Gaming Can my PSP be fixed?

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was playing PSP zombies and all of a sudden it shut off, so I thought it crashed and turned off. So I took out the battery and put it back in, still wouldn't turn on. I then plugged it in to see if it would work. It turned on and I went to see what the battery was at, I was at 97%. So I decided to test if it would go without the charger and it shut off again, any help

Thanks in advance- Owenge

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
So I was playing PSP zombies and all of a sudden it shut off, so I thought it crashed and turned off. So I took out the battery and put it back in, still wouldn't turn on. I then plugged it in to see if it would work. It turned on and I went to see what the battery was at, I was at 97%. So I decided to test if it would go without the charger and it shut off again, any help

Thanks in advance- Owenge

I'm no electronics expert, but sounds like some charger IC or a chip inside the battery went toast. Take out the battery and smell if it smells like toasted electronics. Mine has a similar problem, except it allows me to turn it back on after a few seconds.

Reactions: Owenge

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a little update: I think it's the battery because when i took it out and used the old one that doesn't stay in it worked well I held it in.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Definitely battery, but most likely, instead of bad battery, it may just be the pins on it, perhaps not good contact or something, because even with a bad battery, it should still stay on for at least a couple seconds.

Owenge

GbaTemp browser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely battery, but most likely, instead of bad battery, it may just be the pins on it, perhaps not good contact or something, because even with a bad battery, it should still stay on for at least a couple seconds.
would there be a easy fix or should i just buy a new one?

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Always good to keep a spare handy....

IMG_3750.JPG

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
would there be a easy fix or should i just buy a new one?
Just look at the pins and see if they are as they should be. If they are, then it is just a terribly bad battery, so get a new one.

Always good to keep a spare handy....

View attachment 117182
That's not keeping a spare, that's overkill like owning a store with replacement stuff:P Got any analogs btw? The most common part that needs replacing on PSP is by far the analog, not the battery!

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not keeping a spare, that's overkill like owning a store with replacement stuff:P Got any analogs btw? The most common part that needs replacing on PSP is by far the analog, not the battery!

Yeah, I've been accumulating stuff for decades. Comes in handy. You know the 'merchant' in RE4? That's real life. ;)

Analogs? You mean the little thumb pad thing?

IMG_3748.JPG

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Yeah, I've been accumulating stuff for decades. Comes in handy. You know the 'merchant' in RE4? That's real life. ;)

Analogs? You mean the little thumb pad thing?

View attachment 117183
Yup, the analog stick. Because the PSP's analog is incredibly sensitive (for higher precision), it also gets decalibrated over time and as there is no way to recalibrate it, the only option is to replace it.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, the analog stick. Because the PSP's analog is incredibly sensitive (for higher precision), it also gets decalibrated over time and as there is no way to recalibrate it, the only option is to replace it.

Ah, right. Now that you mention it, I did have a PSP a few years ago with a messed up stick. It wanted to lean in one direction, very annoying.

I've got all sorts of stuff, including units in need of repair. I'll go through a box or two and get back with you...

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sounds like it's a battery problem. Before trying a replacement or anything, definetly try some cleaning with pins and see if they aren't out of place or anything. If nothing works, go for a new battery.

Old

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, I'll try to fix it today :lol:

@Old where did you get that clear shell

I got it from a very well known online store in China. (Not gonna name the place just in case, might be a violation of house rules.)

A friend had convinced me that "Yes, the shell swap process is so easy that even I could do it with my limited tech skills".....well, guess what? Didn't work out so well, sigh.
This is why I'm a drummer and not a guitarist. HULK SMASH!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool