Can I load backups over network?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by paintispaint, Jan 23, 2019.

1. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    I may or may not have an unused 6TB NAS, a Wii U and a dream of the ultimate home console (well, nintendo wise anyway).

I want to get a complete library of all wii u, wii, gamecube, and vc games and access them on a hacked Wii U. There are a lot of things that could shut this down, but the most important one I can think of is:

Can I even load a backup from a SMB network share?

2. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    also as an aside I have to give modern vintage gamer on youtube credit for giving me the idea, I had no idea the Wii U was so versatile.

3. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    I've never heard of any smb loading for Wii U, don't think it exists.

4. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    There is none. Wii needed a rewritten CIOS. Some work was started but abandoned long ago. WiiU would require a new loader to be written to mount WUD images.

I did all kinds of things from having 2 HDD's (1 for WiiU, 1 for Wii/GC/emu), then eventually just moved down to putting Wii/GC on a larger SD and WiiU on an external HDD. Would be nice to load from network though! I do that with the PS3.

5. SCOTT0852

SCOTT0852 Some Dude on the Internet

Jan 20, 2018
    United States
    Nope, and loadiine was already slow enough...

6. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    Righto, thanks for the info people. Shame it can't be streamlined over network I don't think it would have been much slower than an HDD (depending on if the Wii U has 5g wifi/usb3.0).

7. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    In theory, you could use a SBC with USB OTG to run a Linux USB Mass Storage gadget with the disk image on a network share.

paintispaint likes this.
  8. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    This gave me an idea, I've gotten my old nvidia shield out and using cifs manager and a paid app called USB SHARE I've mounted my network share to a directory into /mnt and have shared it over usb.

Now being honest I don't even own a Wii U right now but that can wait, I'm going to pull out my old Wii and see if it'll recognize the "drive" and can load .wbfs from it. wish me luck. If that works I'll probably move forward with grabbing a used Wii U

also as a test: got 12MB/s copying a file from the usb 2.0 interface on my tablet, not sure how that'd compare to the read times from the dvd drive onboard but hopefully if it does work it's not *too* slow.

Last edited by paintispaint, Jan 30, 2019
  9. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Canada
    Quebec, Canada
    That won't do, it has to be a block device that the Wii U can format.

paintispaint likes this.
  10. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    The other big issue that nobody has cover yet is you can only install 300 WiiU games and apps to the WiiU. So your dream of having the complete set of WiiU games on the WiiU isn't even possible because of this issue.

paintispaint likes this.
  11. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    PS3 custom firmware have something similar to a virtual emulated drive. If the wii u could do that with games (Especially disc ones) then you wouldn't have to install that many titles. The system would just think it's a disc inserted into the system and play it using the single disc channel. :ninja:

paintispaint and AmandaRose like this.
  12. AmandaRose

AmandaRose Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Glasgow
    Yep but wouldn't that be near impossible due to the BCA WiiU discs have? For the WiiU to think a disc is inserted it needs to read the BCA on the WiiU disc but when dumping a game from disc the BCA is not copied so would be missing.

paintispaint likes this.
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Maybe? There are wifi enabled SD cards and USB HDDs, some of which you could run your own code on and mount a remote file share.
    I can say for sure that it won't work with the stock functionality. But it could potentially work with Loadiine from SD, or Mocha's beta (and slow, only partially working and abandoned - but still working if you are willing to jump through hoops to install games) FAT32 USB support.

paintispaint and SCOTT0852 like this.
  14. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    Hey all thanks for the continued input and commentary.

I saw a Wii u for $80 on FB marketplace last night and impulse bought it, going to try and see what I can and cannot do this weekend, wish me luck!

As for helping with some of the known issues already:
    Probably going to have to have a second non network drive setup for the WiiU games themselves, and just use the network share for Wii (and maybe GC if they can share a drive?) games. I'm sad about this but I don't see a way around it and at least I can unload some of the storage hassle onto the NAS still.
    Bypassing the 300 item limit seems possible with the system config menu tool available through homebrew, is this correct? I also am looking at the all in one guide and it looks like loadiine supports USB loading directly if I read the phrasing right ("USB = WUP Installer Method, redNAND, or sigpatched sysNAND (CFW), Loadiine GX2 using latest Mocha").
    I also need to find out what redNAND and sigpatched sysNAND are and if they'll be useful in achieving my goals or better than loadiine in general.

Last edited by paintispaint, Jan 31, 2019
  15. paintispaint
    OP

paintispaint Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2011
    United States
    Sweet Jesus it works (kind of)

I later did a test of Smash bros for Wii. U off the actual 1TB HDD I have for testing and it took...well I stopped timing it after 4 minutes. Oddly enough once it was in the game it wasn't laggy between menus or even loading battles so not sure what's up there.
    Would probably be worse over network so I'm really looking at the idea of installing them as channels instead if that'll improve load times unless someone has any tricks for speeding up loadiine.

MRJPGames likes this.
  16. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, Loadiine is just way too slow to be useful. If you think 4 minutes is bad, try playing something like SM 3D World or Twilight Princess, the 30-1min load times between zones is brutal. If you install them as channels, they have to be installed either to the NAND (which doesn't have much space) - or to USB, but the caveat being that it has to be a WiiU formatted drive which means it can only contain WiiU games. You can't partition it, as the console formats the entire drive.

I just ended up buying a 256GB SD card and put the GC/Wii stuff on that, and having a single external USB for WiiU - about as minimal as I could get. But sadly network loading never got off the ground for Nintendo.

Do enjoy NAS loading of PSX, PS2, PS3 through the NAS though. But I figured my setup is about as simplified as it can get. I used to have two drives with one hidden, but required caddies with power. THis way I have all the older games on SD since they take up less space, and a console powered WiiU disc.

17. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    With loadline being slow is that an issue with the program itself or an issue with not using a class 10 sd card?

18. gunner007

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    It's the console itself. The SD reader inside the WiiU isn't all that great - and the issue with Loadiine is you're using unpacked files. Some games like SM3DW and others have 12-13K+ files. So large number of small size files + seek time = sadface.

Depending on games, sometimes you can have better luck with changing cluster sizes. But there's just some games like the SM3DW and LOZ that just have so many small files that you end up with 30sec to 2 min load times between levels/cutscenes. I know when I originally played SM3DW, it was like 2 minute load times on a 128GB SD. Made dying painful XD

For some games with few large files, Loadiine works well. It just got cast aside once USB support was a thing and the cost of HDD was cheaper than SD. That's why when USB support arrived, I just turned my SD card into a Wii/GC/homebrew.

cvskid likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted