Gaming can i run xLive if the box is moded?

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
if my xbox has been moded to run well yaknow, can i still connect to xbox live to download the new firmware?

i'm afraid they'll be able to detect some change and remotely brick it or something.

also with backups and iso's that i burned to cd's, can i play multiplayer games over the net?

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Yeah you can connect to live no problem if its just been moded. At the worst your console may be banned from live in the future, it will still be usable you just wont be able to go online for multiplayer and updates. They dont brick the consoles.

You can play your backups online fine unless they detect that your console is moded, then they will ban you from live like I said.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well from everything I've heard if you sign in online it basically corrupts what you've got and playing games online also doesn't work due to game updates which detects something or other and makes isos unuseable or something.

I'm not entirely sure but I do think that this information is correct I'll check with my friend when he comes online he has more experience than I in this matter

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
DarkWay said:
well from everything I've heard if you sign in online it basically corrupts what you've got and playing games online also doesn't work due to game updates which detects something or other and makes isos unuseable or something.

I'm not entirely sure but I do think that this information is correct I'll check with my friend when he comes online he has more experience than I in this matter

Im pretty sure your 100% wrong on this one, like you literally couldnt be more wrong!

Unless im completely wrong!
unsure.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to have to side closer to p1ngpong on this one.

From all the info and forums i've been a part of, you can log on and play multiplayer burnt games, BUT, if your modded system or burnt game is detected (dunno how or why) you will be perma-banned from XBL with that console. No reverting back to normal and re-signing up. You're done w/ that console. However, it won't brick your system or anything.

But thats the reason i haven't modded my 360 (yet? heh). Even though i don't have it connected to the net, once i do, i loves me some Live, and their bannings haven't been understood enough yet (as to WHAT they check for), so its not safe for XBL play w/ a modded system
smile.gif

Hope that helps!

teddycow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Yeah you can connect to live no problem if its just been moded. At the worst your console may be banned from live in the future, it will still be usable you just wont be able to go online for multiplayer and updates. They dont brick the consoles.

You can play your backups online fine unless they detect that your console is moded, then they will ban you from live like I said.

Not true!

You cant play live if your xbox has been moded. Unless there is a on-off switch, you wont even be able to connect, especially if it's flashed.

QUOTE(WildWon @ Dec 2 2008, 08:53 PM) But thats the reason i haven't modded my 360 (yet? heh). Even though i don't have it connected to the net, once i do, i loves me some Live, and their bannings haven't been understood enough yet (as to WHAT they check for), so its not safe for XBL play w/ a modded system
smile.gif

Hope that helps!

He didn't say 360....just xbox, with other words, ordinary xbox.

But if he meant 360, then yeah...you can log on to live, but as previously said, you might get banned, unless it's chipped and you are running genuine games. if it's flashed, you are fucked either way.
Oh, for that info, you dont download the new firmware if you have moded your xbox. That could fuck up your box. There are updates for every chip/flash, get those updates instead.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
teddycow said:
He didn't say 360....just xbox, with other words, ordinary xbox

This is not meant to be a dick question, but is XBL still running for a good ole xbox? I honestly didn't know, if it is, i just assumed that xbox means 360 now.

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Well Ive got a flashed console and I go on live with it once in a while, not too often though, and it connects fine, fuck it my first post is correct.

edit: he said the new firmware so im assuming hes talking about 360

Wanted

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
True looks like xbox not 360 but the update is a 360 thing not an xbox thing so... I think it's 360. BTW you can get the update and install it offline if you want. Search for the update on xbox.com.

edit: looks like the update is still not there officially according to the NXE FAQ. They say they will release it for offline 360's. Or get the leaked BETA releases. I think there were two of them. That will give you most of the features but not the extra themes or avatar stuff.

teddycow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WildWon said:
teddycow said:

This is not meant to be a dick question, but is XBL still running for a good ole xbox? I honestly didn't know, if it is, i just assumed that xbox means 360 now.

actually it's. Some places even still sell a yearly package, rare though.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
DarkWay said:

Im pretty sure your 100% wrong on this one, like you literally couldnt be more wrong!

Unless im completely wrong!
unsure.gif

haha yeah well I'll have a legit verdict when my mate signs in on msn as he does things with 360's and I'm sure he's tested this out thoroughly so we'll see.

teddycow said:
p1ngpong said:

Not true!

You cant play live if your xbox has been moded. Unless there is a on-off switch, you wont even be able to connect, especially if it's flashed.

QUOTE(WildWon @ Dec 2 2008, 08:53 PM)
But thats the reason i haven't modded my 360 (yet? heh). Even though i don't have it connected to the net, once i do, i loves me some Live, and their bannings haven't been understood enough yet (as to WHAT they check for), so its not safe for XBL play w/ a modded system
smile.gif

Hope that helps!

and he said he wanted to download the new firmware and as far as I know the new firmware would be the 360's new dashboard look.......I haven't heard of the original xbox being updated recently unless you know some news I've missed

p1ngpong

Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Nah I sign into live once in a while and play backups online, so im pretty certain im right, im just not going to come out and say its fact until the more knowledgeable members see this and confirm what I said. Also yeah new firmware probably means 360, why would xbox 1 have a new firmware when they havent made a game for it in years?

WHERE ARE YOU PRIME!!!????

teddycow

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
p1ngpong said:
Nah I sign into live once in a while and play backups online, so im pretty certain im right, im just not going to come out and say its fact until the more knowledgeable members see this and confirm what I said. Also yeah new firmware probably means 360, why would xbox 1 have a new firmware when they havent made a game for it in years?

WHERE ARE YOU PRIME!!!????

I'm one of the "more knowledgeable" members
wink.gif

You are right, read my first post (edited). You would be wrong if it was ordinary xbox.

Argh, to simplify it:

If it ordinary xbox:

1. You can’t play xlive if it's moded unless there is a on-off switch.
2. No, there haven't been an firmware update for o-xbox and won't be. O-xbox was discontinued as soon as the 360 came out.
3. It's however still possible to play live.

If it's xbox 360:

1. You can play live with both flash and chip.
2. It's very risky.
3. It's much less riskier if it's chipped and genuine games are played.
4. It's very likely that you will be banned.
5. There will be firmware updates for your chip/flash. Get those instead of genuine update.

QUOTE(matriculated @ Dec 2 2008, 09:20 PM) Has anyone been banned using backups that have been stealthed?

Personally: No.
But many people have.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
sorry i did mean the 360. (gba temp wasn't loading for me all day today dunno why)

i actually bought mine modded. so i'm going to cal up the shop owner and ask him if he'll give me a new one if mine gets banned.

i haven't actually connected to live fully yet. but i did run the 'test live connection' thing and it asked me if i wanted to download the update. from what i understand the update is supposed to be a new dash thats more similar to itunes or macs or somehting (only in looks).

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
found this on the teambox forums. it's exactly what i'm worried about:

quote:

>>Anyone else download the dashboard update only to experience the 3 rings of deathor any other problems? I have never had a single problem with my 360, >>bought it over a year ago, July of 07. Well, after downloading the update my 360 would freeze when playing music and games and I would have to restart it.
>>
>>It worked fine for about a week, then last night when I was watching Hancock, it froze again. I restarted it and it came on fine but wouldn't display anything. I >>restarted again, and was greeted with the 3 red rings. My question is why would a software update cause this, or do you think it was just terrible timing? I've >>already filled out a repair form and they are sending me a box so I can ship it.

hankchill

I Pwn n00bs.
Trophies
Website
www.hankchill.com
XP
Country
Canada
Microsoft will not brick your console if it's modded. The worst they can do is ban you, and that's only if you use a dodgy game; if it hasn't been burned properly, or does not have the proper stealth patches, a red flag will raise up on Microsoft's end, even if you don't play it online over Xbox Live. However it's more risky playing online with a burned game unless you're 100% sure it's been stealthed. I know people who've played online with stealthed games for a couple years now and haven't been caught because they're careful.

Oh and don't play games early either. a lot of people who played the big name games such as Far Cry 2, Gears of War 2 and Call of Duty: World at War got banned, because it was very obvious that people were pirating it since it wasn't globally released to retailers being leaked weeks early.

And remember, once you're banned, your console is banned, so you'll need a new system to connect to Xbox Live. This means no updates for anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1