Can game disk updates harm a softmodded Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by z-fighter, May 6, 2010.

May 6, 2010
  1. z-fighter
    OP

Newcomer z-fighter Member

Romania
    Im a noob and i need some info about this. So i installed HomeBrewChannel, DVDx, MIOS patcher, IOS249 and GameCube backup launcher for GC backups. Newer Wii games have updates on them right? I want to know if the updates can harm my Wii or remove the HomeBrewChannel. Any help is appreciated.

2. jaybee

Member jaybee GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Most definitely yes. HB Channel will only be affected if its the older version. I think the newer one is unaffected but i'm pretty certain that the updates will wipe out the custom CIOSes and replace them with stubs. Blank files in other words. If you update and it wipes your softmod you will have to softmod again. If I were you I would block updates with priiloader and update manually but take a backup of your nand first with bootmii backup.

3. z-fighter
    OP

Romania
    The problem is i cant install bootmii as boot2, only as IOS. And the update cant brick the Wii right?

4. ace1o1

Newcomer ace1o1 Member

United States
    The update off of a disc can brick your Wii. It is possible whether or not you have Homebrew or not, but more likely if you have Homebrew installed. [​IMG]

It will remove everything from your Wii if you update by disc.

Try loading from USB for Wii games if you're able to.
    This requires Hermes cIOS222 installer v4 or v5.

5. z-fighter
    OP

Romania
    Do you suggest i dont get into these things because i dont have a NAND backup and i cant install as boot2. If i get it bricked i can throw it out the window and i dont want take that risk. Maybe i should just buy the games second hand. [​IMG]

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    You don't need to install Bootmii as boot2 to be able to install Priiloader/Starpatch and use the patch to block disc updates.

7. z-fighter
    OP

Romania
    I meant that by not beeing able to install as boot2 i dont have a NAND backup and i cant recover from a full brick.

8. elmariachi

Member elmariachi GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    just install Gecko OS

that plays most of the newer original games without the updates ...

9. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Moreover, what Gecko OS does is install the IOS the game wants. After that, you can play it in the disc channel like normal.

10. apoptygma

Member apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I was tempted to just post "Yes" in this topic as a reply but in the name of being more helpful I'll tell you to look around for what are called 'safe' updates if you really want to get new system software on your wii, they will install without doing all the nasty things nintendo's updates do like deleting your precious homebrew.

11. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    I am in the same place as you, and your best bet is a USB Loader. No brick, even with custom Crap channels.

12. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    If you have preloader you should be fine and just get around it with patch skipping. Just rip it to a Hdd and play it from there. When you rip it, some USB loaders dont even rip the update sections.

13. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    use Xflak's NUS autodownloader. From there download the IOSes and Systemmenu and install them with a Wad Multi mod manager

14. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Define "a full brick". If you install priiloader along with bootmii as an IOS, you'll have pretty much the same protection as a boot2 bootmii.

...if you do the trouble of actually making a nand backup, that is. [​IMG]

(extra note: I did some searching...bootmii as an IOS uses slot 254, which isn't one of the cIOS slots that gets stubbed on a 4.2 update...so the chances of accidentally getting your bootmii IOS removed are currently quite low)

15. z-fighter
    OP

Romania
    Thank you for all your replyes, i have one last question: which are the best usb loaders?

16. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Most people say the best USB Loader is Configurable USB Loader. And don't listen to the poster that said that you need cIOS222; you DON'T need it.
    What cIOS249 version are you running?

17. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
  18. jaybee

Member jaybee GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    For ease of use it has to be usb loader gx

19. z-fighter
    OP

Romania
    Where do i find out what cIOS249 version i have? Is this by mistake? cIOS38r17-Installer

20. sonictopfan

Member sonictopfan GBAtemp Addict

Kuwait
    i pretty much have the same issue, i softmodded my wii "at store" i'm kind of a noob in that manner, so i didn't try doing anything myself otherwise i might risk the wii and i can't afford getting a new one atm!

anyway i accidentally updated the homebrew and now it's a blank channel, however everything else seems to work fine and the channel where i run copied games is still there and functions fine, now i bought a new game a month ago and found out it requires an update but i wouldn't dare!

my question is, is it possible to upgrade my mod "at store of course" from that point? and what are the chances for me to lose the saved data or brick the wii?

i'd like to point out my mod is outdated as there are already updated mods like NeoGamma!