Can backup games really ruin the laser?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Zonix, Feb 14, 2009.

Feb 14, 2009
  1. Zonix
    OP

Member Zonix GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Can it? I've searched the site and some say yes and some say that it's only a myth and it doesn't ruin the laser. So, can backup games really ruin the laser, or does it only depend on what kind of disc you burn the game on and such?

Thanks in advance.

2. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    I really dont know personaly i've played alot of backups and my Wii seems fine (*knocks on wood) But I Don't play games like COD: World at War cause of the clicking noise ppl talk about. But in reality just use DVD - R (Sony or Verbratium(w/e) or w/e other brand ppl say is good(i personaly use sony dvd - R) and you should be fine and also 5 games = $250 Wii = $250(last i checked) think about it that way.

3. timishu

Member timishu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Backup games will not ruin the laser. This was just some rumor someone started in order to scare people out of making backups. Go ahead and use them.

4. Zonix
    OP

Sweden
    What do you mean with that? :/

5. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    If you pirate 5 games it equals the same amount as buying a new wii.

6. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    Not counting budged games and secondhand.

7. Zonix
    OP

Sweden
    Ok, but what does that have to do with things? :/

8. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Possible, but extremely unlikely.

9. klyick

Newcomer klyick Advanced Member

United States
    Myth.

End of story.

10. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Adam and Jamie should test this.
    But I bought my Wii shortly after launch and got it chipped. I've played dozens of games (nearly all backups), and wii is still working just fine. No disc erros, no strange noises.

11. Trigger_Happy

Newcomer Trigger_Happy Advanced Member

United States
    Yep, myth. I spent half a year playing backups and Brawl, a game that is rather sensitive to laser problems (dual layer, if there is a little dust or something you can potentially have Disc read errors, yadda yadda, a little google search will explain the problem). The only reason why my Brawl doesn't work now is because of the dusty conditions I (unfortunately) subjected it to. I feed my Wii Verbatims and Memorex DVD-Rs, but it's not only the brand that matters, it's the material that the DVD-R is made of (both of my 50-Spindle packs are high quality DVD-Rs). Verbatim usually gets the higher quality ones as well as RITEK from what I have heard.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

I remember reading all these stories about people who hate pirating with an unusual passion and love making up rumors and being stubborn with people who obviously disproved them, going as far to say "Well, I am right, enjoy your bricked Wii when it happens!" (this is referring to the Homebrew Channel mind you).

12. Zonix
    OP

Sweden
    I got some TDK 16X DVD-R's today and burned 3 games. But I have yet to test them. Do you think it will work?
    EDIT: I burned the games at 8X, since it said so in that "How to burn and such" guide that can be found in the wiiloader question thread.
    EDIT2: They are working fine. [​IMG]

13. Wilson735

Member Wilson735 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've read that the Wii's laser is overstressed slightly when reading from burned discs because of the quality of the dye and the disc itself. Of course, this would probably only minimize life by a few minutes.

14. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    Can backup games ruin the laser ?

Speaking as one who works in the laser industry, NO.
    If they could, CDRs would screw up your stereo equipment and all your optical media drives on your PC would die also. The difference between a pressed and a burnt optical disc is more likely to show itself in terms of degradation of the media itself rather than the player.

Now don't be so silly.......... boogeymen cannot hide on your wardrobe either, and half-and-half bread will not cause your toaster to explode in a fireball.

Steroids, however, will cause your testicles to shrink !
    [​IMG]