Homebrew Can I get some up-to-date help?

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey all. Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, and also, sorry if this is a stupid post.

I'll try and make this short and simple. I'm 100% new to the 3ds, let alone the hacking/homebrew scene as I only just bought one off a friend last month with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Moon.
They're both completed story-wise and I recently found out about PKheX which I wanted to explore and have some fun with.

Turns out that, I seemingly need to hack my 3ds to access/edit saves and after researching a little, I found that everyone seems to recommend 3ds.guide, but I ran into an issue.

I have an old 3ds, and because of this, it seems I need a second 3ds to complete the guides instructions, which I don't have and I'm not going to buy just to mess around with fake pokemon.

So, I just wanted to know what my options are really, are there alternative methods that work? I'm only trying to get PKheX usable, I'm not looking to use any other feature that these 3ds hacks/homebrew provide. Also, if there are no alternative options, does anyone know how long I'd likely need to wait (if at all) before some other exploit becomes available?

EDIT: Forgot to mention my 3ds version is currently ( 11.5.0-38u )

Last edited by Mechadream,

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Hey all. Firstly, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, and also, sorry if this is a stupid post.

I'll try and make this short and simple. I'm 100% new to the 3ds, let alone the hacking/homebrew scene as I only just bought one off a friend last month with Pokemon Omega Ruby and Moon.
They're both completed story-wise and I recently found out about PKheX which I wanted to explore and have some fun with.

Turns out that, I seemingly need to hack my 3ds to access/edit saves and after researching a little, I found that everyone seems to recommend 3ds.guide, but I ran into an issue.

I have an old 3ds, and because of this, it seems I need a second 3ds to complete the guides instructions, which I don't have and I'm not going to buy just to mess around with fake pokemon.

So, I just wanted to know what my options are really, are there alternative methods that work? I'm only trying to get PKheX usable, I'm not looking to use any other feature that these 3ds hacks/homebrew provide. Also, if there are no alternative options, does anyone know how long I'd likely need to wait (if at all) before some other exploit becomes available?

Have you fully read the guide? IIRC, there are other options.

You have posted in the right section, btw.
Could you give out details such as System Version ect.
upload_2017-9-9_20-13-59.png

Because so far, your options in my eyes are Soldering (you can get this sent off to people if you don't wish to I believe, if you're that trusting) or you can use ntrboot. The site (GBAtemp) promotes the usage of a ntr site which is easily accessed as you can see scattered across the site. This is, of course, R.E CFW.

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you fully read the guide? IIRC, there are other options.

You have posted in the right section, btw.
Could you give out details such as System Version ect.
View attachment 98253

Because so far, your options in my eyes are Soldering (you can get this sent off to people if you don't wish to I believe, if you're that trusting) or you can use ntrboot. The site (GBAtemp) promotes the usage of a ntr site which is easily accessed as you can see scattered across the site. This is, of course, R.E CFW.

Oh sorry, I thought I done that. Version is 11.5.0-38u I'll add it as an edit as well

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That essentially should leave you with these options regarding 3DS guide.
View attachment 98254

Don't think I'm gonna solder my 3ds... Guess I'll order a flashcard, and you're sure I'll be able to use PKheX to mess with my saves if I do? I'm just concerned as my pokemon games are hard copies, not digital downloads, or is all the relevant info on the SD card? Again sorry, I'm clueless and trying to make sure I do this right and not waste money etc

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Don't think I'm gonna solder my 3ds... Guess I'll order a flashcard, and you're sure I'll be able to use PKheX to mess with my saves if I do? I'm just concerned as my pokemon games are hard copies, not digital downloads, or is all the relevant info on the SD card? Again sorry, I'm clueless and trying to make sure I do this right and not waste money etc
Mhm, Hexing refers to save editing. You can dump saves to the SD card and edit them via that way.

No trouble, it's better to ask then become arrogant and end up with a bricked system.

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mhm, Hexing refers to save editing. You can dump saves to the SD card and edit them via that way.

No trouble, it's better to ask then become arrogant and end up with a bricked system.
Not sure I understand, "dumping saves to the SD card" the save files I want to edit are on the legit game carts I own and currently play. Will I be able to get to those save files, edit them and put them to use on the actual carts themselves? Is the R4's sole purpose here just to provide a means to access the save files for my PC to view properly?

Last edited by Mechadream,

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Not sure I understand, "dumping saves to the SD card" the save files I want to edit are on the legit game carts I own and currently play. Will I be able to get to those save files, edit them and put them to use on the actual carts themselves?
Yes, dumping saves is a simple process.

You're extracting the save file to your SD card, easiest option would be via JKSM. Using a save editor, you edit this save on from your SD card. After that, you save the edited save file onto your SD card, replacing the old one (of course, back up old saves in case of corrupted save files) then using JKSM (or whichever method you'd comfortably with) you'd inject your save into the game essentially, so you've edited your save. The thread I linked should help explain really.

It's not too hard.

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, dumping saves is a simple process.

You're extracting the save file to your SD card, easiest option would be via JKSM. Using a save editor, you edit this save on from your SD card. After that, you save the edited save file onto your SD card, replacing the old one (of course, back up old saves in case of corrupted save files) then using JKSM (or whichever method you'd comfortably with) you'd inject your save into the game essentially, so you've edited your save. The thread I linked should help explain really.

It's not too hard.

Alright, cool, thanks a bunch for the fast and precise replies. I'm gonna go ahead and look for a card to buy, if you have any recommendations that'd be great, remember I'm only really looking to get to pokemon ORAS/Moon save files and using an old 3ds, so if there's a particular model that is best suited to my needs you know of I'd really appreciate that.
Reading through the post you linked, looks like I'll be following the wifi instructions.

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Alright, cool, thanks a bunch for the fast and precise replies. I'm gonna go ahead and look for a card to buy, if you have any recommendations that'd be great, remember I'm only really looking to get to pokemon ORAS/Moon save files and using an old 3ds, so if there's a particular model that is best suited to my needs you know of I'd really appreciate that.
Reading through the post you linked, looks like I'll be following the wifi instructions.
No problem. You're better looking around for recommendations as it varies, if you need help the Discord Server is a good start for immediate (mostly) replies. I don't really have a clear idea on NTRboot.

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country

You really don't need to faff about, just use jk's save manager

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/

Unless there's something with this Pokémon cheating homebrew you're planning on using that doesn't like the save file produced by jk's save manager. I wouldn't know as I like to play legit rather than hacking the save file.

Last edited by fowler002,

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You really don't need to faff about, just use jk's save manager

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-jks-savemanager-homebrew-cia-save-manager.413143/

Unless there's something with this Pokémon cheating homebrew you're planning on using that doesn't like the save file produced by jk's save manager. I wouldn't know as I like to play legit rather than hacking the save file.

PKheX is pretty much the latest Pokegen/Pokesav if you remember those... PC apps that I can load a save into and edit stuff with. I think I know what I need to do
  • Buy a flashcart (still unsure which one, I'm thinking this one but I'm still searching for the best one for an old 3ds)
  • Flash it with ntrboot (Will learn how to do that when I get there)
  • Learn how to dump a save and access it using my flashcart
  • Learn how to put the edited save back onto the original cartridge
  • Enjoy some pokemon I wouldn't otherwise been able to get

fowler002

Trophies
XP
Country
PKheX is pretty much the latest Pokegen/Pokesav if you remember those... PC apps that I can load a save into and edit stuff with. I think I know what I need to do
  • Buy a flashcart (still unsure which one, I'm thinking this one but I'm still searching for the best one for an old 3ds)
  • Flash it with ntrboot (Will learn how to do that when I get there)
  • Learn how to dump a save and access it using my flashcart
  • Learn how to put the edited save back onto the original cartridge
  • Enjoy some pokemon I wouldn't otherwise been able to get

You're getting it wrong, you're not going to use the cart to dump the save file, you're going to use the cart to hack the 3ds to access homebrew. You will then not use the cart for anything else, well unless you want to play ds games in which case you'll need to unmodify the cart to be able to use it(all of that is explained in the 3ds.guide).
To dump the save file use jk's save manager, unless like I said pkhex doesn't like those save files.

@vinstage Hey I was just checking this post on 11.5 and homebrew. Do you know if there's anything there I can use that I could use?

Just stick to method already mentioned I.e using the flashcart

Last edited by fowler002,

jimmyj

Official founder of altariaism. Copyright jimmyj
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One extra thing : if you hack your 3ds you will not be able to send it for servicing as it will be rejected. Are you sure you want to do this?

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
@vinstage Hey I was just checking this post on 11.5 and homebrew. Do you know if there's anything there I can use that I could use?
I'm afraid not, these exploits could only be installed on previous System Version, (System Versions under 11.5) Otherwise I'd have suggested it in the first place, unfortunately CFW is your only way to go (the previously mentioned methods).

*snip*

Last edited by porkiewpyne,
Reactions: ShroomKing

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You're getting it wrong, you're not going to use the cart to dump the save file, you're going to use the cart to hack the 3ds to access homebrew. You will then not use the cart for anything else, well unless you want to play ds games in which case you'll need to unmodify the cart to be able to use it(all of that is explained in the 3ds.guide).
To dump the save file use jk's save manager, unless like I said pkhex doesn't like those save files.

Just stick to method already mentioned I.e using the flashcart

Alright cool, I'll stop frantically looking for other options, I'll buy an R4 and figure out the intricacies when the flashcart arrives, I posted a little earlier in the thread, but I think This R4 is a flashcart that'll work for me, if not please correct me. Thanks @fowler002 and @vinstage you've both been very helpful, I'll get back to you guys when I've got everything I need to continue, hopefully it all goes well and I won't need to bother anyone.

Reactions: vinstage

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright cool, I'll stop frantically looking for other options, I'll buy an R4 and figure out the intricacies when the flashcart arrives, I posted a little earlier in the thread, but I think This R4 is a flashcart that'll work for me, if not please correct me. Thanks @fowler002 and @vinstage you've both been very helpful, I'll get back to you guys when I've got everything I need to continue, hopefully it all goes well and I won't need to bother anyone.
yea thats one of the Supported cardsdoes work inFW 11.5 as well, so just copy to an MicroSD when it arrives the ntrboot flasher, launch the card via home menu and flash it, now the other part to the ntrvoot equasion do you have a decently strong magnet?

Mechadream

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yea thats one of the Supported cardsdoes work inFW 11.5 as well, so just copy to an MicroSD when it arrives the ntrboot flasher, launch the card via home menu and flash it, now the other part to the ntrvoot equasion do you have a decently strong magnet?
Yeah I got a few magnets around the house

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E