Hardware Can I take off the metal cover on a USB connector?

HomebrewingNeko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am looking at trying to make a custom USB drive for myself. When I am looking however, I cannot seem to find any good options for a slim connector (ones that look like this). I then realized that I could theoretically remove the metal USB cover from a standard USB drive. Would this be feasible?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, The shield serves two purposes, (1) To protect from over-the-air ESD events, and (2) to shield internal high-frequency noise from being emitted out and meet emission regulations for EMI levels.

HomebrewingNeko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't fully understand your point. Do you mean yes, I could remove it, but it would be a bad idea? Also, if that 2nd point was the case, wouldn't that make the thin ones online illegal?

LostRabbit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hah, i read "metal cover" and thats why im here. need to get some coffee, hahah

Uhmm, why you wanna have a slim connector? Doesnt seem like a common thing to do. Yea, i guess it serves some purpose, not sure about removing that and if it really matters much. Never really liked those slim connectors tbh, are there advantages? :wtf:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1