not figure out the password to the router and it is YOUR router and not your mom and dads
smile.gif
, I suggest resetting the router with the little pin hole usually on the back(little red button usually) and set up a new network assigning them all the same passkey manually and using WPA as security unless the dslite still has old firmware and you want it online also, in which you would set up a WEP network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt