Hardware Can anybody help with buttons issue?

utpride347

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little long so I apologize.

Hey everyone, I have an issue/question I was hoping to get some help with. I bought a PS Vita (PCH-2000 ) listed as brand new from Japan. I'm now beginning to think it isn't new (the box had certainly been opened) and/or there was some sort of damage to it. It looks immaculate. No scratches or residue anywhere. The only thing I've noticed are the screws look a little faded/worn as does the bar code sticker on the bottom.

Unless I'm clueless about how to work a Vita and am doing something wrong (entirely possible), it looks like the PS button (and maybe the Start, Select and/or touch pads) don't work or have some issue. I didn't really notice at first because I haven't been playing any games just messing with setting language, time/date, Wifi, etc. The PS button for sure does nothing. The Start button does work on the one game I tried (Pausing the game) but it didn't do anything on the Vita home screen/menus/etc. Select I'm not sure about. Nothing happens when I press it but I don't know if that's because it doesn't work or I'm not pressing where it could be used. I read online that they should all make some sort of sound when you touch them on Welcome Park. I didn't get any sound from Select, the PS button ,or the Touch Pads. I can't remember about Start but like I mentioned it did work pausing a game.

The circle button and X button are switched on Japanese versions so I kind of thought maybe something was up with those other buttons as well (they weren't needed with what I was doing, they functioned differently because it's a Japanese model, etc.). Then I realized on certain menu pages I had no way of going back. No button would do it and nothing would appear on screen. I got stuck and would have to shut off the Vita to get back to the home screen. Then I was doing something that required me to press the Start button but nothing happened when I did. All of the rest of the buttons (power, volume, four face buttons), D-Pad, and Joy Sticks seem to work fine. I don't know for sure about the touch pads because I don't know of any way to test them.

I reformatted the drive after reading that Homebrew could cause the button issue ( I haven't modded but in case a previous owner did) but nothing changed. I opened it up but am no expert so really didn't know what I was looking for. Everything appeared in good condition. There wasn't any gunk, visible corrosion, etc. The flex ribbon to the touch pads was disconnected but I don't know if it was like that before or if I did that when separating the case. It didn't look like there was any damage and I was able to get the flex ribbon back in (after some hair pulling). Nothing changed button-wise when I reassembled and turned it back on. I also read a suggestion that I should disconnect the shoulder buttons, and see if that solved anything. It didn't

I can't enter Safe Mode because the PS button doesn't work so hold all three buttons down (Power, PS, R trigger) does nothing.

My question is, what could be wrong with the Vita and is it fixable? What should I be looking for? Is this something I could fix on my own as a novice? Is there something I would need to buy? If so, what (part name/number)? Etc. etc. It would be kind of hassle to try and return it because it's from Japan, but I also don't want to spend a lot when I already bought it "new" and paid a price that reflects that.

Any help you guys could give would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much in advance. Again, apologies for the length.

MrCokeacola

The Xbox Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If it's still under warranty return it. It is not worth the hassle to fix stuck buttons.

When you do get a working Vita it is very easy with soft-mods to switch the O and X buttons of a Japanese Vita.

utpride347

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's still under warranty return it. It is not worth the hassle to fix stuck buttons.

When you do get a working Vita it is very easy with soft-mods to switch the O and X buttons of a Japanese Vita.

Thanks for replying. Like I said, I bought it from Japan and very much doubt it's still under warranty. It was listed as "Brand New" but I don' think it is.

I ended up opening it and found some moisture damage to the board the PS button is associated with. I don't know if it's water or something else, but it left a rust like residue pretty much directly underneath the left analog stick which seeped all the way down to the board. I wiped it off with rubbing alcohol but the PS button still doesn't work. I went ahead and ordered a new circuit board and hope that fixes the problem.

Last edited by utpride347,

utpride347

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did you buy it? eBay? Amazon? Did you use Paypal or a credit card? If so you have a warranty. Water damage is not brand new.

I bought it from eBay using PayPal.

My conundrum is other than the faulty board, the Vita is in excellent condition. No scratches, scuffs, residue, etc. It took forever to get here from Japan and it just seems like a hassle to package it back up, ship it back for a refund, and then hope to find one in as good or better condition.

I did notice the seller changed his listings from "new" to "open box" which is annoying.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the "soft mod" of changing X and O. Didn't know that even existed.

Leen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could try contacting the seller to see if they will refund u money because of the issues. also if u decide to keep it and fix it make sure the boards u get are shipped from a US seller then you won't have to wait so long.

Reactions: MrCokeacola

WarioWaffles

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes buttons corrode right inside the button structure. I once took the plastic layer off and the round metal dome had corrosion under it, i was technically able to remove it but there's no real way to get the plastic layer to stick back on. I ended up buying a roll of buttons from an electronics supplier and attaching new buttons. It's not a realistic repair for most people as you have to have the right tools so if I ran into that problem and didn't have the equipment I would just return it.
My conundrum is other than the faulty board, the Vita is in excellent condition. No scratches, scuffs, residue, etc.

If the seller deals in volumes of vitas he not only probably buys brand new replacement shells and screens but also mixes and matches good motherboards with good bodies he has on hands so it could be a frankenmachine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1